How many tags are acceptable?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (42 posts)
  1. Brie Hoffman profile image59
    Brie Hoffmanposted 13 years ago

I'm getting that I have too many and I'm wondering how many are too many...I wish HP would make it so that you can't put too many on.

1. Garrett Mickley profile image77
      Garrett Mickleyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I usually add 10-20.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Brie,

Maddie specifically told me how they moderate hubs with regards to keywords/tags- use 9-15(20 max) for articles up to 1500 words.

If your article is over 1500 words, then you can use up to 40 keywords/tags.

But, if you have 30 tags for a 1000 word article, it could be flagged for excessive tagging.

Btw- the reason 9-15(20 max), without putting 9-20? Was because on average 9-15 is where it should be for articles up to 1500 word article, but moderators have seen 20 and not flag the hub. I guess review of the relevance of tags(those extra 5 tags) to the hub is taken into consideration.

I hope that helps.

3. Brie Hoffman profile image59

I was flagged for a hub that had 11 tags and it was maybe 500 words.  It's starting to piss me off.  HP should automatically limit the tags if its such a big deal.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Were all your tags pertinent to the article? You can also get flagged for deceptive tags.

Brie Hoffmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They were ones suggested by Hubpages.  I just added the ones they suggested...seems to me they should have a better system than suggesting tags and then dinging you for using them.

1. relache profile image72
          relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just because tags are suggested does not mean that they are appropriate or that you should use them. 

Any automated suggestions should be given genuine consideration and careful thought by the author.  If they aren't tightly relevant to the actual information being discussed and provided in the Hub content, do not use them.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago
  5. NateSean profile image67
    NateSeanposted 13 years ago

For the most part I would avoid the ones suggested by hub because, well, nine times out of ten they won't have anything to do with your actual hub.

Just streamline your tags down to what major points are in the hub. If your hub is about gardening, use "gardening" as your tag. If in that hub you mention tomatoes, cucumbers and Bruce Springsteen, use those as your tag.

Less is more.

1. sirrot profile image62
      sirrotposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This just makes good sense...this is where quality beats quantity!

b

6. Brie Hoffman profile image59

I am doing that now.  But, I have almost 200 hubs and it's difficult to go back and do all that at one time.  This was never mentioned to me before so it's kind of a pain.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You mean that you never decided to ask if it was pertinent to your hubs? Reading up on or searching forum threads answering your question, apparently didn't cross your mind either, before opening this thread.

Do you have to be told everything? Every step? Seriously...

As you've already said, you have close to 200 hubs...so why haven't you bothered to ask if keywords/tags - what relevance do they have and how many are you allowed?

I don't know if it can be located in the Learning Center, because personally, I've not gone through it, to see what it offers to members. However, I also do not think that HP Staff would put non-relevant information in the Learning Center...that would not be beneficial.

Your statement implies that it is the fault of HP, when it's actually not. They are your hubs and you should know about them.

I'm not trying to be mean or rude, so please do not be offended, but I do want you to stop and think. Enjoy.

No, I was busy writing!  You even said that you haven't read through the learning center!  AND, for 3 years nothing was every mentioned nor was it called to my attention!

Correct! I haven't read through the Learning Center, but I have used the search feature for the forum threads to answer my questions, before I post threads.

You've been here 2 years, written 180 hubs and it never dawned on you to ask? Again, you are trying to pass the buck to others, who have mentioned the validity of keywords/tags throughout much of the forums and even in written hubs.

And, I'm just pointing out that fact that the actual responsibility lays in your hands and not the hands of others.

Just a thought. wink

Good for you! smile

2. relache profile image72

Brie, I have to say I agree with Cagsil's take on things when I read the many threads you've started where you want people to spoon-feed you info that is readily available to anyone who is willing to take the time to just read it. 

If you only ever notice things when they are pointedly waved in your face, you're always going to be working at a strong disadvantage on this site.  If you don't mind being in that position, that's your choice but don't be surprised if people *facepalm* at you.  If you don't want to be in that position, then you may want to start reading the Learning Center and doing Hub searches for topics on which you need more info.

