Do Some Comment Neatively on One's Hubs for a Purpose?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (21 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years ago

I'm just curious. A few times now, out of the blue, some have written something negative about my writing style. 

Rather than say something publicly, I've wanted to approach them quietly, only to discover that every single one of these people have their 'contact' button disabled, and one can only them questions.

Am I missing something?

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Okay, what's the problem with having someone write negative things on your hub? I mean, is it a direct attack on you as a person, or are they picking on your writing(meaning, grammar and info properly conveyed)?
      If their comment has relevance to your article, then I would leave the comment and address the issue within the hub. Remember, more comments and relevance on your hub, then you'll have continued fresh content.

If this person happens to be correct in their assessed comment, then I would only take it as criticism, and be appreciative by their assistance.

If this person isn't correct or relevant, then it's a complete waste of time to keep or address.

Just a thought. smile

1. profile image0
        Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Neither comment was correct. They were quite the opposite. smile I'm not in the habit of taking offence when someone points out something helpful. I do take offence, however, when I'm told something that is not relevant andwhen it is inappropriate.

Perhaps, I'm wrong to take offence.

However, that's not what i'm getting at here.

What I'm trying to establish is whether some just comment as a means of drawing attention to themselves as an expert so that one would consult them. In other words, they're looking for business! smile

If not, then I guess I'm wrong.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

Perhaps you are missing that they are simply expressing their opinion.

1. profile image0

The comments somehow seemed inappropriate.

3. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

Do you have an example Sophia?

1. profile image0

No. I deleted both. I thought about it for a week and looked at their websites, saw that their had the tab to contact them. Both were in that space where they didn't interact that much on HP, and both gave me the impression they were here looking for business more than anything else. But that's my take. I could be wrong.

4. Joy56 profile image66
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

does seem a trifle strange, yeah give us an example

5. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Can't be me yikes
    I'm always polite and positive and nice smile
    Unless you're a Troll sad

1. Joy56 profile image66
      Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

maybe you are a troll is that it?????? Trolls have purple hair right? the one i had when i was little did?

6. psycheskinner profile image83

It is a little hard to say without examples.

7. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years ago

Okay, here's what happened.

First guy commented on a short story. That particular short story was placed in a competition many years ago. The comment was unnecessary - to start in the middle of the action. That's a bit of folk lore given to those who can't write by teachers who have never been published. It serves a purpose in that many are just starting out. It's like one's grammar teacher teaching one that one cannot have a one word sentence, yet every writer knows that the one word sentence at the right moment can be fantastic. In the same sense, one doesn't always have to start in the middle of the action...

I got the impression that someone just wanted to say something to show his 'expertise,' but I wasn't sure and that's why I would have preferred to be in touch quietly and last. As that wasn't possible, I just decided to delete the comment.

The second was someone telling me that the most important part for my article on hub pages was to have a good headline. As I thought the headline was good (compatible with URL and first paragraph), I asked for more information. I was given an example that would never have worked on the net. I pointed that out, and explained why. The response I received was that I didn't ask for an example of a good headline on the net...

I deleted that as well.

8. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

I think the lesson probably is that comments may need moderating.  I don't have a problem with comments that have a difference with my viewpoint, on my more serious hubs - there's always room for debate and that makes it interesting.

I'm not sure I would take kindly to someone pointing out basic flaws in my presentation or whatever.

But it doesn't sound like you have a particularly aggresive troll, if anyone, following you around Sophia.

1. profile image0

No, Mark, not at all. I just found it strange that both had removed their 'contact' button. sad

Also, as I explained to Cagsil above, I wanted to know if some used HP as a means of promoting their work as an advisor or teacher of some sort.... smile

What can I say? I think about odd things!!!! smile

9. psycheskinner profile image83

I don't think suggesting you should start a story in media res is "incorrect".  It is a legitimate opinion and I hear it from commercially published writers from time to time.  You don;t have to think it is correct to respect it as the commenter's opinion, given in an attempt to be helpful.

If in doubt, I would suggest assuming good intent.  if you can't use the advice, just thank them for their input and move on.  IMHO, of course.

10. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

Like others here I have absolutely no problem with real debate or constructive criticism, or with people who (correctly) point out factual mistakes that I've made.  It shows that they've actually read what I wrote, which is always nice!

I have however had one or two snarky comments, along the lines of "this hub sucks".  I deleted them without a qualm.  Pointless negativity of this kind only encourages other a******s to make similarly negative, pointless comments.  That's why I strongly recommend moderating all your comments - it prevents the rude ones from even becoming public!

1. profile image0

Yes, I've just had one who wrote a ream explaining why my one hub wasn't a hub alongside other insulting remarks. He went on to explain how the quality of my writing was bringing down the standard of HP. I deleted it.

Then smile.

Poor man.

He didn't even check to see that the category was 'Photos and Videos'.

No writing required... smile

Anyway, thanks. In future, I'll just delete.

11. evvy_09 profile image61
    evvy_09posted 13 years ago

I don't get many comments but all but one have been positive.  The one unpositive comment I received didn't even seem like it was about my hub at all.  It appeared on my Female Video Games Characters hub and the comment was how she likes to wear sexy clothes so her husband can... well I'm sure you get the idea smile
    I deleted it but it was just weird.
    My point because I do have one big_smile was sometimes people just leave random useless comments.

12. Hotplate profile image60
    Hotplateposted 13 years ago

Sometimes people just write random and useless crap they call hubs.

1. profile image0

And sometimes, they don't check to see whether something was actually posted under the category, 'photo and video' only. smile

13. psycheskinner profile image83

Perhaps people disable their contact button because when they comment on a certain 'forum' that is where they want to have the conversation rather than receiving an email 'correcting' them. I may do the same.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)