Someone Hacked My PayPal Account

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (25 posts)
  1. wordscribe43 profile image91
    wordscribe43posted 12 years ago

So I receive an email from PayPal today with a receipt for a payment to some Chinese electronics company by the name of DHgate.com in the amount of $313.50.  Okay... I didn't make this transaction.  I ONLY have a PayPal account for HP reasons. I also received an email stating my account has been limited until they hear from me.  So, I logged on and immediately changed my password.

I tried to change my bank account number associated with the PayPal account, but they won't let me since my account is "limited".  Anyway, I went straight to the resolution center and filed a complaint.

Man, $313.50 debited from someone's account could really be a disaster if the funds weren't there.

Anyway, has anyone had this happen to them?  Is PayPal good about resolving these unauthorized transactions?

I really don't need this cr*p right now.

1. maxravi profile image43
      maxraviposted 12 years agoin reply to this

well wordscribe43.. I heard a lot of cases like this.Paypal is good in resolution for cases like this.don't worry.just keep following with them.It will little time, but surely it will be resolved.

2. galleryofgrace profile image72
      galleryofgraceposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sure hope you didn't log on from the email! Unless you see the debit in the account- it was a scam , someone trying to get you to log in to paypal from the email.

3. profile image51
      SmithJeffreyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

4. CulinaryFool profile image59
      CulinaryFoolposted 12 years ago

You should call them immediately. And yes -- they have a Resolution Center that is pretty good about resolving these issues. They'll also be able to tell you what you need to do next.

5. wordscribe43 profile image91

Thanks, guys.  I didn't know there was an option to call them, however.  I guess I'll look into that since I feel very on edge right now.

This sucks.

6. LuisEGonzalez profile image76
      LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

This is a scam similar to other scams featuring Fedex, UPS and other carriers where you are told that your account needs to be updated or revised or has been compromised or severely limited.

Once you change it and input new passwords, the account is basically theirs. This is originating from Russia and some parts of China.

Paypal is very good at resolving issues, but keep in mind that you provided your information, albeit through a scam that looks quite good and easily passes for a real Paypal notification. hmm

wordscribe43posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was worried about that.  A while back I received a similar notice that my account was limited.  I refused to follow the links from the email and went directly to my PayPal account.  From THERE I changed my password and security questions.  So, I figured I was safe. 

PayPal is ON IT, though.  They've already emailed the seller and are waiting for a response from them.  So FAR the funds have not been debited from my account and I'm hoping they will never be.

I'd close the whole thing if I didn't have HP ads money coming in this month. 

Thanks for your response.  It's a scary world we live in.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image76
          LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If your funds have not been debited, then you are probably safe. The issue arises if the funds are debited and you notified Paypal afterward. cool

2. Glenn Stok profile image96
          Glenn Stokposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The funds were never debited from your account because it never really happened. Just as LuisEGonzalez said, this is a scam. 

The important thing that you did not indicate is... did you change your password by logging in via a link from THAT email?  Or did you log in by typing the URL in your browser?  If you never followed the link then you probably are safe. But if you clicked on the link in th email then you did not log on to PayPal. You logged on to a spoof site that looks just like it. Then when you changed your password you actually gave them your real password, which is still the same (unchanged) on your PayPal account. This gives them the ability to log in and withdraw all your money. 

Bottom line, no legitimate bank or valid institution will ask you to log in by clicking FROM the email. Never do that and you will always be safe.

For now, I would suggest you log in to PayPal directly and check to see which password works. Your prior one or the new one. And you'll know where you stand if you understood what I was saying..

Yes... I never followed the link from any email.  I know better!  I went straight to my PayPal account by typing it into my browser.

So, I don't know what happened, really.  You're right, the funds haven't been debited (thank goodness) and PayPal has been VERY responsive.  I'm not very worried at this point.  Thanks for the reassurance all.

1. galleryofgrace profile image72
              galleryofgraceposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Everyone should also remember to use the secure link: "https:" from the browser.

