jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (16 posts)

A chicken loves us!

1. donotfear profile image91
    donotfearposted 6 years ago

Wow, hubby brought home 4 white chickens that were pumped full of growth hormones in a chicken house. They had severe problems adapting, one dang near died but my hubby nursed it and hand fed it. Now it thinks he is it's daddy.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/fordonotfear/newpic046.jpg

It positively loves us!  When we open the gate, it runs to our feet and stands there. It follows us around like a dog. It even follows the dog!

Isn't that cute?

1. BRIAN SLATER profile image86
      BRIAN SLATERposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I wonder what the chicken will think when it's in a roasting tin.smile

donotfearposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It's not going into the roasting bin!!  It's our pet now.  He just wants to be our chicky~!

1. psycheskinner profile image80
          psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Surely it is a she?

2. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

Cool! cool

3. donotfear profile image91

I'm thrilled. I can't wait until he comes running to me tomorrow!

4. Shadesbreath profile image87
    Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago

Uh, did you guys buy food or a pet?

Not for food!  Ha!  i couldn't eat a backyard chicken.  What's cool about this is that he came from the 'growers' and was virtually saved from a sure death (along with the 3 hens) at Tyson Foods!!  So now, Tyson's is minus 4 chicken breasts, 8 chicken legs, 8 wings, & 8 chicken thighs thanks to the heroic actions of my dear hubby.

5. Randy Godwin profile image92
    Randy Godwinposted 6 years ago

Everyone needs to visit a poultry farm.  Some chickens never learn to walk at all and couldn't run away if they left the door open. 

I'll bet most of the people in this country have never eaten a "yard" chicken in their life.  You wouldn't believe the difference in the taste of the birds or their eggs.

And don't get me started on swine and cattle production facilities!  mad

1. Shadesbreath profile image87
      Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Grew up on a cattle ranch. And yeah, the difference in flavor between a range animal and a feedlot ("fed") animal is enormous. Americans have NO idea what they eat. Not bagging on cattlemen either... they are good, honest, hard working farmers steeped in the agrarian history of our country. But what happens after, and during in the cases of SOME, is pretty crazy.

1. Cardisa profile image91
        Cardisaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Here in Jamaica, we do prefer home bred animals.

2. donotfear profile image91

You are right about his, Randy. This poor little guy cannot fly...I mean, chickens don't actually 'fly', per say, but when he jumps from our arms, he drops like a rock. Our other chickens, the Rhode Island Reds that were raised, can fly away from predators or get in a tree to roost if needed.  These poor chickys can't do that. They're doing good to get on the roosting rod in the chicken pen!

1. Randy Godwin profile image92
        Randy Godwinposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I know, Donotfear!  Many people would be horrified to see how chickens and other animals are raised in mass production facilities.

Pumped full of growth hormones, the chicks in these houses reach full growth in a matter of weeks.  They will be as much as ten times heavier than a yard chicken in the same amount of time.  They eat 24 hours a day with no darkness to prevent them from feeding.

And we wonder why kids and adults are so overweight these days.smile

6. SunSeven profile image63
    SunSevenposted 6 years ago

Are you sure you wanted to post this here?

Paul loves BBQ, you know?

Best Regards

7. donotfear profile image91

Isn't he adorable?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/fordonotfear/newpic050.jpg

The man or the chicken?  I'll take the dude anyday!

8. donotfear profile image91

(Now this is what I call a fun thread!!!!!)

working