The "making money from hubpages" tactics

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (16 posts)
  1. weholdthesetruths profile image60
    weholdthesetruthsposted 13 years ago

I have noticed a great deal of effort put into finding the specific keywords to write hubs about, and pushing them into Google, among other places, to drive traffic to your hubs, and thence get ad views and clicks, etc. 

Do any of you who read this forum write for the sheer love of writing, and hope that the quality of your writing is such that those who have the same interests will return, seeking more of what you produce?   Have any of you who have done that ended up with a significant monetary profit from doing so? 

Perhaps the reason for me bringing this up, is that I do a lot of research using Google, and one of the most infuriating things I find, is to find that someone has "optimized" to get traffic for those keywords, but their page or site contains nothing original, authoritative, or is of no quality.   

In other words, I mentally blacklist in reading the Google summaries, everything you're trying to do, in chasing the elusive clicks by technical redirection, rather than by filling the need of the person who may be directed your way.   

Am I alone in this, or ???

1. emenika buki profile image60
      emenika bukiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i feel so strong when i saw your comment about making money on hubs,but you did not explain what you think, by making money ,for me i see the best of your attempt ,that's good. can't you see hubs has been expanded world wide because good developers in hubs ,here you can advertise your goods and make your earning cash as easy,,,,men the question is that how it work? waooh wanderful, i can see again hubs is the best place associate with difference categories of human beings, if want to make your online cash is here..thanks but am coming again with best guideline you can understand by making money online!

2. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is called "Capitalism." Not a big fan, I take it? lol

weholdthesetruthsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, capitalism is the act of finding a need or want, and filling it, in a way that benefits you and the one who needs, as well.   

I see hubbers who write stuff that could definitely fill that bill, doing research and organizing information such that it authoritatively answers a question or teaches someone to do something.   But after using hubpages myself, I would come to regard them as merely 'second tier' sources.  That is, if I'm searching for authoritative information on something, there's no way I'm following hubpages based links.  I'm going to mentally filter them out and find sites and pages that are expertly based. 

If, on the other hand, I was looking for opinion, or entertainment, then I'd probably be a little more likely than average to follow a hubpages link.  But that's me. 

And thus, I asked the questions, to see what people are thinking...

2. CASE1WORKER profile image61
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

Most of my writing hits Key words by sheer chance!
    I write a few sales orientated hubs for which I do hit keywords, but to be honest I find the use too restrictive, especially once I get into flow. As time passes I hope that the hubs will attract their own traffic

3. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

I've written plenty in the past, and one or two recently, that was/is nothing to do with earning money. That's where I've always gained the most meaningful feedback.

Of late I write predominantly to earn a living, both on HP and elsewhere. If I had the luxury of possessing enough money not to do so, I wouldn't. I'd write short stories and articles relating to history to my hearts content.

Whether or not you're alone in your thinking I don't know for sure, though I suspect that you're not.

Perhaps I should expand on my thinking a bit, to say that I think the practice of writing and search engine manipulation, just to divert traffic to you, is going to result in harming your efforts.   

Eventually, after someone develops some means of filtering out this opportunism for advertising, Google will do it to, leading to making it much harder for valid material to get into Google's higher ranks, and decreasing your chance of getting real material people seek in front of their eyes.

1. shogan profile image77
        shoganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why would Google voluntarily limit the number of sites it can potentially make ad revenue off of?  Perhaps I'm not understanding your point...?

4. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Well I don't know what SE's are thinking. Probably both of the following: how to rapidly access and display the best quality content, and how to keep generating a healthy profit. As they're hand in hand I don't expect to see anything I write commercially falling off the radar.

Internet advertising is big business and commercial content (therefore) will always exist. And that whilst you're musing about SEO and manipulation that you're writing on a site that is already set up for such methods?

If you want fair game then buy a domain name, pay for hosting and let nature take its course. Eventually, when opportunism for business is removed then there will be no more folks like me, only folks that write for pleasure left. And no money of course, which will cause quite the crash for SE's. But there you go.

Ideal worlds create equality.

5. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 13 years ago

From your profile weholdthesetruths:

'I am now a political conservative, a TEA Party type, a strict Constitutionalist, and a firm believer in Capitalism.'

Surely, you of all people must realize that the business of America is business.

As long as the internet is primarily ad-supported, professional writers are obliged to write for the ad money. That means writing pages that will in some way contribute to something getting sold somewhere.

6. simeonvisser profile image68
    simeonvisserposted 13 years ago

Even if you write purely for fun, it makes sense to do keyword research. After all, people type words into Google and you want your content to be found. So it makes sense to choose words that people regularly type into a search engine.

Well, yeah, this is a given, and understood.   I was referring to the opposite, where people find the keywords first, and then hub about it.   Unless you've got a database of almost incomprehensible proportions, concerning your knowledge of things, it's going to result in those webpages that tick me off, having diverted me from real content and wasted my time.

7. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

I find almost everything I want within the first search. Often, those who are inundated with spam or overly optimized returns simply lack basic research skills.

These skills - as in knowing what to ask for in a precise manner are not something that are even specific to the current atmosphere of search engines, ever use a library database search?

If you ask general queries you often get general results. Learn Boolean operators, learn to recognize authority sites and search internally.

Dont be lazy

8. vnustham profile image61
    vnusthamposted 13 years ago

sound good when can make money from here. Now I did not find out the best keyword about it. I just wrote something as I want now.  and put some amazon stuff concern in my hub..
    May be next time I have to find out "money keyword" and write it.
    If anyone have any idea welcome to share. I'm newbie for this place. Hopefully get some money here.. Cheer!!

9. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

I manage to do both.  Most of my hubs are written for my own enjoyment and for making a few bucks in the process.  Sure, I would make more money if I concentrated on just writing sales articles, but that would be a drag for me.  smile  I have other, more lucrative, boring work I can do if I choose to spend my time in such a manner.

10. AMSpace profile image60
    AMSpaceposted 13 years ago

I do both, too. Although I'm a relatively new hubber, I've specifically written a few sales articles, but other times I write about a subject because it's a personal interest and I feel I can do a good job with it. It's a great feeling to begin writing a hub and feeling it flow, not having to force yourself or endlessly edit awkward wording!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)