Hubscore - part 2

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Peter Owen profile image60
    Peter Owenposted 12 years ago

I had a bunch of forum posts two months ago about hubscore dropping due to following too many people. It got so much action that I wrote  hub about it.
    <snipped link>

New question on Hubscore:
    When I write a hub, and people comment, I usually respond to each comment by writing a follow-up comment. It just occurred to me that my making a number of comments under my own hub could possibly cause the system to rate down my Hubscore.
    But there is no other way to really respond to another person's comment.
    Should I be concerned with making too many comments under my own Hub??

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think most hubbers try to respond to comments received.  I know I do and it has never caused a problem.

The bigger question, though, is why you are so concerned about the score?  It does little to nothing for you, although I have noted an increase in new followers when the score hits 99 or 100.  Followers who never read a hub or leave a comment, just follow.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
        Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I pretty much have always responded to all comments, other than the two-worders (like "good Hub").  It's never caused any problem with any scores as far as I can tell.  In fact, recent changes made me "brave enough" (or tired enough) to remove comment capsules from most of my Hubs,  because responding had become like a part-time job for me; and because the comments were about serious things I didn't have the heart not to respond.  (So my point is that I've made lots and lots of responses to comments without seeing any dramatic drops in scores.)

2. Peter Owen profile image60
    Peter Owenposted 12 years ago

Thx.
    Two reasons for concern with hubscore
    1) I think a lot of people will tend to read a hub if the hubber has a higher score. Can't be certain, just a guess
    2) pure EGO, and this is probably the primary reason

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What people? Other members?

Other hubbers don't bring you money or usually, more traffic. You'll get views from them in the first few weeks but those views will soon drop off, leaving you with traffic from search engines. And search engine traffic is very unlikely to notice numbers.

Peter Owenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

thx.
        Yes - other hubbers. I agree their reading doesn't usually bring money, unless they click on an ad. But all it takes is a few to email or suggest the hub to other people and it could easily get outside traffic. Would be hard to track, but I really don't see any downside here.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
          Glenn Stokposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Peter, it's not hard to track if traffic is coming from people clicking on links in their email that someone else sent them. I see it all the time. You can see your traffic sources under your "My Account" tab and then click "Traffic Sources" - if you see anything like "mail.yahoo.com" or "mail.google.com"  that is from someone's email.

Ah - I learn something every day here.
            thx

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Personally I think the hubscore is just a clever why to create social capital and get people to act in certain ways that are desirable for the company but maybe not immediately profitable for the user.  Nothing wrong with that, it is one of the very effective tools HubPages employs to build content-provider loyalty. But if choosing between what makes more money and what makes a higher hubscore, the latter would always lose with me.

do you really have to choose? I should think what is good for one will be good for the other.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They overlap, but certainly not 100%

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
          PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I agree, hubscore doesn't really matter much and none of the experienced hubbers pay it much attention as far as I can see.  That doesn't seem to stop some people getting very hot under the collar about it, though, judging by the heated discussion on Peter's hub.

I value the hubber community for some of the great info and advice I get and for general convo.  I value the Google search people and other external traffic as the people who are most likely to generate revenue.

4. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
    LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

Hub scores and your profile score don't do much except if they fall to under 72. Then they become "no follows" for outgoing links.

As far as the profile score, It appears to add a degree of reputability. This reputability is in "supposition" only. By reading hubs, only then can you truly ascertain the reputation as an author of any hubber.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
      PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that's a good answer.  I said hubscore doesn't matter.  But it's true that if I see someone with a hubscore of 1, then I am immediately suspicious, I admit.  Normally with good reason it turns out.

5. LuisEGonzalez profile image78

Since it seems that a growing number of writers keep having concerns regarding hub scores and profile scores, here are my deductions based on my two month analysis.

Hub scores are based on the number of visitors on a per day basis.
    Hubs receive a starting score when they are first published, or saved pre-published. This is usually around 50. Hubs that receive a higher hub score even when they have not yet been published, do so due to key word commonalities/frequency.

Example 1: a hub titled Red Shirt School of Photography has a uncommon title,that deals with a little searched complete topic. However the words;Red-Shirt-School-Photography are common words, so the score for the hub is based on these words. It's initial score was 51.

Example 2. Hub titled The Cosplay Photographic Style, is also a seldom searched complete topic. However the word cosplay has few commonalities with other key words. This word alone set the unpublished score of the hub at 62. When published two days later it had a hub score of 65.

Profile scores: This score is based on the number of visitors per a determinate time frame. You have seen hubers with years on the site, many followers, many hubs and profile scores in the 70's. Yet by the same token there are hubers with 8 weeks on this site,6 hubs, 13 followers and a profile score of 93.

Hub hoping, forum participation, answers and questions, commenting does help  but this appears to be minimal contributors.

This points to an long held belief & advice which has been posted on many occasions that quality hubs, in niche topics and of original content is the main contributor to succeed in Hubpages.

No I don't work for Hubpages, but I have been a business and procedural annalist, among other things, for quite a few years.

6. LuisEGonzalez profile image78

A side note: I applied the strategy which I previously posted for my last hub: Kinetic and Spirit Photography. This hub is number one on the first page of Google after just 2 days. Kinetic has few commonalities with other key words, spirit and photography have many commonalities. But Kinetic-Spirit and Photography used in combination rendered a better search result. The hub is also on the first page through Shetoldme and Redgage.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)