With an uncertain future, would you want to live 200 yrs?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (38 posts)
  1. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 12 years ago

With humanity suffering as it is all over the planet and considering what the next 100 yrs might produce, would you want to live as part of an overcrowded and possibly undernourished population of humans?
    Think of the dangerous problems that will be encountered and the labor it may take to survive.
    Hmmm?
    Qwark

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

I know people in their 80s that don't particularly want to live to their 90s.
    Individual quality of life only.

1. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm approaching 70 and being the pessimist I am, I wouldn't want to live another 100 yrs.

QWark

3. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Hey Qwark, I see you continue the pessimistic side as usual.

Is the future actually uncertain? I don't think, but I am sure plenty of people might agree with you.

As for living until I am 200 years old? Sounds like fun. tongue smile

1. qwark profile image61

CAgs:
      Ok, I'll leave my next 100 in my will...lol
      I'm sure that when it's my turn, I'll be tired and ready. smile:
      Qwark

2. jacharless profile image76
      jacharlessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ray,
      I am actually in agreement with you on this.

What better way to shape the 'future' than by those who have experienced the past, its good and not-so-good.

smile
      James.

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey James, we don't agree on much, but once in a while isn't bad. tongue smile

3. mathsciguy profile image59
      mathsciguyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sweet mercy, man!
      Have you ever even seen a 100-year-old???  What part about being 200 sounds appealing to you?
      Now, if we're talking about living 200 years in a 20 year old body, then... well, that's a different story.

4. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I would sure sign up for extra years.  After all, if it gets unbearable there is a mechanism for "opting out" of life.

1. qwark profile image61

psyche: yep! The "Soylent Green" euthanasia would be fine!  smile:

Qwark

5. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 12 years ago

I usually manage to look on the black side of things, and do tend to have a depressive personality.  I complain about life, and everything that goes wrong in it.  Yet, if given the chance I would want to live to 200.  Given the chance, I would live forever, because no matter how dark life seems at times I think it is better than the alternative.  As I don't believe in an afterlife, I would rather this one life that I do have continues as long as it can, because I am not attracted to the idea of my future non-existence.

1. qwark profile image61

Sherlock:
      I'm gonna presume you are a young man...young is younger than me..,lol
      I'm not "old" but approaching 70 and I can tell ya that the longer ya live the less ya want to put up with this screwy world.
      And, it keeps shrinking! People become less tolerant and problems get worse.
      If you are bright and have travelled, there comes a time when ya say...jeez! Nothing excites me anymore! I've done just about everything and know about as much as anyone. It's beginning to get boring.
      I can understand that with failing health and old age approaching rapidly, why one might say: Ok, I've had enuf! I'm ready! lets get the hell outa here!
      I think approaching the end, the brain preps ya for the trip.
      I remember I used to think the way you do too.
      Good luck! smile
      QWark

6. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

Sure. It would at the very least be interesting, Quark.

How are you today?

1. qwark profile image61

Doin' great TM...thanks for asking..smile:
      You? smile:
      Qwark

1. TMMason profile image60
        TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Glad to hear it. I am also doing great.

1. qwark profile image61

Can't beat that answer..smile:

Qwark

7. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

Sure, why not. Human potential is only limited by our own minds.

8. knolyourself profile image61

Talked to a 84 year old woman last week. For her it was more 'been there done that' all getting old and not much new, which seem another aspect to the problem.

1. qwark profile image61

Knoly:
      I can see that comin' on.
      My life has been very full.
      There's nuthin' much that interests me anymore.
      If I wasn't into the gym and fishin', it'd be kinda boring.
      Qwark

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Qwark, I sometimes feel that way.  But I would like to:

sky dive
        learn to fly and own a plane
        visit the world
        scuba dive the great barrier reef
        Learn, and learn some more
        Go to space
        Helicopter ski the Bugaboo mountains

You are not much older than I - hard to believe that you've done all you would like to do.  I'm slowing down, but with renewed health and vigor there is little doubt I could and would find many many things to do.

So much depends on health and funding.

1. qwark profile image61

Hey Wilderness:
          Get out and do 'em!

I owned a 40 ft Rhodes rough water racing sailboat...sailed all over Calif coast out to the islands.

I'm a pilot who now flies ultralite aircraft,

I've commercial fished from CAlif to Alaska and down to Chile for "bigeye" tuna.

I've bicycled a helluva lot of Europe.

Was a commercial ocean diver...and have free dove just about everywhere but the middle east and China.

I've done 6 yrs of college, did gov't work. Owned rental properties for 25 yrs.

I worked at Disneyland and as a lifeguard at the Disneyland hotel in Anaheim.

I did a 4 yr stint in the USAF as a cryptographic machine mech.

I was the Maitre d'Hotel in a fine restaurant in La jolla Calif, I worked as a firefighter for the division of Forestry S Calif and fought forest fires...I was a competing body builder and power lifter...jesus! I could go on and on...lol

There's one thing I'm deathly afraid of and won't do it; jump from a perfectly good airplane once it's left the ground...oh ..and bungy (spelling) jump.

I hate the feeling of my gonads crawling deep up into my innards...lol

I've done so many more things that I haven't listed. It's hard to find sumthing new.

