Katrina

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (19 posts)
  1. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

The shame of Katrina is an indelible stain on the US of A

I can unreservedly recommend reading Junko's hub

http://hubpages.com/hub/A-Backward-Unde … at-Katrina

This is one of the most visible signs of the state of the US today.  Forget the commercial wars, the religion and the politicking - this is what matters - what should you do about it NOW ?

1. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's painful to read, both from an emotional standpoint and because it is not well written or formatted - perhaps the emotional pain is too much and I can certainly understand that.

There's nothing to say.  It's a mess. A wealthy country like this should do better by its citizens. Greed and stupidity are evident.  What is there to say?  I voted for the right people - what else can I do?

1. profile image0
        china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nothing much to do except support the wrtier I guess - from the writing angle I assume it reflects education as the content is well considered.  I have linked to his hub - as you say what can we do.

2. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

I'll not write a single piece for next 24 hours if Brenda fails to blame lefty/democrats/seculars for this in this thread. lol

Okay enough kidding, back to OP.

1. profile image0

I would think that EVEN Brenda would have a reasonable and humane comment for this one ?

What do you think about it Skyfire ?

3. profile image0

The response to this thread is about the same as the national response to the devastation of New Orleans where the world watched the US do NOTHING except keep them black folks out of them there white neighbourhoods - what did they think they was at draggin their wet feet through rich places goddamit !

1. Castlepaloma profile image77
      Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have been to New Orlean a few times, many Christians think of it as sin city and they should parish from the earth and GW Bush dose not care.

The people there will work it out and become stronger than before as they are a creative bunch, down there. Regardless of very little help from the Gov, and they will plan and build a better dam this time.

No sense of regretting the pass, it’s just better  not rto egret the future

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I lived there for a year during a college interim year. It is what everyone says who love the city, it has its own soul. It's shameful what happened. what can we do, vote, volunteer, visit the city, donations.. find causes that directly help the rebuilding. change is happening in the city and there are many who are helping to make it better, but it will never be the same. the city has endured so much suffering.

1. Castlepaloma profile image77

The tragedy of the commons is a dilemma arising from the situation in which multiple individuals, acting independently and rationally consulting their own

When ever tragedy strikes me in life, I suffer for a wail, then rebuild myself to a higher level of consciousness and become a better me, if you take it with grace

That is NOT what "tragedy of the commons" means smile

1. profile image0

I didn't like to be rude and ask - but I was wondering . . . so what does it mean ?

1. profile image0
            EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's the fact that resources that are held in common (e.g. the air we breathe) tend to be more prone to abuse/depletion than resources held by individuals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

1. profile image0

Thank you your highness.  Don't bump into so many Empresses these days big_smile

2. Pcunix profile image89

Exactly.  There's also a book by that title that concerns itself with Open Source.

2. Castlepaloma profile image77

Pcunix

I mean it in Modern terms tragedy of the commons  in relation to environmental issues such as sustainability. The commons dilemma stands as a model for a great variety of resource problems in society today, non-renewable energy sources

Not really.

I think you have misunderstood the meaning.  In my opinion, it is quite a stretch to drag it that far.

1. profile image0

The elasticity of poetic licence ah ?

It is funny how the almost total absence of fuss about the drowning of New Orleans has been replicated in the absence of fuss about the failures in the reconstruction of the buildings and lives of the people.

You would almost imagine - in some White House session, a backroom public response advisor with his stats saying, "well actually if we just let them drown nobody will make much fuss" and good 'ol George turning his eyes back to the world oil map on his wall.

5. profile image0

Funny how hard it is to discuss a real issue with real people actually getting the sh@@ty end of the stick isn't it?

We all talk bs around theory and religion (although they are the same thing) and global warming and POTTY or whatever he is, but a real tragedy with all the elements of all the discussion and nothing to say really.  And this is no criticism of anyone, it just is - weird isn't it.

I don't know. The hub says it all and the greed, racism, class discrimination issues are all discussed elsewhere.

As I said, I vote for the right people.  I speak up about this kind of issue constantly. Not much else one person can do unless they have great wealth or power.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)