jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (17 posts)

Titles - How long is to long?

1. andyoz profile image87
    andyozposted 6 years ago

So I have just been looking at the title tuner, great tool I must say.  However, as I try and add a few extra words in I start to wonder how long a title should be.  Does it matter?  Can a title be to long?

1. rebekahELLE profile image87
      rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

If you take a look at the Hubs category on the dashboard, you can get some ideas of effective titles of different lengths.
      http://hubpages.com/hubs/best/  some titles need to be longer. I don't know of any specific number of characters.

andyozposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thats interesting, the top rated hub has 85 characters in the title!  That goes agianst what Cagsil has been saying.

1. Cagsil profile image60
          Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Punch in the title on a search engine and see IF you can read the entire title?

Nope, it cuts off after 65 characters, haha.  I wonder if it matters though, it would not put me off reading the page. 

Seems strange the top rated hub would be rated so highly if it didn't so well.

Some people are picky and some are not so picky. wink

1. wilderness profile image96
                wildernessposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Given that you can't see it, do the search engines see it?  Do keywords at the 100 character point count, or does google ignore them?

Maybe we should make titles exactly 65 characters long...PLUS a couple of spaces and another 10 less relevant keywords!

I didn't say that I didn't see the title. I could not read the entire title. I saw the beginning title of the hub I used, but it was incomplete.
                  You have a 100 character keyword? And, I have no clue what Google does with a 100 character keyword. I pretty sure it wouldn't be good? hmm
                  I'm not sure what you are saying here. I was just pointing out that if you wanted a title, then it should not go over 65 characters, because if it does, then the title cannot be read in it's entirety, because it runs off into ...........

That's all I was pointing out. wink

2. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

I would go with anything that is longer than 65 characters, including spaces, would be too long. wink

Can I ask where you get that figure from?  Is there a reason for it?

Well, if you really want to get technical-

Then I shall do so- I was in Multi-Level Marketing for about 10+ years and by all accounts a title should not be any longer than 45 characters(this is for marketing/advertising).

Google I think recognizes up to 65 characters, as titles on search engine.

Ah that makes sense then, so anything past the 65 mark won't be noticed when people are searching.  Thanks

Anything past 65 characters will run off into .........

If your title is too long, then your searcher cannot read your entire title and is less likely to bother. wink

2. profile image0
          ssaulposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think HP only allows up to certain amount of character in the title

3. WoodsmensPost profile image56
    WoodsmensPostposted 6 years ago

I have written 2 hubs on this subject and don't claim to be an expert but here is a link to get help get you started.

Google SERP Snippet Optimization Tool
    http://www.seomofo.com/snippet-optimizer.html

Note: I have no affiliation with the link provided

Excellent post, very helpful.

So it seems 70 characters is the number, you were close Cagsil!  smile

1. WoodsmensPost profile image56
        WoodsmensPostposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Your welcome smile I use the tool and it has helped me tremendously. Although not all my hubs got the boost its never to late to revise. Happy hubbing smile

working