Does Tweeting Your Hub Link Count as a Backlink?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (22 posts)
  1. smanty profile image60
    smantyposted 12 years ago

I have never Tweeted my articles and I feel as though that may be a problem. I know I can do better with views, but I just need to know where to post my links. I need to generate more organic backlinks and I am thinking that Twitter may be the place to go. Has it helped you with your views?

Thanks!

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I honestly don't know if Twitter has helped my views or not, but I always tweet new hubs. If you add a hash-tag to the Tweet, it will reach wider audience, apparently.

You can also take your latest hubs feed, run it through Feedburner and post it on Twitterfeed or a similar service to automatically tweet.

I tend to do these things, and have set up the feeds through Feedburner and Twitterfeed, but have not honestly noticed much difference, especially now that HP is out of favor in general.

It does seem to help views to my new blogs, however.

2. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Oh and in answer to your topic question, no it doesn't count as a backlink.

3. theirishobserver. profile image62
    theirishobserver.posted 12 years ago

I have just published a significant Hub about social networking - it is based on a Business Plan that I produced for a new e-marketing concept smile

4. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

It really depends on your follower base and reach.

Using hashtags can get your links out to more eyes. If you are a regular twitter user or promoter, smart hash use probably can lead to some great views. But such views wont be much for converting.

I recently set all new Xobba Articles to feed out on my sunforged twitter account which has 6k followers. Stats usually show about 30-50 visitors coming from twitterfeed as a result.

Thats a pretty terrible turnout, but since my use of twitter is mostly as a broadcaster, my "followers" are not that engaged - topics vary to much, I dont RT much etc.

If you have engaged followers you can get a better turn out, but how many people does your tweet actually reach?

1. IzzyM profile image86

My followers are only a few hundred, and they are not followers in any true sense, as I don't know them and they don't know me. Most people ignore my links altogether, and I am lucky to get more than 2 or 3 visitors from a tweet, sometimes none.
      But when a link is posted, we don't know if that anonymous visitor likes what they see so much that they create a backlink on their own site or not. Or if they hate it.
      Until I know it is a waste of time, I'll keep my tweets going.

5. K9keystrokes profile image84
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

Please forgive my "hub-challenged" question but, what is a hashtag?

1. IzzyM profile image86

You add a hash sign (#) plus a word that describes your hub. You can add a few hashtags normally.
      If your write about football, you can add #football #worldcup or whatever at the end of your shortened url

1. K9keystrokes profile image84
        K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Very cool! Thanks Izzy. Will try putting this to work on my next hub.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
          PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

just to clarify, the hash is a twitter thing not a hubpagesk9key, you do it there not here!  :-)

1. Cagsil profile image70
            Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Paul, K9 wasn't referencing doing it on HP, but was referencing using Twitter for creating the link. wink

6. englightenedsoul profile image58
    englightenedsoulposted 12 years ago

I really have no idea if posting to twitter count as backlink or not, but they really do help.  Google indexes your tweet and if you are lucky, you can get search engine traffic.  I tweeted one of my article on Xobba and that tweet is currently on page 2 on google search.  Look.

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx35/englightenedsoul/XobbaArticleOnTwitter.jpg

And I have really not delved deeper in my twitterfeed account to see how much clickthroughs I am getting, but I am certain it is not much. 

But I think twitter as a promotion tool can be very useful.  In the past I've made around $10 with sponsored tweets and a few amazon sales during christmas from twitter.

7. Garrett Mickley profile image78
    Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years ago

Oli says Google does look at Twitter links, and Oli is worth trusting.

I'll keep on Tweetin'.

I also heard that Google Buzz (Google's attempt at Twitter) holds some weight, also.  It takes less than 10 seconds to post to each so I go ahead and do it.  Seems like if it's a waste of time, it's not wasting much time.

8. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

Finally someone explained what a hash tag is, I've been wondering what those were for a while. Thanks to Izzy. As far as Tweeter, they count as back links when someone while on Tweeter(except you) clicks on them.

9. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

#tags are for events, so for instance during the launch of the Traveller-AR beta at SXSW 2011 I spent a lot of time using the #sxsw hashtag.

You can use the hashtag, but unless people are looking for that hashtag it might not bring you much.

Google and Bing have both publicly announced that they use the twitter firehouse to draw social data on sites social trust.

10. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

I am so far out of the loop on this, I might as well be on Pluto!

I joined Twitter some months ago, but I still don't know how to use it and so I never sign in.  I may have a few followers there, but I'm sure it's only a few right now.  I would like to take advantage of whatever it has to offer, in case it could have some real value. 

But I'm a step-by-step person, up to the point where I understand the principles of what I'm learning - then I may actually become pretty good at something.  Most social-media information that I've found assumes more knowledge than I have (so far) about Twitter.

Would one of you please write a Hub about how to Tweet our Hubs and write it as if you are explaining it to a four-year-old?  Or, if you know of one like that, please tell me where to find it?  Thanks!

1. Dame Scribe profile image56
      Dame Scribeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Aficiando smile I write about certain topics. I follow people in Twitter (that are interesting to me) from those topic areas and hope I get a eventual link lol not sure if anything has happened yet but I think Twitter has helped some with traffic and I seem to get about 3-4 followers each week hmm just use the search function in twitter to find your interests, click on links n open in new window to read and guage if you want to follow or not. smile hope that helps.

1. Aficionada profile image80
        Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I appreciate your attempt to help, Dame Scribe. smile  If I can manage to get into Twittering mode, I will follow your suggestions for following others and getting more followers.

What I need even more is some very clear instructions on how to Tweet and specifically how to Tweet a Hub effectively.  Once I try it a few times, I'll probably wonder why it was ever difficult for me!

11. Peter Owen profile image61
    Peter Owenposted 12 years ago

Does it hurt to Tweet a hub more than once? I did one 3 times each a month apart and noticed more views on the hub when I did it

1. thisisoli profile image72
      thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Probably won't hurt, the best way to find out is to test it out and see!

2. Peggy W profile image96
      Peggy Wposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have noticed others do that...seem to tweet the same items more than once.  I have also wondered about that whether it would seem like duplicate content to Google?

12. Gerber Ink profile image91
    Gerber Inkposted 12 years ago

I've found that Tweeting definitely has helped me with my Google Adsense earnings and Google ranking. I use a Twitter buffer to pre-tweet weeks and even months in advance, so I'm always rotating my new, as well as old, hubs.  What I'm talking about is Twuffer.com - VERY easy to use. In addition I always "like" my hubs on my Facebook account.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)