If I find it more efficient to ask a question and get an answer in seconds verses wading through myriads of "learning center" documents I guess that's my business.  If someone doesn't want to answer then that is their prerogative.  Obviously, you both seem to have all the time in the world, I don't.

1. lakeerieartists profile image62
              lakeerieartistsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Learning Center is an excellent resource, and becoming more so with time.  If you have a question, that is the best place to look first.  It is highly organized and won't take you any more time that it is to have this conversation in the forums. 

Cagsil's method is also a good idea as a secondary way, because with rules changing the Learning Center is the official word.

Not time consuming at all.

Yes it your business.
              Yes it is.
              Time? Your individual management of time is exclusively your problem, and it stems from the fact that you are not really interested in learning, and prefer to be handed what you want, when you request it.

That's like a child asking the parent for the answer to a question on a test, so they can pass it and not have to do the work needed or necessary to reach the answer.

If you lack time, then better manage your time. Do not try to pass along the responsibility to someone other than self.

Everything comes down to individual responsibility. There is no avoiding it. wink

2. sirrot profile image62
        sirrotposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cagsll:  As a teacher would say...be nice.  There are so many way to add a comment without sarcasm or demeaning remarks.  Please don't do that.  We are all trying to learn something here.  Comment are very like tags...they should be relevant, limited and enticing!

b

AMEN! sirrot AMEN!

And, obviously, individual responsibility, as my post implies is just my way of pointing out was is being missed.

Are you supporting that a person should be able to pass along the responsibility of one's own learning process?

I would hope not.

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Asking someone to not be offended ("please") is sort of ridiculous after being so aggressive in the first part of your comment, IMO.

Being offended is an emotional response. Hence, the reason I ask politely, because she is a woman after all. More emotion than thought, more reaction than comprehension.

Her previous actions from previous threads, supports my position and your post doesn't change that.

Those who can take criticism tend to do well, better than those who scoff at it when it's given.

However, nothing changes what I said- individual responsibility is the basis for my post.

7. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

I have no problem with them at all.. the more the better!

Why can't we live in a world where sexual orientation doesn't matter!?!?!

Oh wait a minute.. my eyesight isn't that great.... did you type 'TAGS"??

roll

The injection of humor is meaningless in this thread Greek, but nice try.

1. Greek One profile image64
        Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I never bother reading posts before mine... often to argumentative or nasty

8. Andrew0208 profile image58
    Andrew0208posted 13 years ago

I use to have them up to 25-30 tags but recently after carefully following some known and best authors on the Internet I've ever come across including HubPages, I understood it better now to always go with 10 -15 maximum, more of them could be well accepted as it is not also in the many tags you've got that bring in the more traffic. If I can research 10 - 15 quality keywords with less competition and target on them, the'll do far better than having many of them as tags. smile

9. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I wondered how this thread could have so many responses, now I see.

wow. It's a thread asking a question. What a sexist statement.

A sexist statement? And your response didn't come from emotion? lol

It wasn't meant as an offense, but is from real actions women tend to do. I'm sorry if you see it as a sexist statement, but it's true regardless.

Women are emotional more so than Men are, and most reactions are based on those emotions. It's reactionary part of women, and it's not being pointed out as a bad thing, but does need to be pointed out.

1. relache profile image72

If it's true "regardless" then how do you explain the recent thread where a guy was defending his right to be overly emotional to me, and slamming me for what he perceives as a lack of emotion on my part?

It's not true regardless.

Hey Relache, I have no need to explain what someone else said to you. I wasn't part of that thread and had I been, then I would certainly address the issue, for what it is or was.

I've seen Men jump to emotion. My statement is a proven fact that women are more emotional than men.

So you coming here and claiming it is not, isn't going to make it any less true. Women, their emotions are one of their strengths and also one of their weakness, just like it is for men.

wink

10. theherbivorehippi profile image64
    theherbivorehippiposted 13 years ago

You know Brie...I have to agree with Cagsil 100 percent on all of this thread.  Hubapages provides you with answers that you need.  NOW..I understand that of course, sometimes you will be stumped or need help from time to time however, what I don't understand is every time you ask a question...it ends up being a complaint about Hubpages.  I have read so many of your posts and I browse right over them because you can't seem to ask a question without whining and complaining or somehow blaming Hubpages.

