jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (6 posts)

Previous - Next Capsule

1. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 7 years ago

I would love to be able to group my hubs together in different ways and to have a chronological view.

Of course I can do this manually, but wouldn't it be nice if HP had a professional looking capsule that we all could use and that visitors would come to recognize as the way to navigate our hubs.

I'm thinking it should ask for a title, which we'd fill in with "Technology Hub", "By Date"  or whatever, and we'd then choose two of our hubs - one for "Next" and one for "Previous"

I'd like to also see a link for "All".   

So, replete with suitable fonts and coloration, it would look like

Previous in Technology Hubs (Building your own lie detector)  -  List All Technology Hubs by this author - Next in Technology Hubs (How to by an Anti-Matter Ray Gun)

We could then add as many of these as we needed when a particular hub fits into multiple places (though I might suggest that three of this kind of link is probably enough)

1. WryLilt profile image92
      WryLiltposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm a little confused.

We have the 'more' button on our profile page.

Also we can group hubs so there is a link at the bottom to see more hubs in that group - although I'd like to see that link in a more prominent place.

Or you can use RSS feeds.

Can you expand more on why this isn't the same as groups?

Pcunixposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You can only put a hub in one group. 

That link at the bottom that should be more prominent is what I'm talking about, except this would let you create multiple linking schemes for a page (though as I said, you wouldn't want to overdo it)

So, my Hub about the iPad could have a link to "Next Review" (and "Previous", of course) as well as "Next 'Puter Stuff")

Also, with this, when you reached the end of a group, your "Next" could come back to the beginning of the group - or link to something else entirely.

These capsules would require more maintenance than groups, but would be much more flexible and would also have the advantage that you can control their placement - you might want to follow them with some closing text for aesthetic value, for example.

I like the idea. Even if they upgraded how groups worked a little. It's bugged me before that a hub can only be put in one group and that groups aren't more obvious to readers.

Pcunixposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You could do this just by extending how groups work, but I like the idea of a capsule because it is more flexible (albeit more work for the hubber).

True. Although since some things around here work fast (like the facebook plugin) and others work slow, I'd be happy with even a slight upgrade to groups. smile

...But yes, a capsule would be good.

working