jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

12 year old invited to March in High School Band

1. katiem2 profile image56
    katiem2posted 6 years ago

My twelve year old is musically inclined, she plays the violin, the alto sax and tenor sax, guitar and piano.

On occasion special invitations to join the band are sent out, this is one such occasion

She's been sent a letter inviting her to play in our districts High School Marching band and if excepted she will be expected to start performing with them right away.

Hmmmm while she is very excited and wants to do it I have reservations and think she may want to wait till she's a freshman.

What do you think?

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Congratulations!
      What do you mean, though?   Will it be a permanent position?  I think I'd have reservations too, if it's a permanent one.  Simply because she still needs to focus on her usual curriculum and activities with students her own age...

katiem2posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thank you, Yes it would be a permanent position and one in which she'd be expected to do everything the high school students do, attend games, performances in parades, competitions, summer band camp and the like.  It's a very busy schedule.

2. Greek One profile image77
      Greek Oneposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Sign her to a long term management contract!

Lock in your 50% agent fee from now!!

lol, thanks Greek, I'm smiling now smile big_smile

2. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

Congrats to her! smile

I would consider it an honor. wink big_smile

That's a good point and she is a very high energy person who loves a challenge and staying busy.  This could work.  Thanks for the help. smile

3. Patty Inglish, MS profile image88
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 6 years ago

I'd let her do it, because it could lead to a music scholarship, internships, and professional work if she wants it. So congratulations - this is a FAR cry from when my university did not allow women into the band and my middle and high school tryied to keep girls out as well. 

If she is dedicated and can handle it, let her do it - the younger kids certainly keep up in Drum and Buggle Corps these days. My own parents interfered, because they were hiding the secrets that my father dropped out of college, my mother dropped out of 6th grade and neither had music or art skills - They made me quit both after I began receiving awards, felt they'd be exposed.

Great point Patty, Thanks so much smile

That's to bad, your right this is a great opportunity, she is very dedicated, energetic and loves her sax, which is the instrument she'll be playing in the band. 

Thanks a lot.

working