New Hubs not showing on Google AdSense

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (27 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 13 years ago

Today was an ordinary day. I came to HP to check up on my stats and published two new articles. Within hours, both articles received upwards of 30 views each. But, some issues seem to be happening either with HP-Google or my understanding of things.

I am of the understanding that all internal views are 60% and all inbound views are 12%?! This would mean both new articles should have approximately 14.75 views. Google AdSense is showing only 1 view for one article and zero for the other.

Thi got me looking and I noticed according to the weekly/monthly views the noticed the percentages are way off. Is this a Google issue or an HP issue?

Many Thanks,

James

1. darkside profile image64
      darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're confusing tracking with the page view split.

1. profile image0
        Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hello, Darkside. So the page split is 60% across the board, yes?
        If yes, I'm afraid, the issue has just compounded daily, with interest...

1. darkside profile image64
          darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you get 60%.

The other 10% (give or take 1 or 2 percent) is when referring traffic. So if you linked to one of your hubs from a blog you'd have a 70% chance that the ad being shown is yours.

There are factors which affect page views and Adsense impressions, such as community service ads.

1. profile image0

Right, I haven't seen much referral on my articles here, yet nor public service ads. About 1-2% come from bookmarking sites like reddit and delicious.

Still @ 60% it should be 24 views for the new articles each. Google is showing 1 imp for the one article and zero for the second. Both articles were published today. 99% of the traffic is showing Hub pages as the originating location, 1% from bookmarking sites...

2. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Remember - your own views count as well, even in the editing phase.

Also, hubpages is on a rolling 24 hour day while adsense is on a static day.

1. profile image0

Hi Wry,
      Yes, I am aware of that. The two NEW articles published today are not showing up on AdSense, yet HP is showing 30+views. My views would count as 3, under the editor mode.

1. WryLilt profile image87
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Probably a dumb question but...

Oh wait Irohner has already said it. Did you set up channels for those two?

2. thisisoli profile image72
        thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

there is a big difference in what adsense classes as a page view and a person viewing your page.

3. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Did you set up URL channels for the hubs in AdSense? If you did, you should see individual stats for each hub.

HubPages gets 40% of the impressions and you get 60%--regardless of where they are coming from. With AdSense, there are two types of ads that can run on your hubs--ads that pay only when people click on them and ads that pay "per impression." I believe the bulk of the ads are "pay per click," and I don't think there's any way for you to determine how many of each type you have. But the only "impressions" that will show up in AdSense are the ones where the "per impression" ads were displayed.

1. profile image0

Yes, I set up the URL Channel immediately after publishing.

Wait, so it is 60% for inbound links too? Wow, then this is now an even larger issue. I know we are paid per impression as well as ad clicks, because the impression to eCPM matches exactly to those impressions released by HP. I am able to see both contextual and individual ad, as well as Ad Impression/Clicks with the CTR.

The issue though is the impressions being released by HP to AdSense do not match those on the HP count in my account. As said, one article is showing zero in (placement or contextual)  impressions, yet 30 views on HP. Those articles were published in the last 8 hours.

I did note on my private site using Google, Kontera & Ad Media that the impression are spot on. This is why I investigated the HP issue.

I know HP posts a main ca-pub-ID plus ours --and rightly so, it's their domain. But the percentages seem obscure based on the above...

I think Irohner is trying to say that normal 'click to get paid' advert impressions don't get listed, only 'paid per view' ones do. Is that right?

If so I hadn't heard that before but it would make sense.

On my google analytics adsense stats however, it says .7 impressions per visit which I take to mean 70% of visits show impressions which I'm happy with (I'm assuming that it varies a little and some of that is from referrals.)

1. profile image0

I might be mistaken, but ad impressions do not count on HP, only ad clicks. But page impressions do count, which is where the 60% comes in. I have Ad impression generators through Feeds, which are off-site and perform well.

2. lrohner profile image69
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure I understand you exactly. A click is a click. An impression is an impression. It doesn't make a difference if Humpty Dumpty sent them.

HP does not release any impressions to AdSense. AdSense records them all on its own.

It's not that any numbers are "wrong," per se. It's just that HP records the visits differently. Quite frankly, it's totally irrelevant how HP records, the pageviews/clicks/impressions. It's all about AdSense.

1. profile image0

Right, but Adsense records the impression post HP, which is how the 60-40 thing works. And ultimately how HP records impressions on a rotating time-line/clock. Which I understand. Even still two articles published today, within the 24 hour clock, would not be effected by the roll over until tomorrow @ noon.

