Bad news for us?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (35 posts)
  1. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

http://www.affiliate.com/blog/?p=2406

Predicts a future not so great for folks like us?

1. Joe Badtoe profile image62
      Joe Badtoeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A man of your knowledge will find other ways PC. Sounds like Google wants the empire.

It's all well these 'experts' at Google predicting what'll happen but bigger guys than them have got it wrong!

A million ads will still little in a recession.

1. Joe Badtoe profile image62

sorry the word 'sell' should be before little

2. profile image0
      andycoolposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The advent of video ads and domination of mobile devices could emerge as blessings in disguise in this part of the industry. Simply it's going to tap a much larger audience which in turn will generate more ad revenues for folks like us. But competition will increase for sure! Today's winners not necessarily will survive in the new era... we've to work even harder.

3. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I actually think that sounds pretty good except for the part about google mobile and verizon (was it verizon?) having special contracts with each other that gives them special marketing ad placement soo...

With that said, you would have an opportunity to write about the ads they are using for the mobile web industry.  I am thinking in the form of apps. ads.

As far as regular internet is concerned, I don't think that will be dwindling anytime soon until the cost of iphones and the likes comes down and the cost of accessing such goodies comes down with it.

I think it is all good, plus verizon and the others who have special mobile web contracts will probably pay better money than regular google advertising.

I think this would effect the people who pay for advertising more than the people who advertise for pay adword vs. adsense I mean. smile

2. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

It depends on how this site evolves to meet with changes in the marketplace as and when they emmerge.

I could pick up a very big positive there, and that is "Display advertising will become a $50 billion industry". That is twice the size of the current market.

If Hubpages continues to innovate year-on-year, then I can see no reason why it should be bad news. It should be noted that mobile phone technology now, and mobile phone technology in 2015, will be two completely seperate entities. Who would have invisaged the release of the iPad three years ago?

The changes seem to be more of an issue for developers rather than affiliate marketers. No doubt owners of Wordpress sites will find 5 plugins to solve their problems, and Hubpages will become increasingly mobile friendly if needed. The likelyhood is that mobiles will become more internet friendly.

This doesn't worry me, change should be embraced. It won't happen overnight either.

1. David 470 profile image82
      David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree, but this does scare me a bit. Hubpages will probably adapt with changes and this change will not happen overnight, and most likely not for quite some time....

3. dutchman1951 profile image61
    dutchman1951posted 13 years ago

google like many other sites will come and go, we shall see, but..it does not look to good for sure.

4. waynet profile image70
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Video ads will become the dominant advertising medium, as it should be really and am making steps to cover that area....not a lot of changes really, just stuff we can adapt to. Internets and intranets do evolve.....The future looks bright until the world blows up through alien invasion!! smile

5. profile image0
    Rhysjcposted 13 years ago

I'd say it may even be a good thing for us. It could bring more traffic our way and also cause our ads to be more noticeable. It all really depends on how the HubPages and it's community evolves.

6. Joe Badtoe profile image62
    Joe Badtoeposted 13 years ago

Either that or the flood of video will become as passe as powerpoint.

too much of anything usually becomes outdated.

7. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

Surely the article relates to text ads becoming superseeded by video ads?

It seems rather simple to me. If that happens, we have to permit video ads. The Ad Blocks will have to change a little, to become video sized rather than banner or skyscaper shaped.

And surely that is the sole solution? Easy peasy. Yes video ads are annoying, but if thats where the money finds itself, then thats how you monetise your content as and when the change happens.

If the prediction is correct we will all have a much bigger pot of money to fight over. I would be happy to make the compromise.

The reality is that people will get so sick of video ads that they will all get Ad Blocker and they will have to return to text ads. That is certainly the path that I can envisage.

Text survived the papyrus, the slate, the handwritten book, the print book, the digital print, and has so far survived all other forms of digitalisation. I see nothing to fear.

1. Blogging Erika profile image67
      Blogging Erikaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just what I was going to say!  I read their predictions about video ads and "social media-enabled ads" and noted that they didn't include a prediction about Ad Blocker. 

With trends like that, I'm guessing Ad Blocker is going to be bigger than Facebook by the time this decade is out!

8. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

Change is going to happen everywhere. I think being at this site we will be the first to know what is changing and how we are going to need to adjust. There might be better/easier oppurtunities ahead!

9. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 13 years ago

75% of all ads will become “socially enabled”.  Meaning that consumers will be able to share them with friends, comment on them, and provide feedback.

God, they would have to be blooming good videos!

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol  lol   The same thought occurred to me.   smile

1. profile image0
        shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

10. GmaGoldie profile image81
    GmaGoldieposted 13 years ago

Great post - fascinating.

Two items:

1.) Mobile Internet
    Question:
    How does Hub Pages currently hit the mobile market?  I don't have mobile Internet.

This is my biggest fear.

2.) Video
    Also,does this mean Hub Pages will focus more on videos for content in the future?

11. Joe Badtoe profile image62
    Joe Badtoeposted 13 years ago

There will be the goldrush

A few will make serious money

a few more might make decent pocket money

millions more will arrive late and fight over scraps

If what the googlemeisters say will come true we will live in a world where no one goes outside, meets real people and has normal unabbreviated conversations.

I have no desire to spend 90% of my life in front of some kind of screen.

