Traffic exchange

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
    Hollie Thomasposted 13 years ago

Hi,
    I've had a worrying automated message on one of my hubs which states "warning your hub appears to be receiving traffic from a traffic exchange" I've back linked all my hubs in the same way. I do not understand what this means. Has anyone else received warnings like this?

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

Traffic exchanges are known sites. You could have linked to them or someone else may have done so. You can use Yahoo Site Explorer to see where your backlinks come from, and do some research on known traffic exchange sites.

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

A traffic exchange is a site where people literally swap visits to each otherspages.  If you have not been taking part in any such thing the warning will probably go away in a while.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oops,I realise in all these conversations, we've missed advising the OP.

I don't think it's wise to ignore the warning.  If HubPages has detected a possible violation, Google may have too - it would be worth checking out. 

Perhaps start by emailing team@ to see if they can give you more information.

4. Hollie Thomas profile image61
    Hollie Thomasposted 13 years ago

Ok, thanks-I'll check it out.

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to HubPages, and good luck.

5. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years ago

Ok--I stumbled into this post out of curiosity about its title.

Frankly, I'm not sure I understand the issue.

I've never heard of a "traffic exchange," site, but in any case, what's the problem?  It seems like a huge, "So what?" to me--meaning, if this is against the rules, I don't see why it should be.

I hardly see any difference between swapping visits to people's hubs by promoting them via FaceBook, Twitter, Digg, Stumble Upon, or any other such site, (from whence people may or may not actually visit), and who is to tell whether the people on these so-called 'exchanges' actually follow through either?.

Someone may arrive initially from an "exchange" site, but then they may stop and actually read something, like it, click a link, or who knows, sign up themselves.

The same kind of "I'll visit yours if you visit mine" could just as easily be set up by means of an e-mail tree--it would not then be a public "known" site--and no one would know the diffference!

The point is, both HP and the authors are getting traffic.  Traffic=revenue; traffic=potential for links to be clicked; traffic=someone might or might not--in either case-- buy something from an Amazon or EBay capsule...
    In short, traffic=income for all:  who cares how it gets here?

Added traffic means everyone wins.

Perhaps someone could explain why this is considered a problem.

1. profile image0

From the Google AdSense support forum:

"Can I use traffic exchange programs?"

"While traffic exchange services may help bring traffic to your site, we don't recommend using them, as they may lead to invalid clicks or impressions and result in your account being disabled."

http://www.google.com/adsense/support/b … swer=81555

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
        DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ok, I have read the material at both links.  "Google says so," but cannot themselves explain how to determine if a click is "invalid."

So, if they can't tell....???? 

However, they have, like many other sites, simply put up a list of "must-not's" with threats of various penalites, without offering a reasonable explanation.

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I've never outgrown the "why" stage--and "Just because I said so" was the{/b} single most irritating pet peeve answer my parents ever gave me.  "just because" is not a real reason or answer:  it is a cop-out.  It irritates me to this day to hear that. 

I thank you both, Website Examiner and pedrog, for the replies and links.  I'm not saying I'm going to go now, and violate the terms, because I'm not going to:  that would hurt only myself...just when I am at a point where my AdSense revenue is starting to show minimal per-day increases....
        What I am saying, is that I'm dissatisfied with Google's answer and bogus non-explanations.

I can understand the auto-bot thing--those are just plain annoying in any context, and usually only generate spam, or worse, viruses and the like.  And I understand how it is 'cheating' in a way to PAY for some person to come in and make clicks...but for goodness sakes...if you only ASK them to do so??????  Shoot...maybe then they'd actually pay attention to the ads, and "WOW!!"  see something that they like and be glad they did, and maybe even buy the product!  I fail to see how that would "hurt" Google or anyone else. 
        But, as the kids today are fond of saying, "What[b]EVER
        roll
        hmm

*** retiring now to my cubbyhole to write more 'quality content'  '***

That is akin to saying, "it's OK to steal that person's handbag if they can't tell it was me".

The intent of Google's search engine was to return the best sites at the top of their search results.  A large part of that assessment was based on the number of visitors and the number of links it achieved. 

As we all know, the search results today are a mess - and to a large degree, that's due to the efforts by webmasters to impress Google by attracting fake links and fake readers.

Google keeps trying to improve its algorithm, but it still hasn't found a way to weed the fake links and fake readers out from the genuine ones. 

It's all a matter of degree. 

http://hubpages.com/hub/Black-Hat-SEO-i … fe-for-you

Right, ok--but I do disagree with your opening statement.  I do not think it falls into the category of theft...it's then more akin to 'stuffing the ballot box.'

And in the Hub you referenced, Pcunix points out that "Google just doesn't want us voting for ourselves." 

