Hub Improvements

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (18 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Iznogoudposted 13 years ago

Its been suggested I drop in here and get some good advice from fellow authors. How does one improve: presentation, score, traffic, etcetera, etcetera.

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The best way to go about using this forum is to post a link to one or two hubs, and request feedback on them smile

This is the only forum where you can post links to your own work.

P.S. You can edit a post by clicking 'more' and 'edit.'

2. profile image0

Once I'm done publishing the first batch I'll pick one out and then use whatever I learn from the criticism and then apply it to all the others. BBL! smile

Ok. You're making me very glad I left my link! lol good job smile

3. profile image0

Hopefully many more will be directed on the right path of your most excellent hub! smile

4. profile image0

I think this would be a good one to start with: http://hubpages.com/hub/home-aquarium

At the moment none of the hubpage articles have images so that is something I will look at rectifying with all due haste.

1. profile image0
      BenjaminBposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes images can be found easily on Google Image Search and would liven up this hub for you. People like visual stimulus in my opinion.

The first thing I noticed is that you do not include your list until the end of the hub. The problem I see with this being that a low # of people are going to read all the way to the bottom,but if the list is up higher (perhaps right after the opening text box) then with your opening text instead of jumping right into descriptive reasoning you would be using that section as a build up to introduce your list.

Now you have the majority of the readers if interested in the topic wanting to at the very least read the list which is in their vision when they finish reading the opening text.

Here's why this would work better. As they are now more likely to see and read your list they may see a tip on their they were not aware of and thus are now going to continue reading.

See what I'm getting at,and the longer they are reading the better chance they will be interested in clicking an ad or a product from amazon.

1. profile image0
        Iznogoudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lots of good suggestions and advice but I'm unsure of the process of taking images from google image search. WryLitt says to find images for commercial reuse and to attribute correctly.

1. profile image0
          BenjaminBposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well I don't want to complicate issues for you but Google Image is just a search option choice on the Google search page. You type in any term you want and then just click the image tab in the upper left of the page.

As for attributing pictures,I know nothing about this and have never seen anyone on their hubs do what would be called attributing,except a few times. I have used a ton of pictures from there and on some hubs would have to spend a hub's worth of listing attributions to all of the pictures on that hub.

If they were in violation of any terms of use then I guess they would have been pulled by now because I have heard of this being done to some people's hubs.(their pic's being deemed as copy write infringement)

If you do choose to attribute every picture you use from google images simply click on the image and it will take you to the site the image came from and have the information you need to list.

To save one of these pic's for using simply right click on the image and choose save image and it will save it to your download file automatically(or you can create ad save in any folder you like) then you simply use the upload tab on the picture option on your hub locate your choice and upload it. Easy peezy lemon squeezy!

Sure, you can do it this way, but technically, it's not legal.

How would you feel if someone came along, took your picture and used it without even saying where they got it or that you took it? Or, on a more personal note, how would you feel if someone did that to one of your articles.

The new photo options that were introduced by HP last week make it a lot easier to attribute photos.

But remember- there are different types of photo copyrights and you should always use the 'For Commercial Reuse' option in the advanced image search if you want to cover your own backside.

5. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

It's a very well written article.

So the text part is great. You said you'll be adding pictures - just make sure you use those that are for commercial reuse and attribute correctly.

Have you applied to Amazon and Adsense? Those are the two best affiliates to start with.

I can see some prime spots for Amazon adverts - you could provide Amazon links for items such as a scraper, decorations and a dip tube siphon.

Have you got just two text capsules in that hub? I'd recommend breaking it into a few more capsules, mainly for the sake of the adverts but also so you have more places to put your photos etc.

I generally go with a large paragraph or two small ones per text capsule - as long as the first paragraph is big enough to bring up your first adsense advert.

You may be able to swing the Do's and Don'ts list to the right, and then make it grey or blue. That way it will be eye catching.

1. profile image0

I like that 'swinging the list to the right bit'. I'll try breaking into more capsules after I sort out the images bit. Adsense is already taken care of.

6. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

What WryLilt said. Plus you need a better title for the hub. But job well done!

1. profile image0

I'll need to figure out catchy titles. Their all lowercase at the moment anyways. I wasn't sure to go with capitalizing the titles or all uppercase.

Do you know much about keyword research? You need to try and choose good keyword titles that people are searching.

2. WryLilt profile image87

Hey, if you're online, pop by the chatroom linked on my profile if you'd like, might be a bit quicker that way and you can ask any questions you have etc

7. megmccormick profile image68
    megmccormickposted 13 years ago

You can get photo images on Picasa.com  You can search for the images you need using keywords. Then when you find the images you like, the photographers have it posted what kind of license the photo is. So you will know if you can use the photo on your Hub, whether or not you need to cite the source etc. 

If' you need help with this Picasa has a lot of good tutorials.  I should write a Hub about this!

Meg

8. profile image0

I'm aware that attribution doesn't exempt copyright infringement, permission is still needed. I am checking out some royalty free stock photography sites and hope to have at least 30 images as well as links for the photographer.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)