jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

What is causing this weird, random referral traffic?

1. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 6 years ago

I've been playing around in Google Analytics today and I have a question about where my traffic is coming from.

I am getting a lot of traffic from small sites and blogs and it's listed as "referral traffic." I've gone to many of the sites and nowhere is there a link to any of my hubs.

Furthermore, I'm even getting traffic from the learning center here on HubPages, but again, I have absolutely no links over there.

Another weird one is traffic from something called hubpromo, which is not set as traffic from anything. It's listed as "other" in analytics.

1. paradigmsearch profile image87
      paradigmsearchposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Same here. I finally concluded that the link had come and gone.

melbelposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I just don't see that as viable, though. I mean, I get so many of them. I'd say an ad, but I don't have any ads. Does HubPages?

2. lrohner profile image82
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

The source of the traffic just tells you WHERE the traffic came from. It's quite possible that they did not land directly on your hub. You would need to look further to see what their entrance path was.

There are lots of ways to find out, but let's do this... Choose Content > Top Content from your dashboard. Click on one of your hubs. In the middle of the page to the right, select Entrance Path. This will show you where the reader came from on the site before they found you.

So let's say there was an ad from HubPages on XYZ.com or someone had a link there to one of their own hubs. Then let's say they get to HP and meander a bit, eventually getting to your hub. The "Traffic Source" would be XYZ.com, but the "Entrance Path" would be whatever page they were on before they found your hub.

Make sense?

melbelposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Amazing response, thank you!

3. paradigmsearch profile image87
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

Absolutely Excellent! smile

working