jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

Amazon earnings

1. BRIAN SLATER profile image85
    BRIAN SLATERposted 6 years ago

I am wondering which bank people in the UK pay their Amazon cheque into. Don't ordinary high street banks take a slice before converting it back into ££££.

1. Super Chef profile image60
      Super Chefposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I use santander but only get charged around five pound for this service. But you can change your payment in your account settings on Amazon to pay me by cheque. this way it doesn't cost you a penny.

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Actually it DOES cost money to cash a cheque in dollars at a UK bank. Between £9 - £12 in fact.

Which is why I have set my Amazon payment threshold to $1000.

2. Susana S profile image90
      Susana Sposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I pay my US dollars cheque into santander and it costs a flat fee of £10 per international cheque regardless of the amount of the cheque (so it's good to have a relatively high payment threshold). The first one I paid in took about 4/5 weeks to clear, the following ones 6 days.

Don't know what other banks are like regarding fees for international cheques?

BRIAN SLATERposted 6 years ago in reply to this

thanks Susana- was thinking about Citibank not sure if you have heard of them or not. An American bank.

1. Susana S profile image90
          Susana Sposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, Mark Knowles mentioned using citibank and having a dollar account. I've no idea how it works though in terms of withdrawals in pounds and what kind of fees there might be. It's something I keep meaning to check out and haven't got around to yet smile

BRIAN SLATERposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Susanas -if I find anything out I will let you know.

2. profile image0
          ryankettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I believe that Mark has set up a $ account with Citibank, so there is no charge to cash a $ cheque.

But I have no idea what he does from there, into changing it into his native currency (I believe he lives in France, which uses the Euro).

2. deuxlai profile image59
    deuxlaiposted 6 years ago

Same here.Set my Amazon threshold to 1k.

3. frogdropping profile image84
    frogdroppingposted 6 years ago

I just put mine in one of my HSBC accounts. Like Susana, my first one took about five days, now they clear a day later. I'm presuming that Amazon's financial status/set-up is trusted. It costs £9 to switch currencies.

1. Spacey Gracey profile image62
      Spacey Graceyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That's good to know - I paid mine into my Barclays account and they couldn't tell me how much I would get charged?!

On the look out for a better account now.

working