Well... phooey.. even at the polls, a candidate can cast ONE vote for themselves!

2. Marisa Wright profile image84

No, they won't.  The thing about traffic exchanges is that the members are on a mission to visit as many sites as they can (because they want other people to return the favour).  They don't even look at the page, far less click on anything.

ok--then  that smacks of "bots" and not people running around doing nothing all day but clicking into pages....I've got better things to do with my time!

1. pedrog profile image60
              pedrogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This rule as been in adsense for long time, back in 2006 when i wrote my first website i was promoting it in auto-surfs, traffic enxangers and other related websites, got an email from adsense saying if it doesn't stop my account would be canceled, learned my lesson smile

2. pedrog profile image60
      pedrogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is not approved because google says so:

"To ensure a positive experience for Internet users and Google advertisers, sites displaying Google ads may not:

* Use third-party services that generate clicks or impressions such as paid-to-click, paid-to-surf, autosurf and click-exchange programs. "

You can find it here:

http://www.google.com/adsense/support/b … swer=48182

Under Traffic Sources

3. Marisa Wright profile image84

Simple.  It's dishonest.  A traffic exchange is not about getting real readers, it's about artificially inflating the visits to your Hub to impress Google.

That's against Adsense TOS and you risk losing your Adsense account. 

Google assesses the merit of your Hub or website by the number of other people who link to it, and the number of visitors.  They frown on any practices which artificially inflate those numbers.  And that includes everything from "swapping visits" to traffic exchanges.

In practice, people are doing it all the time - because so long as they do it in private, it's difficult for Google to catch them.  In fact, we're so used to it, we've forgotten how dishonest it is, really.

Traffic exchanges can be really blatant, so they're one of the things Google CAN catch - if they detect a surge of traffic all coming from the same address, they will take action and you could lose your Adsense account.

6. psycheskinner profile image84

Most people using traffic exchanges don;t even look at the site, let alone click an ad or buy something.  It really is worthless traffic.

7. psycheskinner profile image84

I have used three different traffic exchanges myself.  Many thousands of hits, not a single affiliate sale.  The traffic exchange people don't look at the pages, they literally don't look at them.

8. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years ago

OH--KAAYYYYY!!!

I just wanted to clarify something I did not understand, and did not feel that Google addressed in a clear manner that amounted to much more than "just because."

From my first post on the topic, I already "got" that it was against the rules....and had no plans to follow such practices.

The tone of moral outrage in the replies, though.....

************  slinking off to crawl in a hole feeling like a scolded schoolgirl wrongly accused of cheating on a test

Oops, sorry MsLizzy, I didn't mean it that way at all!  Just trying to explain it as simply as possible. 

Your analogy of stuffing the ballot box is an excellent one - yes, you're allowed one vote, but only one!

S'okay, Marisa--that's one downside of online communictaion; no body language to see to back up the intent.

2. profile image0

I was under the impression that you were unfamiliar with the concept and sought guidance, which is what I tried to provide.

you are correct, Website Examiner--I was unfamiliar with the terminology, and upon reading the replies to the OP, I was confused, and sought clarification. It's just that the way I percieved the tone of the replies felt like a tongue-lashing.
        (Did I mention I tend to be thin-skinned???)  Oops.. my bad... If I over-reacted, I apologize.  HP does have a lot of very nice and good people as well as any of those who may be causing the problems responsible for all the recent changes...I meant no offense to anyone with my own reply or questions...and did not mean to sound snarky.

1. profile image0

DzyMsLizzy, no problem whatsoever. You have contributed to an interesting discussion.

1. Aficionada profile image81
            Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like it's sorted, and I'm glad of that.  I too want to say thank you to DzyMsLizzy for asking the questions, because a lot of other people probably have exactly the same question(s).  It's good to read the answers even when we ourselves didn't ask.

9. profile image52
    kimbojimposted 13 years ago

Traffic exchange will give you extra visitors, and that's great. But there's a problem with that.

Since the visitors are being brought to the website from another page, they either won't check the article, or will create invalid clicks, which costs AdWords marketers money and discredits Google. Not only that, but think of it this way.

There's a new store on the block, and it's marketing home improvement products. You go in there and, boom, they only sell Halloween costumes. It's not what the person is looking for so, while they might get more visitors, its traffic that won't really mean anything.

Hollie Thomasposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Does traffic adbar and traffic swarm count as traffic exchanges? I read a post on one of the forums a few days ago which listed a number of sites to use as backlinks and these two, amongst others, were on there.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, those are traffic exchanges.

Hollie Thomasposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, now I understand the problem.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
            psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hope you can get it sorted out now smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)