HP is changing its image

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (55 posts)
  1. Petra Vlah profile image60
    Petra Vlahposted 13 years ago

Is HP still a writers’ community or a graphic artists’ gallery?

Recently I got several e-mails from editor@pubpages.com alerting me about pixilated images on my hubs that makes them substandard according to HP rules. With good intentions at heart, HP wants to improve my earning experience”.  I have never signed up for Adsense or any other “money making machine”; NONE of my hubs are commercial and my settings indicates that clearly, so my earning potential on HP is zero – just the way I want it to be.

I am not a computer graphic artist, nor do I want to become one. The only reason I use some pictures is to illustrate a point and reinforce the main idea of my hubs and it takes me for ever to find and insert pictures.

I have seen extremely low quality content hubs with great pictures (mainly beautiful and half necked women) and I wonder about the real standards of HP writing community. Are we here to write or to decorate?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

See that was a mistake-- listening to the people at PubPages, smile

Seriously, you may be able to use some of your photos at half size, and they will clear up.

Petra Vlahposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Rochelle
        I am totally handicapped when it comes to technical adjustments and I would not know how to make them half size, but I will try and see what happens.
        As for listening to HP well intentioned moderators I would think they should concentrat on content (which may bring them more money than pictures), but then again, who knows what their priorities are

1. katiem2 profile image60
          katiem2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Exactly just reduce the size per the whole, half or quarter option.  I find this always clears up such issues.  Best of luck with that.

That makes more sense to me, but according to psycheskiner "expertise" my pictures are too small (?!) so I am back at square one so I will follow Michael instructions. Will see what happense

1. psycheskinner profile image83
              psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pictures pixelate when you show them at a size that is too large for the file. 

e.g. if you show a 250 wide picture over a 500 pixel wide space--the computer fills in the extra pixels as best it can making the picture look weird.

You can either get a bigger picture (500 pixel wide picture), or display the picture over a smaller space (250 pix wide space).

Either will work.

If you look down the page you will see how this answer contradicts what you have said before. So what is it?! Too big or to small?!

No there is no contradiction--I don't know where you are seeing one.  Just do one of the two things suggested, either will work.

If you really think pictures really aren't important, you could just leave them off altogether.

So you believe that "too big" and "too small" are one and the same thing? No comment

2. readytoescape profile image60
      readytoescapeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When I get a negative pixilated message, and it has happened more than once, it’s usually from my wife complaining the Scotch bottle is empty again.

Of course, since she doesn’t drink scotch, I automatically get the blame.

I however, possibly being guilty and possibly also being pixilated, ignore these assertions because by then, my hearing is blurry.

Just remember your wife is always right. As for HP team? only half the time;-))) if that many

3. IntimatEvolution profile image70
      IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Seems like to me that HP has lost their "customer service appeal" and "individualized, personal service", when you present your case in this manner.  Have you taken up this issue with the staff?  Have they blown you off, like they seem to do to so many around here?

They just ignored me, which I find unprofessinal and offensive. I guess I should count more on the help of great fellow hubers and less on the HP "customer service".
        Simmone (member of the HP staff) has a post on the forum explaining the Panda changes and she talks about some new (and I suppose not so expereansed moderators). Let's hope they learn fast...

1. IzzyM profile image87
          IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I doubt if they 'ignored you', as you put it. They are snowed under just now. And everything you needed to know was in the learning centre, or all you had to do was ask on the forums.
          Don't really understand the rant.

If the team is snowed under is because they chose to look over writers hubs and point out the so very important issue of pictures quality.

When it happense to you to have hubs delated you may think this is just a rant, but until then...

1. IzzyM profile image87
              IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We've all had hubs unpublished, me included. I must have had at least 10 unpublished, maybe more.
              I just fix them, re-submit, and they are back on within hours.

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
    LuisEGonzalezposted 13 years ago

Pixelated images look like as if they were of poor quality, so if you are going to use images then they should of good quality.
    Whether your interest is monetarily driven or not, and I take my hat to you  for clearly stating your motive, low quality images, like low quality Hubs have a detrimental effect on the entire site.

What is detrimental for the site is LOW quality content hubs with great pictures.

Any error detracts from the value of the hub, whether it is textual or pictorial.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

Pixelated images are a mistake, just like typos.  If I was notified of having made such a mistake I would not hesitate to fix it, without complaint.

I am happy for you if you know how to fix it; I DO NOT!

Your picture is too small. You need to delete it or replace it with a larger picture--500 pixels wide or more.

Which picture are you refering to?  The one used for my poem "The way I feel words" is actualy very big and so are most of the ones that appear to be pixelated

I guess that post is not currently published as I cannot find it.

I mean that for any hub the picture needs to be around 500 pixels wide or more if it fills the who column, 250 for half size.

If you right click on the image and look at its properties you can see how big it is.

I gues HP unpublished my poem (which by the way is part of 2 anthologies of contemporary poets published in English?!) because of a technicality I do not know how to fix. HP may chose to unpublish some more of my hubs, OR I may chose to delate them all. Up to the team!

1. Pearldiver profile image68
                Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh this is getting ridiculous.. sad

Petra join me on FB ... Nellianna has my details - if you are getting this sort of treatment with your work then you may well find (@FB) that you have vastly superior options. smile

I may just do that. Thank you for the suggestion. It seems that HP is determened to get a "picture perfect" site with no content. Game ON...

2. Pearldiver profile image68
            Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Petra... sorry that you have had 2 sets of 'Helpful' Information that is about as helpful as a left ear on your elbow!