7. melbel profile image94
      melbelposted 12 years ago

PayPal is amazing about their resolution. In fact, I have written articles for someone in the past, sent them to the person and then they filed a PayPal thing saying they never received the articles. PayPal then refunded their money. This is why I have really strict rules about writing articles for people online these days... I get PayPal scammed like that.

That said, on the other side of things, before my ex-husband and I met, he had a situation JUST LIKE YOURS happen except the hacker used PayPal to empty out his bank account. PayPal fixed the situation and worked with his bank so that he wasn't charged an overdraft fee.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96

Melbel,  I have use two other credit card processing services in my 30 years of being in business.  Now I only use PayPal to accept credit cards. They have proven more than once to have an amazing resolution center.

Once I had a customer who disputed the charge with her bank, stating that her card was stolen. PayPal fought for me and won because I shipped to the address that PayPal verified to be the billing address for that card. So it was obvious that the same person who pays the card bill had received my product.  PayPal protects merchants as long as we ship to the verified billing address.

I used to sell software by download and in those cases I did not have proof of shipment, since it was downloaded. So as they state in their policy, I am not protected in those cases and I can understand that. This is the same as your situation selling writing services. The only solution in your case would be to mail the articles on disk to their billing address with a tracking number.

8. wordscribe43 profile image91

That's soooo good to hear, Melbel.  It's scary to think what could happen.  I'm so glad I caught it when I did!  I'm impressed they worked with his bank on the overdraft fees, too.  No doubt the scenario could have been a lot worse.

9. wordscribe43 profile image91

You know what dawns on me, actually.  The last PayPal update I made was directly through HubPages since the PayPal address associated with my account changed a while ago.  I changed all the information directly through the HP link. Hmmm....  I did that about a week ago because I'm going to get paid by HP's ad program.

wordscribe43, If you should ever follow a link from a trusted site such as HP you can still always assure yourself that you came to the real destination and not a spoof site by looking at the URL in your browser. It should show the URL of the site you are expecting and in the case of PayPal and other secure sites, it should show https:// in front of the URL. Note the "s" for secure. But I would still feel safer just using my own entry or bookmark.

10. wordscribe43 profile image91

I guess the lesson here is to NEVER go to PayPal indirectly, even through a trusted site like HP.

The funds have now been debited from my account and I'm fuming.  I am optimistic it will be resolved, but irritated nevertheless.

I thought you said that you didn't click on the link from the email. That's the only way they got your password.

No... I went directly from HUBPAGES, though.  Through the payment settings area...  PayPal says it could be from a virus.

I never went directly through an email.

You probably got a spyware virus that tracks your keystrokes and sent your password back to the hacker. Do you have a good antivirus and anti-spyware on your computer?  You should! And you should keep it up to date.

11. galleryofgrace profile image72
      galleryofgraceposted 12 years ago

You did it by  replying to the scam email. So, now you know better.

12. TLMinut profile image61
      TLMinutposted 12 years ago

A while ago, someone was on here asking everyone's personal information like what schools they went to. Another thread asked another question that are the type of questions you use for security set up on other sites. Hope it didn't come from that. I couldn't believe so many people answered and gave out all their info.

13. TLMinut profile image61
      TLMinutposted 12 years ago

Glenn, does it work to have a password written in a word doc program so when you go online, you can just cut and paste instead of typing it in? I can't think of why that wouldn't work but there could easily be something obvious I'm overlooking.

Here's what PayPal recommends:

"The PayPal Security Key is a device that generates a unique, random
        access code that you can use to access your account. The PayPal Security
        Key adds an extra layer of security because the code is always changing.
        You can use it from home, work, your mobile phone, or a public computer.
        In addition, the Security Key works with any computer operating system
        and web browser that can access websites affiliated with VeriSign
        Identity Protection (VIP), it works with PayPal and EBay".

You can order up to 5 security keys at the same time.

2. Glenn Stok profile image96

TLMinut, I don't recommend keeping your passwords in a word doc file or any unencrypted file. You never know if you have a virus that will read those and send back to home base.  Look for a password program that save all your passwords encrypted.  I use one and I copy and paste from that. I also use a different password for each site. Just in case one of them gets hacked and my password gets stolen.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)