Featured Articles??

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (50 posts)
  1. DIYweddingplanner profile image76
    DIYweddingplannerposted 13 years ago

Has anyone really read the featured articles recently?  You should check them out...here is an excerpt...

Weddings or marriages are made in heaven” is a very usually quoted phrase on various situations that are directly or indirectly related to love or relationships. It’s true, weddings are the biggest turning points in the life of the couple that can literally change their lives, it’s not only about tying knots and living together, it’s farther lengthened than all these elements. Marriage is the stage where the girl gets abided to various adjectives and relations with the specific in-law at the end. It is a very distinctive feeling which cannot be described in words

Seriously??!

1. JenPsych profile image69
      JenPsychposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow, how did that get featured?

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hmm really. That one slipped through something!  I couldn't find it on the home page.

I don't normally open them to read, but I have read a few that were very well written. There are a couple of strange titles this week..

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That was a featured article on the HP home page!?!?! sad sad sad

Something is wrong here... neutral

3. camlo profile image84
      camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So that's why I've never been a featured writer here. I'm relieved.

DIYweddingplannerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Where's the "like" button?

4. Robin profile image86
      Robinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Can you direct us to the Hub?  I don't see it in the Homepage's featured Hubs.  We obviously made a mistake and thank you for catching it!

5. Michael Willis profile image67
      Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm, well if it is written on HubPages, then...Robin or Maddie or whoever is in forums...you should look here also.
      http://www.buzzle.com/articles/elegant- … f-you.html
      Chances are it is a duplicate or copied material.  I typed in the paragraph in the OP post and found this in Google search results.

It makes about the same amount of sense there as it did here!

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91
        Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, good. They can have it.

2. theherbivorehippi profile image64
    theherbivorehippiposted 13 years ago

Seriously is right!  That's a mess......

3. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

So, that Hub now has at least four flags, right?  If not, folks, go get busy.  It only takes a second - much less time than it took to post here.

I don't know how featured articles become featured.  It would be a great question to ask the staff - but for now, let's do our part to help them out!

1. paradigmsearch profile image60

I agreed with you and tried to comply. But according to google the article is already gone! smile @OP Are you sure it was there? smile

4. DIYweddingplanner profile image76

I'm flagging, but should you really have to flag featured articles?  That's not the only one I found like that.  It's embarassing!  How DO they get to be featured articles?  Enquiring minds want to know!

Post the link please. smile

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Another note: I also went to the HP homepage. But after 5 minutes, I gave up waiting for it load... neutral

I wonder what google's opinion is of videos and/or other high-bandwidth doodads and their load times on a website's home page...

Edit: Videos and/or other high-badwidth doodads are ok everyplace else, but maybe the front page isn’t such a good idea… smile

6. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 13 years ago

Ummm.  Ugh.

7. DIYweddingplanner profile image76

I went back and couldn't find it. I don't remember which category it was under, but even the title was ungrammatical, that I do remember.

Post the links to some of the other featured articles you flagged. smile

2. Aficionada profile image79
      Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Does your browser keep a history of the pages you have visited?  I use my history often to find places I have visited, but can't remember.  I use Internet Explorer (still).

8. DIYweddingplanner profile image76

I was on a different computer.  Here is one I flagged, but not nearly as bad as that one.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Deciding-for-Your-Wedding-Gown

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Following through to the comments made on that hub, shows us even more people who do not truly understand how to speak English.

Ugh, you're right.  I missed those!  I'm embarassed to be a part of the whole wedding community! smile

So this hub you found featured on the specific topics page?  I thought you meant the HP home page.  I don't think those featured hubs on topic pages are chosen by people. It may have to do with views at that particular time.

No, not the main ones on the home page, although I've flagged some of those before, too.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60

And these critters are featured articles?

If so, then this looks like an ongoing problem. You just may have performed a great service to HP.

But how do they get there?

I'd guess that HP is looking into that very question as we speak. smile

9. DIYweddingplanner profile image76
    1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Flagged for having a pixelated profile image!

10. DIYweddingplanner profile image76

I also found the same paragraph here:

http://www.perfectweddingcloth.com/eleg … st-of-you/

And here:

http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_6f2c88330100n09t.html

Along with a bunch of really bizarre nonsensical stuff.

11. DIYweddingplanner profile image76
  12. DIYweddingplanner profile image76

And finally found it on HP again:

http://hubpages.com/hub/chic-bridal-ball-gowns

That hub is in violation of HP TOS.

Did you notice the ads above the comment box? I've never seen ads placed there before.  Have you?

No, and probably if we looked at the rest of her hubs, they would be in violation as well.

2. theherbivorehippi profile image64
        theherbivorehippiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've seen that happen with the ads a lot.  If there are pictures placed all the way down the right side of the hub and there is no room for that ad that usually sits there it gets moved to the bottom of the text above the comment box.  I like it there....if I wasn't so lazy (lol) I would go through and add photos to a lot of hubs to bump a few adds down there.  I actually have one hub on my travel profile that is like this and it's one of my top clicked hubs.

I haven't seen ads there before. The font size seems larger than regular ads.

The hubber has duplicate content from the Buzzle site.

1. theherbivorehippi profile image64
            theherbivorehippiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The ad does appear to be on steroids, right?  But...look at that monster ad on the right side of the hub too.  It's like twice the size as usual.  So weird.  This hub is definitely horrible.  It makes you wonder if the Buzzle article that was copied was this hubber's original work or did they really think this was a quality article worth copying? hmm

I've found it on four different sites besides HP!

I'm sure it's all duplicate content. If you click on the author's name at Buzzle, you see the same articles.

Hard to believe people would duplicate pure spun nonsense...

I'm way too naive.

We live in desperate times, people will do anything.. I'm always a bit amazed when I see hubbers divulge their income amounts in a forum. It's like an open invitation for those lurking about trying to find the high earners and copy their content.

oh well, it's the world we live in.

I'm going to bed. Yeah, Friday! big_smile

2. Randy Godwin profile image59
                    Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We all start out that way, DIY!  It is a fatal flaw of honest people.  The alternative is much worse though! 

I would imagine these featured articles are those which bring in the most views and earnings.  Probably a computer program decides which articles are chosen to be featured.  I hope this is indeed the case, because if not, we are in real trouble!  lol

13. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

From the article:  "It is a very distinctive feeling which cannot be described in words."

My son said maybe that's the reason the writer is having so much trouble writing ("it cannot be described in words")!  lol  lol

Love it! smile  I've never been "abided to different adjectives."  I wonder what that's like?!

1. Aficionada profile image79
        Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm generally pretty good at translating spun articles back to some kind of sense - when I choose to take the time.  But that one surely has stumped me!!!  lol  lol  lol  lol

The only part I could really agree with is that marriage is life changing! smile

14. cindyvine profile image70
    cindyvineposted 13 years ago

You're right there Rebekahelle, have often wondered the same thing.

15. BobbiRant profile image59
    BobbiRantposted 13 years ago

Last month one was featured that I almost needed an interpreter to tell me what was written there.  Bad grammatical errors all over the place.  It's not unusual anymore.  No wonder Google isn't happy with HP if That stuff gets featured.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)