Michael knows and you should try what he is saying.
            Failing that Downsize your Large pics down to roughly Postcard size BEFORE you upload them to this site. You can do that by opening the picture and changing it's size with 'Paint' if you are on Microsoft. 

I am Absolutely SURE That you do not need anyone who doesn't know your work, commenting on how to improve it! roll

Good Luck!

Good Luck is right Pearldiver!
              I may try, but my frustration grows by the minute and I find it absurd that the team has nothing better to do, but to police the picture size and quality.
              Some of the best writers I met on HP have already left the site, some are publishing only occasionaly and I wonder if this type of harasement has anything to do with it. SAD!

2. readytoescape profile image60

Pearldiver is right and it is a simple fix. Take the original image file and open it in paint,
              Then on the image menu select resize. In the pop up window enter a revised percentage of the picture size and a new picture will be created in that size.

For example if you picture file is 500 X 800 pixels, enter 50% in the resizing boxes horizontal and vertical. Click okay and the new image will be 250 x 400 but it will also be sharper and cleaner. 

Pearldiver right about your work too!

2. Michael Willis profile image68
        Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How are you sizing your pictures? Some pictures are small and look better when sized in the "quarter size" within the photo capsule.  I have a few pics that I have to use this way to keep from having the pixelated appearance.

My picftures are exactly how I find them at "photosearch" or "get images", my only sources. I know nothing about half size as opposed to full size and until a few days ago I had no idea what pixelated means

1. Michael Willis profile image68

OK, when you are in edit mode on your hub, inside the photo capsule after your upload a picture, there is a drop-down box that you see as full size. Click the box and you see full size, half-size and quarter size. Click on quarter size and see the difference.

That is REAL help Michael and I thank you for taking the time to bring some light into the darkness of my ignorance. I will try and see what happens

2. Michael Willis profile image68

Here is an example image:

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5023883_f248.jpg

Where you see the Full Size/Half Size/Qtr Size to the right of the blue arrow is a Drop-Down box. Click it and you will see these 3 options.

I work with my pictures all of the time. Most work I do on my computer first, but HP Photo capsule only has these 3 options for sizing.

2. Petra Vlah profile image60

That helps even more, Michael, thank you again

You are welcome! Good luck.

4. SandyMcCollum profile image61
    SandyMcCollumposted 13 years ago

Readytoescape - she said "Pixelated" not "Pickled!" Very funny, you are.

1. readytoescape profile image60

Isn't that the same thing?

Hang on,

have to move all the empty bottles to get the dictionary.

I am looking for some bottles to clear my mind:-))) and to see how fast will HP get drank on pure water.

5. Haunty profile image72
    Hauntyposted 13 years ago

I don't know about pixelated(?) images. I presume they just want our hubs to look good. Nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned. smile

Between food that "looks good" and the one that actually tasts good and has nutritional value, my choice is clear

6. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

ok.  I want to say this nicely - please don't misunderstand me - I'm not being contrary.  However, I just want to say that everyone's complaints about HP's newest improvements (changes - whatever) leave me cold.  I mean, if you want to use this site to showcase your writing (whether you make $ or not isn't the point) wouldn't you want to use all of its great features and learn how to use them?  The instructions seem clear to me about how to make changes, how to design a hub in the first place so you won't run into troubles, and if you aren't technically proficient when you start here, I am sure you will learn fast.  I hate to say it, but even though I've been here almost 2 years now (I think) I still have a lot to learn.  You don't have to be a graphic artist to be able to make your hub interesting and appealing and use the images the way they show up best.  Ok.  I said it.  I'm trying to be encouraging, not critical, believe it or not.  I encourage you to go back and look at the very fine instruction pages HP has made for us - I did and I realize I missed some things before. Now I will go sit down and shut up again! big_smile

Instructions about how to fix the problem were given to me by well meaning hubbers ONLY after I posted this message. Where is the HP TEAM when we need them?!

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They are a little bit busy at present.  I notice Jason seemed to be working all through the weekend, unless he logs on to wind people up just for fun in his free time.

That's meant to be a joke by the way.  What I fail to understand is why they haven't pulled any of my hubs yet - a veritable treasure trove of miscategorised incomprehensible trash.  I guess I don't have pixellated pictures.

Sorry for being flippant. We're all suffering here post Panda.

I guess Panda has taken over the HP zoo;-)))

2. mega1 profile image80
          mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

where angels dare not tread!  big_smile

2. mega1 profile image80
        mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

once again, the HP team has already answered those questions, all you need to do is a search for "pixelated image" or whatever other changes you need to make - and you can always email them, or maybe you already did that?

I did not know Micael and the rest were part of the team. When I wrote directly to the HP Team they did not respond to my e-mail so I guess we have to make the problem public for the team to show up. At least I know now what it takes to get an answer. Thank you team!

7. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

also, just did a search for "pixelated images" and found all the info you will ever need for fixing your images.  Good luck! and happy hubbing to you!

8. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

I don't know all this stuff either, Petra!  Fortunately I have a son (an IT by profession) who installed a ShrinkPix (sic) program on my computer which seems to take care of such problems.  smile

9. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q245/calala_red/Pixelated1.jpg

The image at left is shown at the correct size. The picture at right is shown at a size too big for the file. You can see how the computer stretches it to take up the space and it looks "dotty".

That's what pixelated means.

Thank you Wry,
      I have learned a few days ago what pixelated means, but only now I kind of know how to fix it, so I will try

10. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

The hub was unpublished, not deleted, and they seem to have made clear what needs to be fixed.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)