Amazon referral commission

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (16 posts)
  1. shabarigirish profile image60
    shabarigirishposted 13 years ago

If visitor clicks on product ‘X’ in Amazon capsule, reads the review of product ‘X’ in Amazon and navigate to Product ‘Y’ and buys product ‘Y’, do I get the referral commission?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As a matter of fact, I just made my first Amazon sale, and it was for nothing that I had listed in any capsule.

I believe there is a time period wherein anything they buy is credited to you; check the FAQ section for actual values.

2. ns1209 profile image62
    ns1209posted 13 years ago

Short answer is yes you do - if someone clicks through to Amazon when your ads are showing and buys anything you get the commission.   

Unless they delete the cookie and there is also a time limit - not sure how long!

I seem to sell 1 related item to 1 completely unrelated one!

3. Midasfx profile image66
    Midasfxposted 13 years ago

amazon cookies only last 24 hours.

so if they click your capsule for product "x" and end up buying product "y" then you still get commission as long as it was within 24 hours of clicking  through your capsule.

4. arthriticknee profile image67
    arthritickneeposted 13 years ago

No they are not.
    Amazon cookies are single session. As soon as they navigate away from amazon, even if they come straight back, you lose the sale.

1. 2uesday profile image66
      2uesdayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But not if they have placed the item in a shopping cart.

5. lrohner profile image70
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I'd like to try to clear up the Amazon session length. This is quoted directly from the Amazon Affiliates Program Operating Agreement:

We will pay you advertising fees on Qualifying Purchases in accordance with Section 8 and the Associates Program Advertising Fee Schedule. Subject to the exclusions set forth below, a “Qualifying Purchase” occurs when (a) a customer clicks through a Special Link on your site to the Amazon Site; (b) during a single Session that customer either (i) adds a Product to his or her shopping cart and places the order for that Product no later than 89 days following the customer’s initial click-through, (ii) purchases a Product via our 1-Click feature, or (iii) streams or downloads a Product from the Amazon Site if the Product is a Digital Product; and (c) the Product is shipped to or streamed or downloaded by, and paid for by, the customer.

A “Session” begins when a customer clicks through a Special Link on your site to the Amazon Site and ends upon the first to occur of the following: (x) 24 hours elapses from the customer’s initial click-through; (y) the customer places an order for a Product that is not a Digital Product; or (z) the customer follows a link to the Amazon Site that is formatted with an Associate’s tag that is not assigned to you.

So if someone clicks on your link and places something in their shopping cart, that commission is yours as long as they purchase it in the next 89 days. And a "session" lasts for 24 hours unless they place an order, 24 hours go by or they click on another affiliate's link.

I'm pretty sure I got that right. Anyone?

6. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

Okay, I never shop on Amazon so I don't know what the one-click thing is - does it bypass the shopping cart?

FOR EXAMPLE A mother puts stuff with my cookie in the shopping cart (to start the 89 days). The dad comes along and buys a fishing pole with one-click. My tracking cookie is gone, right? No 24 hours, no 89 days - just gone.

1. thisisoli profile image71
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Interesting question, I would also like to know what happens here. I have never personally used one click ordering either so I don't know how it would go.

2. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If mom and dad are using the same Amazon account, this is correct. Also, if the dad went to Oli's site to click through and purchase the said fishing pole and everything else that was in the shopping cart then Oli would get the commission. If he doesn't purchase everything in the shopping cart and only the fishing pole, Oli would get the commission on the pole and the session would be ended.

"However, this 24-hour window closes once the customer submits his order or reenters Amazon.com through another Associate's link. Once the window is closed, you will not earn referral fees on any subsequent purchases. However, if the customer then returns to Amazon.com through one of your Associates links, this opens a new 24-hour window.
      It is of course possible that a customer may arrive at Amazon.com via your Associates link, add an item to his Shopping Cart, and then leave Amazon.com without placing an order. As long as the item was added to the customer's Shopping Cart during this 24-hour window, you will still earn a referral fee if the order is placed before the Shopping Cart expires (usually after 90 days). The referral fee will not be credited to your Associates account until the customer has purchased the item, accepted delivery, and remitted full payment to Amazon.com."

7. lrohner profile image70
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Wow, good question Nelle. Just when I thought I had the durn thing figured out...

I'm pretty sure one-click bypasses the shopping cart, but not positive. I've used it before, but not when I had other stuff sitting in the cart. Next time I buy something from Amazon, I will definitely try it out and see what happens.

8. lakeerieartists profile image62
    lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

Nelle, I don't think it bypasses it, just shortens it.

9. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Until this month I'd never had a sale of items that I actually advertised on my hubs - but I'd only had one sale so that doesn't say much...

Check out this very funny hub by surfidreamer about well... a customer who bought crap on amazon!

http://hubpages.com/hub/Hubpages-Is-Crap

1. brettb profile image61
      brettbposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I once sold a fabulously expensive Karaoke machine. But the sucker who bought it sent it back, and I never got my commission!

10. Fiction Teller profile image60
    Fiction Tellerposted 13 years ago

I think it's the clickthrough and not the putting of the item in the shopping cart that starts the 89 days.

There's also the scenario where a month later, the customer uses another affiliate's link and puts more items in the cart.  Does it override/cancel the items placed in the cart during your clickthrough session?  I don't think so, or they'd have specified that in the same way they specified that your affiliate session ends if the customer clicks another affiliate's link within 24 hours. 

I'd imagine that whatever happens, you get paid for the items that were put in the cart within your session if it fits the criteria (bought before 89 days, via a 1-click purchase, or via instant download.)

And incidentally, I don't think we get paid for items already pre-existing in the cart before the clickthrough.

11. Fiction Teller profile image60
    Fiction Tellerposted 13 years ago

Now I'm confused.

The scenario Nelle describes:

"A mother puts stuff with my cookie in the shopping cart (to start the 89 days). The dad comes along and buys a fishing pole with one-click. My tracking cookie is gone, right? No 24 hours, no 89 days - just gone."

Nelle, do you mean the dad comes along within the 24 hour session?

Or after the 24 hour session?

If it's within the 24 hour session, his purchase ended the session, and you get paid for that purchase, plus anything put in the shopping cart under your code earlier if it's bought within 89 days. (At least, I can't see why not...?)

If it's after the 24 hour session, it doesn't alter the items the wife put in the shopping cart during your session.  Those would still get credited to you if bought.

Your tracking cookie ends with the order, because it ends the session, but the stuff put in your cart during the session remains credited to you.

As I read the text, if an item was put in the cart during your session (which would end at 24 hours, or when he places an order, or when he uses another affiliate's link), then you get paid for it if it's bought within 89 days.  If it gets put in after the session is over, you don't.

And I think if it was put in the cart before your session began, you don't, either, because of the part of the text that says "during a single session", and because I once accidentally placed an order for several items with my code and reported it, but not in time to prevent their appearing in my orders reports the next day,  MINUS the items that had been in my shopping cart already when I started shopping that day but that were included with the order.

But the point is, whether it's 1-click or not shouldn't matter.

I think I'm missing something here.  What am I not seeing?

P.S.  I've submitted 1-click orders before and accepted 1-click as a Marketplace/Auction seller. Yes, you bypass the shopping cart.  It doesn't boot items from the shopping cart, though.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)