Buying in Amazon

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Anath profile image63
    Anathposted 13 years ago

Can I buy Amazon products from my own hubs using my gift certificates?  Would I be penalized for doing that or it is perfectly fine to do so?

1. Susana S profile image95
      Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Read the TOS. I'm pretty sure it's not allowed. From what I've read even if you do buy through your own link you won't get any commission.

Maybe you could buy through one of your fav hubbers and let them have the commission? wink

1. Anath profile image63
        Anathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Susana.  I hate reading TOS, It is always easier asking another hubber.

Probably won't risk it then and do as you suggest.

2. Susana S profile image95
    Susana Sposted 13 years ago

Yeah I know reading the TOS is boring as hell!

3. SteveoMc profile image74
    SteveoMcposted 13 years ago

You must not click your own ads.  And furthermore you should not click on other hubbers ads.   Clicking on others ads is questionable because all hubs come from the same site.  If this happens too often, it can look like click fraud. 

Check out Google Adsense: What can I do to ensure that my account won't be disabled?
    https://www.google.com/adsense/support/ … swer=23921

TOS is important to understand when these questions arise.  Reading the whole thing is not necessary, although I have done so.  The TOS of Adsense is specific about clicking on ads or encouraging third party clicking:

Prohibited Uses. You shall not, and shall not authorize or encourage any third party to: (i) directly or indirectly generate queries, Referral Events, or impressions of or clicks on any Ad, Link, Search Result, or Referral Button  (including without limitation by clicking on “play” for any video Ad) through any automated, deceptive, fraudulent or other invalid means, including but not limited to through repeated manual clicks.

https://www.google.com/adsense/localized-terms

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good advice, although the OP is asking about a different affiliate program, Amazon.

4. CYBERSUPE profile image61
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

I agree with SteveMc and Website Examiner.

1. SteveoMc profile image74
      SteveoMcposted 13 years ago

Just when I think I might half way have it, along comes Website Examiner and points out my fatal flaw.   I owe my gratitude to Website Examiner:  Thank You!   

I must be more careful in the future.

2. TinaAtHome profile image67
      TinaAtHomeposted 13 years ago

You should indeed buy things at Amazon by clicking your own ads. You may not get the commission, but it counts toward your volume and the more volume you do the more your percentage commission goes up.

1. psycheskinner profile image82
        psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Incorrect, it is explicitly against their terms of service and can get your account suspended.

3. waynet profile image68
      waynetposted 13 years ago

I always click on someones Amazon links I know if I'm going to buy something and if that is another hubber then that's what I do and my split personality does the same too!!

1. Anath profile image63

love your split personalities waynet smile

4. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years ago

I tried finding this in the operating agreement but my eyes glazed over too many times!

However I did find a post in the Associates discussion group.

Yes, it's OK to click on your own Amazon ads.  You won't get any commission though. 

As others have said, for Pete's sake don't click on your own Adsense or eBay ads though!

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
        Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I didn't know that... You are sure? ... I mean about buying from your own ads.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, just found another two threads that confirm it.

1. psycheskinner profile image82
            psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A year ago I emailed Amazon support when I accidentally used my own affiliate link and they said they would let it pass this one time, but not to do it in the future.  That was from the horse's mouth.

2. Anath profile image63

Thanks Marissa, got that.

5. Susana S profile image95

Thanks for researching this Marisa and finding out the info smile I just had a read through the TOS and didn't find anything that said you can't buy through your own links (although I'm pretty sure it used to say something to that effect). It's good to know we can!

Susana, I couldn't find anything in the TOS one way or the other, but my eyes glazed over so often out of sheer boredom, I thought I might be missing something!  That's why I resorted to the discussion boards.

Yes I understand - it is rather lengthy! I half read, half skimmed it. If it used to say you can't purchase through your own links its not there now.

Something completely off topic here: Do Aussies buy from amazon.com or is there an amazon type site in Aus that they use more?

I don't think many Australians buy from Amazon.com, the postage is a killer!  My husband buys books and DVD's from the States occasionally but only on eBay.

There is no Australian or Asian equivalent.