If Google is getting the imp immediately, then why is the issue in the numbers coming up. If this is a Google issue, I will gladly take it up with them, but as said, my other website is 100% accurate. Hence, why I posted the question here. smile

1. lrohner profile image69
            lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Like I said, AdSense impressions and HP impressions will never match. HP records raw data--not good data. (At least from my understanding...) Just like HP data will probably never match Analytics data.

Hypothetically, let's say someone does a Google search for something and they click on the link to your hub, but hit the "back" button before it fully loads. I believe HP will record that, but AdSense/Analytics won't. Google has its set of rules, and HP has theirs. Again, the numbers will never match.

4. profile image0

Second example: my article about Red Bull so far today (26th), received about 15-20 clean views, roughly. GA is saying 4 when it should be 9-12.

Well until midnight (?) when I think the rollover is, your day stats on HP and on adsense won't match due to the rolling day I believe?

1. profile image0

I think they flush @ noon PST. Which would make the new impressions for the Red Bull article 20+. Now if the clock on HP is running a constant 24 hour mode, than every hour the stats change, which is extremely difficult to track, from a user perspective.

5. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Also, Google servers are sometimes slow reporting.  I've noticed that a few timrs when  I hsve done something like change an ad size - lets say I was running a 200x200 and removed it entirely at 2:00.  I might stll see Google reporting clicks an hour later.

1. profile image0

Yes, pcunix, but we cannot change the ads here on HP.
      On my private site, it takes about 30 minutes to show the new ad and begin recording page impressions.

Well, it is now almost 18 hours into it and still Google is not showing one article at all and the other only two views while HP is showing 40 and 40 for these new articles + traffic sources in the stats. To add to this, now another article @20 new views since i posted this query, Google is showing zero. Something is not correct.

1. thisisoli profile image72
        thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hate to be blunt but I am pressed for time today. What is not correct is your understanding of each programs stats tracking.

1. profile image0

Hello Soli, please explain it then.

I fully understand fluctuations or slight variations between HP & Google numbers are expected, but when [now] four articles are showing strong views within the HP 24 hour clock and Google is showing zero or just one view for all four articles combined, that is a huge variation.

To my knowledge Google tracks 24 hours beginning midnight each day. HP tracks 24 hours rotational, either based on the time of publication continuing 24 consecutive hours or on a clock based on 9 AM PST continuing until 8:59AM PST. (the time issue is not the issue since according to the above posts, Google picks up the impression immediately, regardless of the HP internal counter).

Going back to the original issue, Google is showing 1 view in the last 24 hours for 4 articles combined, which according to HP have had a combined 120 NEW views.

2. Pcunix profile image91
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree that a new ad can show up quickly. But the ad it replaced can show up still later.  Sometimes that could be because of cached pages  or someone just returning to an open browser tab, but I suspect that Google servers can sometimes be late reporting, too.

6. profile image0

Hmm. Is there anyone from Hub Staff up there?
    Am beginning to get a tad frustrated, as it is now 36 hours (or more) into this and no resolution in sight. Hubs showing NEW daily views >100, Google showing <20 from HP. If this persists, I see no point in publishing more articles, as they will not earn anything.

Thanks,

James.

7. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I would wait on tomorrows adsense report and see how it goes for those channels.

1. profile image0

Well, now it is nearly 48 hours in. I have seen quite a substantial increase in one particular article. 35 views just today (27th) and no impressions on Google. The other articles I published yesterday and today, are near 60 views with no impressions. So, in my mind, I am looking at all the articles and back tracking to find when/if this "anomaly" occurred.

I contacted Google and they said this: each time our code for ads, pages or analytic data loads, it is considered a page impression, regardless of time spent on the page. Our code automatically pings the originating url, so long as there are no factors of more than one host on any particular URL. (in short, so long as my url is unique to Google, it will automatically consider the page load an impression.) So, with HP ca-pub and my ca-pub id in published pages, I should be showing the numbers without concern, unless there is an HP error in the code. They have also stated, even if one or more ads appears on a page, the page impression is not effected, only the ad impression and competitive ad value are. (In other words, if the ad shows and user clicks, the fluctuation in ad impression value changes based on how long the user had the ad page open or how deep they went into the ad click url).

So this is not a google issue, it is an HP one.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)