Why and How Would My Forum Posts Be Deleted?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Pandoras Box profile image59
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

I know there's been alot of changes here lately, but I can usually justify them in terms of being good for HubPages. This one I'm not so sure about.

There was a thread in which the OP made outrageous and unsupported and in fact outright false claims. Several people pointed out that she was mistaken. In this thread she also said she had written and published a hub about it.

I just went looking for the thread, because I was curious to see if she had taken down her hub after being so clearly shown that she was wrong. I couldn't find it under my forum posts, but soon found it under the politics subforum.

All of my posts were deleted from the thread, which was closed by the OP's request it notes. I understand the thread being closed, but why and who would have/could have deleted my posts from it?

Now I don't really care, but I find it a very unfortunate policy that would allow my posts to be deleted for no good reason.

I tell you, I know most people think I'm a mean witch, but I have never been banned for the simple reason that I never cross those lines, and I didn't this time either.

So is it a new HP policy that if you cannot ban someone you can just delete their comments? Was this a moderator thing done at the OP's request?

I don't understand. But it's shocking to me, because I know I did nor said anything wrong, or any different than several others in the thread.

What is happening to HubPages?!!! Have the lunatics really taken over?!!!

1. Misha profile image65
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Did you just notice it? Moderating team is quite random for quite some time already. smile

Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeh I haven't been around much. And even then not in the controversial topics.

2. Aficionada profile image81
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

That sounds truly bizarre and, until I hear anything to convince me otherwise, I think it's disturbing.  Definitely something I have never noticed.  I am guessing you were signed in when you checked the thread?

Yeh I was signed in. It is disturbing. In fact I've spent the last half-hour since noticing it going through my HP facebook friends friends lists trying to add HP'ers as a step towards leaving the HP forums entirely as I see others have done/are doing.

Very upset by this one. I don't even really care, especially, but it's the principle of it that is really making me upset. Added on top of everything I've been hearing, and seeing.

Don't get me wrong, I love HP and the opportunities it's brought me, and continues to, but something seems to have gone wrong in the forums.

3. rebekahELLE profile image87
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I saw a closed thread earlier this evening by request of OP, but I can't see how they would remove your posts unless you had included the OP's posts and she wanted all her posts removed..? IDK..

Rebekah it's really weird. I thought you had the answer and went to check, and yes I think you know which thread it was.

But no that doesn't seem to be it. I thought it was at first. All but one of her posts were deleted. I understand, she's embarassed, whatever. I had posted I think 3 posts there, and after reading your suggestion I thought that might be it.

But the strange thing is, it didn't work out. My first post is gone which may have been in reply to her post which is gone as well, as are my second post and hers it replied to. But on page 2, her post which I replied to is still there, but my reply is gone. However, my reply still shows in the post below it where someone else had replied to my post.

So, lol. If that made any sense at all.

I'm annoyed, mad, angered. I try to help people in the help forums, and I try really hard not to blast people in the pol and rel forums. Really hard. I know my sarcasm is annoying, but gosh you guys should see all the stuff I don't post.

It seems these days that stupid people complain to moderators and moderators just automatically react to their cries. I know there's a huge fundie christian population here, and I try to ignore it when their stupidity shows up on the sidebar in hubs, and all. Eh I've just ranted myself out. Thanks for letting me.

It doesn't help that I haven't smoked now in 15 days, lol.

It's really okay, but I tell you what I feel violated and betrayed or something. Not sure what. But I am upset by this. How does something like "I'm sure the president feels the same way" merit being deleted?

4. Aficionada profile image81
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

I found the thread too, earlier, and I also thought it was weird that one of the OP's was still there and that one of yours was quoted in someone else's post.  Even so, I'm guessing that rebekahELLE is correct and that the moderator simply overlooked those two that were left.  Probably was irritated to be asked to delete them in the first place, if that's what really happened. 

Have you thought about contacting HP staff to ask directly?  Usually they will tell us if there are new policies - or if they are enforcing an older one that has never or rarely been used.

Here's good wishes to your non-smoking days!  Hope it works out well for you.

5. Pandoras Box profile image59
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

Thanks Aficionado-

I think you're probably right. And after sleeping on it, I guess it's no big deal that my stuff got deleted because someone else made a fool of themselves. Ironic that she decided to close the thread and delete her false accusations from the forums, but -as of last night anyway- kept her equally false hub in place.

Whatever. I guess it's the same deal, really. Just as a hub author can delete hub comments he/she may not like, so too can a forum thread OP.

On a happier note, I have just added Edweirdo's firefox forum filter add-on, and am testing it out. So hopefully going forward I won't be so easily drawn into what I know are going to be unreasonable forum threads.

I'm interested in the rel and pol topics, too much so, and it was all fine back when I was killing time between job interviews. Ever since I realized I could make money online, however, I have just hated the distractions and petty bs.

This is like a nanny for me! Helps me to be strong by removing me from temptation!

Thanks guys for letting me rant. As someone else said on one of the other threads, all the stupidity and pettiness just gets my blood-pressure up. Used to be I'd learn stuff from the wiser folk here, but most of them seem long gone. I'd rather leave the foolishness to the fools.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"I'd rather leave the foolishness to the fools."

Ready to step in as required.

OK.

Seriously, sorry you are / were upset.  That's the trouble with forums.

2. profile image0
      Wendi Mposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My request was for the entire forum to be deleted, not just my, and your, posts.  I have no clue as to why they did it the manner that they did.

And, once again, I will change (not remove) my hub when I have all of the information I need...not because it is your opinion that I should!

I am not embarrassed, I just don't deal well with nastiness...much like your distaste for foolishness.

You think nastiness is pointing out that you need to research your topics before spreading such vile misinformation?

Huh. I think nastiness is more like making false accusations and spreading misinformation.

See ya!

Oh, yeah, that's right. I won't!

lol

Thanks Edweirdo!

1. profile image0
          Wendi Mposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nice chatting with ya!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)