As a Brit, one thing that struck me when I came to Australia was that Australians don't like buying things by mail order, and I'm wondering if that resistance extends to the internet.  The kind of mail order catalogues you see in the UK are non-existent here, for instance.  Which is odd, when you consider how many Aussies live a long way from shops!

That's very useful info - thanks smile I was wondering about targeting Australian buyers, but I shan't bother! It is kind of strange that they don't tend to buy online - they must like driving, lol.

2. darkside profile image63
              darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I LOVE buying stuff off of Amazon.

There are new sci fi novels that sell for $28 in bookstores here in Australia and on Amazon they've been $6.99. Even allowing for postage and currency conversion that's around 20 or 21 dollars.

With each additional book the price for postage is reduced again.

Season 5 of Stargate Atlantis was available far ahead of its release in Australia and cost me about $25 I think, and that included postage. In Australia when it came out it was $90.

Not that long ago I was comparing prices between stores in Australia (JB Hi Fi, Borders and Sanity) for various television show seasons and the only thing I could get cheaper in Australia was each season of Friends (my daughter is hooked on it after seeing reruns on Foxtel) and they were $20 a season at Sanity (and around $30 to $35 at JB and other places).

I bought both seasons of Eli Stone for $11.99 each (well they were at the time, seems that they've gone up since then).

Living rurally it was an extra bonus because it's 100+ kms for me to get to a decent bookshop anyways.

I have looked up some online Australian book sellers but I did price comparisons and they were a lot more expensive than the actual bookstores.

So Amazon gets a big thumbs up from me. So much so I just bought a Kindle. Which cost a total of AU$250 delivered (And delivered to my front door within 6 days). Today I was actually in at a Westfield and went into JB Hi Fi and I saw an ebook reader there (Pico) for almost $400. It looked very similar but it had a mobile phone type of keyboard whereas the Kindle has a QWERTY keyboard.

I better stop gushing about Amazon now before I make a mess in my pants. big_smile

6. lrohner profile image70
      lrohnerposted 13 years ago

This directly from the Amazon Affiliates site:

You may not purchase products during sessions initiated through your own Associates links and will not receive referral fees for such orders. This includes orders for customers, orders on behalf of customers, and orders for products to be used by you, your friends, your relatives, or your associates in any manner.

1. darkside profile image63

I've never bought an item through my own affiliate links and I've been an associate now for... I think at least ten years. I have a username with a -20 on the end.

It's probably a bit silly of them to have that stance, I mean really, how badly would it effect them? If anything it would only entice people to buy more stuff through Amazon. But rules are rules.

But what you've posted here is interesting, it's saying we can't send friends, family and work colleagues to recommended items to buy stuff? While I accept the ban on myself, that's just plain ridiculous.

And customers?

That can mean EVERYONE. Your hubpages and website visitors could be considered customers right?

1. lrohner profile image70
          lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't agree more.

That said, I couldn't find this in their Operating Agreements or TOS or whatever they call them. But if you go to the generic help screen and look to the right under "Top Questions," you'll see this listed as the last question. I was totally surprised to see it. I don't even understand why they don't want us to buy, never mind our friends and family. They make money regardless. If we return it, we lose our commission on the sale. I just don't get it.

1. darkside profile image63

It's like an employee getting a store discount.

Unless that is the problem, that if by allowing that it legally defines a person as an employee and therefore they have to afford other rights.

But still, the fact that they lump friends, family and just about everyone else means who can we sell to?

Well, I don't think they excluded my dog. smile

7. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years ago

This is interesting.

The thing is, if it's not in the Operating Agreement or TOS anywhere, does a note on their "Top Questions" page have any legal bearing?

Good question. But not so sure I want to test the waters to find out the answer.

8. Susana S profile image95

Well that's interesting - I knew I'd read it somewhere. So we can't sell to customers......hmmmm lol ..... that's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen lol

Previously when I've had stuff to buy from amazon.co.uk, I've gone to other hubbers websites and bought through their links, but I would mix it up and not always go to the same site.

Looks like it's against the rules, but I can't see how they could know? My thinking is someone should get the commission. Not that I'm endorsing breaking the rules! It's just my personal approach tongue

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)