To imply that you have no time to do this and that others who are nice enough to respond in these forums must have all the time in the world is ridiculous and immature.  Everyone is in the same boat as you, editing has had to be done but there's no point making it seem like you're the only one being targeted.  Some of us have several profiles to take care, yet we get it done.

NOW...to say that you don't have time to look up the answers you need....why should other Hubbers constantly go out of their way to help you if you admit that you have absolutely no desire to help yourself? 

As for Cagsil's "women" comment.  I do believe that it HAS been proven that women are much more emotional than men and do tend to take things more personal.  Nothing wrong with it, it's called hormones.  I think Cagsil was being quite nice trying to end his post on a positive note asking you to not be offended because you are clearly the kind of person who would be offended by a direct tone.

Perhaps if you stop acting like your time is more valuable than everyone else around you more people would want to help you.  And stop complaining about what Hubpages has done to you...no one asks you to be here.  Shame on them for trying to clean things up to make this a more profitable environment for everyone.

11. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I think what used to be true isn't necessarily true anymore, what with E food colorings etc.

While yes traditionally men might have been less emotional than women, I'm not sure that holds true nowadays.

Anyway, let's get back to tags or lack of?

I add less than 10 usually because I am useless at choosing them. I know the suggested ones only pick out words from my hub, and when I write a carefully focussed hub they will pick out the ones I was aiming for.

Tags are keywords?

I keep thinking I understand it, then I don't. Must be my age.

Same thing.

1. IzzyM profile image88
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But there is a yes and no there. Because each tag is clickable, and it takes you to a feed. Some have loads of other hubs there, and some have none.
        Sometimes adding a tag that has a loaded feed increases your dollar signs under 'earnings potential' and sometimes it'll decrease.
        This is where I get confused. Are you better to stick with general tags that have loads in the feed, or more unusual tags that no-one else (on HP) has written about?
        Do you want rid of the tags that take your earning potential down to $, or stick with the ones that give you $$$$? Even though the one that gives you $ is more relevant?

Actually, tags and keywords are the same thing.
          Okay, this doesn't seem to be a problem. It's something Google crawlers follow. All links on your page that leave your page, including tags/keywords are followed. Most likely for relevance and/or quality.
          Yes, that is something I've learned, but not completely worked out a workable solution to determine whether or not, there is something of value, that I've missed. I understand it's earning potential that HP applies to content and using words play a factor, but what I am unsure about is, whether it would be beneficial for keywords/tags to connected to so many other locations, including hubs or not connected.

I haven't worked it out.

I would hope during "keyword research" that you would have figured out the niche you want to be directed at. Too broad based keywords/tags isn't always good and can have bad effect. Single word keywords/tags are too broad for a niche market. It would only make sense. Niche Markets are targeted, not for generalization.

I am not an expert and don't claim to be. But, that is my assessment, as my complete data isn't actually finished. wink

12. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

You are better to stick to tags that are valid important keywords for the content... like words you would put in the index if it was a book chapter.

13. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

So you're as clueless as me? lol

We both have enough savvy to understand certain aspects, but not all, about tags.

We agree that tags should include our keyword researched keywords but sometimes they don't seem to be the right ones.

Having said all that, I still prefer to stick with too few tags than too many.

Good info here for newbies, I hope smile

I would not call you and me clueless. lol But, I get what you were saying about keywords/tags not working out. I've a few myself and am working on it.

I'm forever working on tags, that I review them every few months, to see what it does for traffic? lol

1. IzzyM profile image88
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

One day it hit home with complete clarity! Honestly there was one day when I understood exactly how tags worked and it was really simple.
        Next day when I woke up I'd forgotten it, and it still hasn't come back totally....sad

Sorry to hear that. sad I'm still testing...it's a process, like anything else. wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)