How do I promote my hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (22 posts)
  1. WorldCup~2010 profile image61
    WorldCup~2010posted 13 years ago

So I just completed my newest hub (even though its my 9th one, I still feel proud about it smile and now I was wondering how to promote the hub. My hubs seem to be dying, with some only getting several views daily, and I only have two strong hubs that bring in traffic. I really want to learn how to promote hubs and I am very eager to start pumping some more hubs out over Thanksgiving Break!

1. LindaJM profile image79
      LindaJMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've been doing research on social bookmarking and article writing sites where I can link back to my hubs. I also do a lot of blogging, and mention my hubs whenever possible, with a link.

You will have to do your own research for places to promote your hubs from. When you do, look for do-follow links.

In the learning center here there's a video from the first HubCamp in which they suggest just a few links to begin: Delicious and Digg.

It seems like a lot of people won't do any backlinking. . . but I recently got a page from #139 in Google search results to #2 with a combination of backlinking and on-page changes. It took about a month, but a lot of effort went into writing on-topic articles on other sites to back it up.

WorldCup~2010posted 13 years agoin reply to this

What exactly is backlinking? Is it just related to forming groups like having hubs in the same topic, linking all together?

1. Pcunix profile image91
          Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No.

They are talking about links at other sites that point to yours.

The best links are organic - those created by other people because they admired your page.

Links YOU create are what most of this yak-yak is about. Most are of little value, though there are people who do it professionally to scam Google into thinking the links are organic and thus of value.

2. Pcunix profile image91

What you don't know is that it might have ended up there anyway.

I have dozens of pages that take top three spots on page one for relevant search terms - I never backlinked a single one of them.

Most social sites have very little value to Google anyway.

If you don't go to extremes, there is no harm in it, but it isn't necessarily going to help you much without the content to back it up and high quality content WILL rise by itself.

2. Tony Hall profile image56
      Tony Hallposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I get great website traffic and backlinks from using this site. Check It Out,   http://www.socialswapper.biz

This Website Has Helped My Website Traffic And Sales By 80% In Only 2 Weeks!!!

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years ago

Hmm...this topic seems closest to my question--

I write here at HP because it allows me to indulge my creatve side and write what I want to write, unlike my pieces at Demand Studios, which is essentially, "McWriting" as another DS'er put it.

I did not begin with the thought or hope of making money--only to write, and get my writing "out there" in the hopes of being discovered.  (Yeah, right!  I've as good a chance of being struck by lightning, I'm sure.)

At any rate, now that I have decided to set up AdSense, (been up & running for about 3 months now), and do want to encourage traffic, I wonder, what is the best strategy?

Write a sh**load of hubs, promote each when it is new, and move on to the next, or write a few quality hubs from time to time and keep re-promoting older ones as the traffic drops off?

I have a lot of other irons in the fire, so I don't really have time to write more or less duplicate content on my blogs to point back here....I mainly promote on Face Book and Twitter..  (yes, I know, I've read that Google doesn't care for them...but they do drive SOME traffic....)

I don't believe anyone else has ever backlinked any of my hubs...or if they have, they've not so informed me.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dzy, I do very little promotion and am happy with what I see happening.  All of my hubs are interlinked, mostly several times.  I will try to put 3 to 4 textual links in each hub, plus 2 rss feeds (one latest hubs, one subject based using tags).  I back link each one on Xomba, though I don't really know why as they are no follow.

I have also posted a set of rss feeds around the net as advised by sunforged, but now that they are done I forget about them.

If a hub doesn't perform (and I have my share) I will check back once or twice and tweak it.  At that point it's on its own.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
        DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ok, thank you... I don't understand RSS feeds.  Every time I click one of those things, is seems to ask me if I want to follow the hub/blog/whatever. 

So, no, of course I don't want to follow myself.  LOL  ..but I don't understand how to use them to promote.

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In my usage, they are merely a method to provide an automatically updated list of 4 or 5 links to my latest hubs.  A very simple promotion, but one that I can set to either my latest hubs, hot hubs or best hubs.  I don't know that the "latest" setting does anything at all but maybe provide the google spiders a link to follow to my newest hubs.  At the same time some of my latest hubs have over 800 links going to them, all from HP.  Maybe 100 of them are ones I provide, mostly through the RSS feeds.