Anyway, now ya know a little more about why i'm gettin bored

Qwark

1. wilderness profile image96
            wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

While I would skydive (I'd have to - my son was in the 82nd airborne) you will not find me on the end of a rubber band hurtling to the ground.

I still submit that you have barely scratched the surface of human endeavors.

Visit the bottom of the ocean, 2 miles down.
            Go to the moon.
            Become a martian (I expect to see that in 130 years)
            Live as a mountain man - no other people - for a couple of years.
            Wrestle a wild alligator (Won't do that either, but know people that do).
            Write a book
            Sit in a judge's chair for a few years
            Take Obama's place

With some thought I bet I could fill a hundred pages.

The problem is that with age we (I) get tired and jaded - just not interested in much.  I still think with a new body and a fresh set of hormones that would change quickly.

1. qwark profile image61

Hahahaha....thanks for the suggestions Wild...smile:

I'm too damned old now to give a sh!t about doin' any of those things.

Ya'd have to be insane to want to be a politician.

I've seen enuf of the bottom of the ocean.

ain't nuthin' on mars that excites me....maybe that 3 breasted female in the bar on mars that "Ahnold" visited...lol
              I'm writing a book on my life. It'll be better'n 1000 pages long.

....and I worked with judges and state attorneys as a Federal Grant writer writing grants to get monies to keep deserving people out of jail.

I started and ran a jail school program for pre-trial detainees for the the Sheriff in Broward county Fla.

I taught hi school and was a guidance counselor for hi school kids...

I rode all over the USA, Canada and E. Europe on motorcycle.

...and I'm just beginning.

I'll quit here, unless ya like to hear my story about my trip to Chile on a 120 tuna schooner with a crew or Portuguese sailors...no, no I'll stop here..lol

Qwark

1. earnestshub profile image81
                earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A life well lived! smile

1. recommend1 profile image59
                  recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Aaaagh !  The boy has hardly started yet !!  He must just get bored easy big_smile

1. qwark profile image61

Recommend:

Yeh! Still a "boy" at heart but the "workins" are wearin' out! lol

Qwark

2. qwark profile image61

Given it a good shot Earn  smile:
                  Qwark

2. mathsciguy profile image59
              mathsciguyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I thought you listed "become a mountain."

I laughed.

2. recommend1 profile image59
        recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have the answer for your 'terminal' thinking - get married again with kids big_smile   

I am not so far behind you, I do the same gym and love fishing but it is my missus who changed my attitude to the end game.

1. qwark profile image61

Recommend:
          Married once to a show girl.
          Then lived with a couple great ladies for a couple yrs.
          I had enuf of women and dogs! lol I don't want either of them in my life any more. I have a fine "chocolate" skinned female "buddy" who is all I'd care to handle...lol
          But thanks for the thought.  smile:
          Qwark

9. knolyourself profile image61

They use to say 'the army is what you make it'. I myself could make it for a long time
    and am looking to the long haul assuming
    all systems hold. However for most people I would guess, there maybe not much new under the sun.

1. qwark profile image61

Oh, lol I'll make it.

When ya stop and think of it, I may have another 20 yrs...which whizzzzzzz's by.

Life is truly short.

if you lived 1000 yrs you'd look up from your death bed and you'd say: what'dya mean I'm dying! I JUST GOT HERE! DAMNIT!

Really, 100 yrs is a short haul!

Qwark

10. knolyourself profile image61

What ya fish for meaning kind of fish?

1. qwark profile image61

knoly:
      Everything!
      I love cold water ocean fishing best and the fish are tastier.
      I'm in Arkansas now waiting to fish a beautiful lake here but it's been so damned hot out...100 degrees and hi humidity...that ya fry out on the lake.
      I'm waiting for it to cool down a bit.
      I love striper fishin' and walleys up N.
      N Pike are a blast and big muskies up in Lake of the Woods Canada are a blast to catch.
      I caughtr a 400 lb strugeon last year just below the Bonneville dam in Portland Oregon.
      I'm a water nut...gotta be close to it.

Do you fish?

Qwark

11. knolyourself profile image61

Have the poles all the equipment. I really don't have time for it since all my outdoor time is walking 18 miles a week. Plus I can't afford the free senior citizen fishing license promised all my life. Only for the poor, but too be that poor you have to homeless. Talk to fishermen every day though where I walk.
    One of my friends out there tried to net a spawning carp, strictly illegal, but anyway, it tore the net right out of hand and he lost it. He loved telling that story.

1. qwark profile image61

knoly:
      I've shot alota carp in the lakes in Wisconsin.
      it's legal to dive and shoot 'em. They're considered a "trash fish."
      They are delicious smoked!
      Smokin' 'em softens the little bones and ya can chew 'em up with a nice cold brew!
      Qwark

12. Mikeydoes profile image44
    Mikeydoesposted 12 years ago

No, I'm a new generation and my generation(throughout the world) is going to be different than all previous generations. Our kids will only become smarter.

Assuming we don't keep heading down the path we are..

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree. You young ones are a lot smarter. smile

You will be amazed at how smart your children will be, because they will have access to more and better data.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)