Hub about backlinks - professional opinions please?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Yes, I know backlinks are a well covered subject. However I wrote a hub on them in the most basic way possible answering the myriad of questions I had.

I'm sure there are errors in my hub since I'm learning new things every day. Is anyone able to just double check that I'm technically correct?

Please be nice! smile

http://hubpages.com/t/167b49

Thanks!

1. liljen23 profile image75
      liljen23posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like your hub on backlinks and it clearly discusses what a backlink is.. Great work..

2. Peter Hoggan profile image69
      Peter Hogganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I read your blog, I have a few observations that you might find useful.

If it was the case that links from bad sites or neighborhoods danaged rankings, unscrupulous webmasters would simply link to their competitors from all sorts of FFA pages, banned domains spamblogs etc.

Google and MSN completely ignore nofollow links, Yahoo will follow the link and index the page but will not attribute any benefit to the target page, Ask follows the link and attributes the full benefit of the link to the target page.

Its PageRank not page rank

PageRank is determined by links and links alone, the age of the domain does not factor into this. A page that is not indexed can have PageRank because Google is aware of the links that point to it. A page that has PageRank will maintain it in full even if you exclude it in robots text.

Websites don’t have PageRank individual pages do. PageRank is calculated on a page by page basis based on the links that point to them directly not to the site in general.

1. profile image0
        shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Im no professional. 

However, people need to determine the difference between PageRank  (Reg TM Google) and SERP's.

Page Rank Vs SERP - Search Engine Results Position

Just to be clear..."PageRank" doesn't mean what position a link is given in search engine results. So if you Google the phrase "dog grooming", the order of the results returned is called "SERP" - Search Engine Results Position - not "PageRank". But a page with PR1 can be listed higher in Google results page (SERP) than a PR8 page if it matches other criteria in a manner that Google deems "better".

I dont know if this helps or adds to the discussion, but thought I would post it anyway.

1. Peter Hoggan profile image69

I totally agree shazwellyn, it sometimes muddies the waters when page rank and PageRank are used interchangeably when discussing PageRank. In the context of this article the term IMO was wrongly used. it’s something that irks me probably a lot more than I should let it.hmm

And yes PageRank plays only a very small part in how search engines score and rank pages.

2. WryLilt profile image87
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you both very much. I was sure I'd made at least a few errors - I get most of it but the "technical terms" do get me a bit confused sometimes!

I've just done another three hubs in the last couple of hours so I'll get into it tomorrow and some editing. Thanks again! smile

3. WryLilt profile image87
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Peter could you please clarify a part I'm confused on -
        You say each individual page has a seperate page rank. However writing the same article on hubpages and on a 0 page rank site will see the HP version ranked much higher in the SERP.
        Is this because it's a subpage of hubpages.com which is PR6? Ok my thoughts get a little confused at this point...

2. SteveoMc profile image72
    SteveoMcposted 13 years ago

I have no idea how professional I am, I have a good heart though.  I am pretty far from being professional.   I suspect that your explanation is the first one that I could actually understand.   That's big.   Learning curve for me is steep on the way up and then just levels off.   I am at the incline.   This just gave me a couple of steps forward.   If the information is correct, this is going to be a flagship hub for information that is hard to understand.  Great work.

3. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Just to clarify a few minor points:

"A backlink is a link on someone else's site that leads to your own site or page." No. A backlink is just a link that leads to a site. I can own both the site I am backlinking to and the one I am backlinking from.

The terminology "organic traffic" and "search traffic" mean the same thing--any traffic that is not paid for.

I think Peter covered the other things. I was surprised that you didn't cover internal links at all, as they're just as important to your overall results.

Nice work!

4. Peter Hoggan profile image69
    Peter Hogganposted 13 years ago

It's PageRank not page rank.

HubPages is a trusted authority site so pages can rank well from the get go. That said, rankings often drop off quite quickly after the initial preference to fresh content wears of.

Although the Google Toolbar might show PR0 for your page, PageRank is calculated dynamically, which means, as soon as any page that links to it is indexed PageRank will be updated. However, toolbar PageRank reflected is only updated every three months, so you might have to wait some for it to catch up.

5. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 13 years ago

My professional opinion is I never try and write about something I know nothing about. wink

But you are correct in thinking that hubpages internal linking system is probably stronger than a random personal site. I did an experiment back in October. I wrote 2 similar articles - just for fun - no money to be made on these:

http://markpknowles.com/marge-simpson-playboy-pictures/
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Marge-Simpson-Playboy-Pictures

One I wrote here, the other on my personal blog. I did not do any backlinking - I relied solely on the fact that this was a "hot topic".

Relying solely on internal linking - my personal blog page is a PR1, but the hub page is a PR2.

Traffic wise - similar. Earning wise - nothing. lol

1. Peter Hoggan profile image69

Yep the site architecture of HubPages does a good job in generating inbound links from other internal pages.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)