We should cut out the middle man and walk zombie-like around the malls and shopping centres of europe with our credit cards inserted into our foreheads and we just get swiped when purchasing and we become our own bank offering loans to ourselves and beating ourselves up when we get overdrawn.

And then it will be time to stick a fork in our asses turn us over and we're done.

I predict the new online dawn will be an eclipse in a microwave.

You heard it here first.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I suspect that there is going to an anti-climax for you Joe. This type of gross over-exageration makes me realise precisely where the following types of scaremongering emerge from:

1) The Millenium Bug or whatever it was supposed to be called, where the entire digital world would die at 00:00:00 01/01/2000. Nothing happened. Actually nothing.

2) The Bird Flu epidemic. Which turned out to be one of the tamest flu 'epedemics' in the recorded history of man, with less casualties than almost any other illness.

Anybody got any more to add? Obviously the 2012 end of the world will be added to that list soon, I'm sure that there was some comet which never reached us too. That BP oil spill which was going to devestate economies and livelyhoods didn't exactly do as much damage as anticipated did it? It made the fishermen so rich that they aren't bothering to actually go out and fish now that the waters are reopening, they earn more money from BP!

1. waynet profile image70
        waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I got one...Recession, What recession? economic crisis bah smile

1. profile image0

Because everybody in Hull was already skint anyway? tongue

1. waynet profile image70
            waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, you're right, unemployment is the highest it seems in this area of Yorkshire, glad I could finally scrape self employment.

2. Joe Badtoe profile image62

Well Ryan I guess you sometimes miss the irony.  Quite what bird flu has to do with the world cocooning itself in front of a computer is beyond me.

My point is that video technology is simply another screen to watch on top of pc tv and mobiles. This might be an exciting aspect of your life (no offence with this just an observation) but frankly the idea of millions of people pouring content (I suspect large portions of this content will be regurgitated) across several mobile mediums just bores me.

You see technology differently to me that makes neither of us right.

And I'm not the only one who understands that the invisible entity of the interent can be switched off or susceptible to breakdown. As another poster out where's all the bandwidth coming from?

And only some content is king not all of it.

You enjoy being a techie I'll enjoy being a cynic.

Keep smiling.

12. CYBERSUPE profile image61
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

Great reading for a newcommer like me. I just love the discussions between members. Keep it up everone.

1. profile image0

I'm not sure that with 7 months of membership and 203 forum posts you can really be considered too much of a newbie! Thats quite a long time in the Hubpages world!

13. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

In asia, some ISP's are limiting users on bandwidth(part of internet censorship,rest is business made from selling GB bandwidth packs). Even with 3G i see no increase in speed on mobile.

If we are talking about US,UK,CA market then sure video and mobile marketing will increase. For the rest of the world ? Forget it for next 5 years.

14. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 13 years ago

All we need to do is keep producing content that people are searching for and the ad agencies can fight about how to best compete for our content.  Content will always be king. 

Sure the younger generations are going to flock to the mobile devices to surf but there are still going to be plenty of us who cannot stand going on the internet with an 2 inch screen and limited access to full rich media. 

Video eats up bandwidth and until there are huge leaps in providing more bandwidth I don't think we have much to worry about. I like the predictions though I think they are more wishful thinking.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually, all cell phone screens will be replaced by 32 inch hologram projectors within the next ten years. smile

1. livewithrichard profile image73
        livewithrichardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LoL then I'm all for the new mobiles once they figure out that little thing called bandwidth.

15. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Well, I guess I just don’t get it. I read the link and saw nothing to get worried about.

All ad production costs are still born by the advertisers.

All we do here is just provide content and let the advertisers fight over who gets to advertise alongside it. I don’t understand why whatever medium they use is a concern. As long as they click it, who cares? Especially if it opens in a new window.

What the heck am I missing here? smile

I am sincere about this. What am I apparently, blatantly overlooking? I know it must be obvious. I guess I’ve just got some sort of mental block thing going.

Embarrassedly yours

1. profile image0

I got the same impression as you.

Advertisers will use video instead of text.

Solution: Hubpages/YieldBuild changes it ad placement strategies, and allows video ads on the site.

I don't think that you missed much, just an overly-worried blogger writing an article out of fear for change smile

16. Dale Nelson profile image39
    Dale Nelsonposted 13 years ago

In my opinion this is marketing at its best. Google is using affiliate marketers to buzz about advertising on video which they will then incoporate into their Android campaign and pitch video to the advertising giants. We are just creating the shift mind set for them.

We have been using youtube (to name one) for years to market affiliate products.Comments cna be left so it is laready interactive.

Personally I find it doubtful that mobile could handle the file size of video advertising and cover as much variety as a search engine.

Just my opinion.So No it doesnt worry me.

1. livewithrichard profile image73
      livewithrichardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's exactly right.  Google is a giant and when they speak or someone from within with an official title speaks, the world listens.

Interactive social media is the way of the future and advertisers that can get on board now will have a distinct advantage over their competitors. 

I'm more concerned with how this will affect some of us affiliate marketers that use PPC campaigns. I guess I'll have to start using my mobile a bit to surf the internet and see how advertising is being displayed.

17. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

I am not sure video ads will take over.  I immediately leave an site with auto-playing video or audio.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)