jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

What is the etiquette for linking to another hubber's hub?

1. Victoria Lynn profile image91
    Victoria Lynnposted 6 years ago

If I find a related hub, should I ask if I can link their hub to mine? Of course, it would be mutually beneficial to both of us to be linked. Maybe we SHOULD contact the other hubbers so they will also link us to their hub, too?

1. homesteadbound profile image90
      homesteadboundposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I was going to post this exact same question in a few minutes.  I too wandered about the protocol.

2. Victoria Lynn profile image91
    Victoria Lynnposted 6 years ago

Awesome, homesteadbound! Then we'll wait for the answer together. There's so much to learn. I researched hubpages, read all kinds of stuff before joining--and am still trying to learn stuff. The important thing, I think, is to keep writing, keep reading and commenting, and keep asking questions! Maybe one day WE will be the experts. haha

That could be fun!

3. RedElf profile image85
    RedElfposted 6 years ago

Some people don't seem to mind, but most of us prefer to be asked first.

It is always best to ask - you can contact the hubber directly, or ask when you leave them a comment.

Some people will include a link in their own hub to another writer's hub(s) without asking, however, it is much better to let them know what you have done, as they MAY wish to include a link back to you on their own hub (which can be good for the traffic of both writers).

If in doubt - ask first.

Doesn't the linking tool make links without your knowledge?

4. Danette Watt profile image86
    Danette Wattposted 6 years ago

Across the top of each hub are 4 buttons: edit, stats, delete, suggest links. I haven't ever asked someone if I can link to their hub, since HP suggests hubs, I didn't ever think it would be a problem. And if someone wants to link to mine, really all the better because that means someone might jump over to my hub and give me a little traffic.

When investigating whether someone had written about what I wanted to write about, I found something that was related. The Linking tool did not suggest the hub, but I did do the connect myself. I noticed that the hubber was a newbie like me, so I did send her and email and told her what I did, and let her know that she might want to include a connect to my article to help both of us. But I do use the linking tool without even thinking about it. Trying to build up my HubKarma! But I like to make sure that it is a related link and not just something that sounds like it might be.

5. FloraBreenRobison profile image59
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 6 years ago

REd Elf-
    Thanks for the heads up. With the "suggested links" option, it never occured to me that this was an issue. I thought that linking another hubber's hub was a sign that you think highly of the hub and were not asking to have that person put a link of your own hub. In my hub on being here 2 months I had links to hubs of the people who helped  me a lot getting started as a way of saying thankyou.
    And sometimes I have started a hub because of something another hubber said and I want to give that person credit.

just a question: are there any times when a hubber doesn't want a link at all?

working