The feeds I make by using tags are topic specific, however, and my hope is that I can convince a reader to check out something else similar or pertinent to what they've already read.  In that sense I am promoting my other hubs to that particular reader as well as providing more links for google.

You can make your feeds by using the rss capsule and editing it.  Simply provide the rss feed URL you want to use, such as:
          http://hubpa  ges.com/author/dzym  slizzy/latest/?rss
          without the spaces in it. (Don't want to post a link here!).  You can replace the word "latest" with "hot" or "best".

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

I post my hub on Facebook and Twitter, that is it. I use hash tags in Twitter on the topic of the hub.

Ohhh...duh!  use hastags!  ARRRggg.h...!!  Now why didn't I think of that?!!  **slaps self upside head..**

1. Pcunix profile image91

Don't feel bad. I forget more times than I remember.

4. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I think this answer by staff member Jason sums it up nicely:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/59926#post1333824

(You might want to read the post above it by Pcunix, too)

Thank you, WryLit!  ;-)

5. CYBERSUPE profile image62
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

Thank You so much WryLilt and Pcunix for your information. You guys are just great.

6. Urbane Chaos profile image92
    Urbane Chaosposted 13 years ago

Congrats on your 9th!  I'll try to offer a bit of insight here, but you ask a loaded question.  There's so many answers to this that one could write a thousand hubs just about this subject.

So, onward ho!

First, before you even think about promoting your hubs, take another look at them.  Ask yourself these questions: 1.) Is it readable?  2.) Does it keep the reader interested? and 3.) is it marketable? 

I think of hubs as magazine articles.  The writing is really about the same: you begin with a hook, you keep the reader interested by moving them forward, and you end on a high note. 

That's where the difference ends.  After that, and before you promote your article, you must revise the article to be search engine friendly (research S.E.O.). 

Download a keyword checker tool, like seoquake for Firefox, and make a list of your top keywords.  Check with Google ad words to make sure that that list is going to get you noticed - and make you revenue.  (Again, research S.E.O.)  --keywords play a huge part in marketing your article, so try to understand them the best you can. Once you're satisfied there, then it's time to market the article.

Backlinks do occasionally help (digg, reddit), but they are only a small part of things.  Writing an article that isn't over-done, but one that is still interesting will help a lot.  -Remember keywords?  If you write an article about and titled "finance" then you probably won't get any hits.  If you have an idea for an article, search Google first to see how many times similar articles appear.  That will give you a good idea of where you'll rank. 

Beyond that, remember to slap a copy on your facebook account, your twitter account, your myspace account, and your "I like to stare at goats all day" account..  You get the point. 

The biggest thing you can do is simply to watch for your article on Google, then keep tweaking it until it shows up on the first page.

I hope that gives ya a little bit o' help.  Like I said, it's a loaded question.

Good luck!

WorldCup~2010posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the tips Urbane Chaos and everybody else! I really do appreciate it. I do use the google keyword tool but that is all I use. The seoquake sounds like it could really help me out a lot because I desperately need those views!

7. Singular Investor profile image72
    Singular Investorposted 13 years ago

WC - read Misha's hubs on backlinking, he appears to be the guy that makes the most money with the fewest hubs, he also gives tips on how to get backlinks on his hubs so do a search on his name and check out what he says - getting backlinks from forums seems to be one popular way of doing it

8. Cordale profile image71
    Cordaleposted 13 years ago

Simple backlinking strategy.. Find 6-7 sites to post your link on. Not spam. But actually sites where others would want to read on what you post.

It's all I do! It wont have much "backlink" value but enough to sore above the hundreds of articles with no value at all.

9. FatFreddysCat profile image91
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

Ummm....NO!!

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8440687_f248.jpg

I love when spammers randomly bump two year old threads. big_smile

10. Muttface profile image81
    Muttfaceposted 10 years ago

Is spam like Chicken and Ham roll or Corned Beef?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)