Someone has hacked into my Paypal account. Anyone had that problem?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (24 posts)
  1. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 12 years ago

It had no Hubpage money in it , but I froze my personal checking account associated with Paypal. I sm receivng emails, I believe, from a Paypal fraud site and also Paypal.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I would have figured that PayPal would have fixed this problem. It isn't new, because it's been done before. The question is...How did you know it was hacked, if you didn't have money in it?

Did PayPal tell you it was hacked? It is an excuse PayPal has used in the past(true or not) for lost funds from accounts. hmm

brakel2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

The real Paypal told me about the problem. I had a little money in it from eHow I also got an email from someone who supposedly put money in it for me, someone I never heard of, accompenid by a paypal letter?? confirming her deposit. Then someone had me change my password and security questions (the real Paypal I believe) I now have limited access to my account as it is under investigation.. I believe that the person was after my checking account. I am aware of all the past problems, unfortunately..

Be sure to log into PayPal with https://paypal.com. Ehow has an article about how to know if you are at the legitimate PayPal website  http://www.ehow.com/how_2003340_genuine … site.html. Important!  Do not click to the site from an email.

1. IzzyM profile image86
          IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am surprised at any hubber promoting an ehow link here.

I was trying to help others avoid problems. Sorry!

I posted on here as a warning, and the link was a warning.

2. WryLilt profile image87
        WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So they sent you an email asking you to change your details? Did you ever think that may have been a phishing scam to GET your details? You can never be too careful. If I get an email like that I don't click, I go directly to the site.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That was probably a scam - was there a link in the email so you could check your balance or anything?

I assume they sent you an email?  Did the email ask you to click on a link in the email to change your password and questions?  If it did, it was a scammer. 

It's a lesson - if you ever get an email from a bank or finance company asking you to click on a link to do anything, don't do it.  Instead, open the site in a new window and log in separately.

I did not click on the link. I have no idea how this all happened. It is real scary. I did open the email, however as it was identified as from PayPal. I had no idea there was a fraudulent Paypal site. I am computer savy but not this time. After ,I got email from Paypal telling me to change my info as my account was compromised. I went to the legitimate site.

1. Edwin Clark profile image61
            Edwin Clarkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Did the email start with "Dear PayPal User" or something to that effect or did it state the name on your PayPal account? If it started with "Dear" then it's a scam.

It stated the name on my paypal account. I have investigated and know that it is a scam. a very sophisticated scam. I wish someone would get them. My letter was from the fake site, and someone hacked into the real paypal to get my information. The fake IP address is even wrong. How clever can you get? I wish I had the money to do something about it, as people are losing a lot of money. unless they have credit card protection and bank protection and they catch it in time. Internet fraud is becoming gigantic. I will never accept a Paypal email again.

1. Annie Wright profile image82
                Annie Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You can file a report with IC3.gov unit at the government site for free. I just done an article about internet scams and they are much better at scamming people. Watch for links that have the site name but the .com is c.om a new trick to scam people( may also appear as co.m).

1. WryLilt profile image87
                  WryLiltposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Why'd you bump a 4 year old thread?

3. Richieb799 profile image76
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

I once read about PayPal hackers who had a complex system of intercepting msn's inbound emails from Paypal and they would obtain passwords. Might be safer to switch to Gmail

1. Aficionada profile image78
      Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Does that mean that the hackers do not yet know how to intercept Gmail's inbound emails from PayPal? - Or do you simply mean that it's a good time to change email service to anything else?

4. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

I've gotten to the point of not clicking on any links from some supposedly paying me through Paypal and open a new window to check.
    i get so many fake Paypal emails..yikes

5. Eileen Hughes profile image62
    Eileen Hughesposted 12 years ago

I have had my paypal account limited now too.
    I was away traveling for 3-4 months and did not use it during that time.

It was only after returning that I found the problem when I went to buy something through them and could not do it due to limited use.

Evidently someone put money in there (dont know for what reason)  I have his name and email address)

But in trying to sort it out I have rung pp and both times get computer gen messages do this do that give phone no etc

Have sent two emails.  And tried to respond and each time I put the Transaction no in it says not correct.

So ended up sending the person an email.  As I thought he may have made a mistake and put a wrong digit in so it went to my account instead of someone elses.   All this is done through Paypal site itself.  Had no reply from anyone.  But all I get when I log in is that they want me to change my password.  did that a few times and still happening.  Even talked to kitty on chat and that was useless to.   Pain in the but.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

If you read the original post, she says "I also got an email from someone who supposedly put money in it for me, someone I never heard of, accompenid by a paypal letter?? confirming her deposit."

Is that what happened to you?  If so, it was a very bad idea to send them an email, because it was a scam and now they know who you are.  If you've got your bank account or credit card linked to your Paypal, they could be at risk.

Did you read this and follow all the steps:

https://www.paypal.com/helpcenter/main. … p&m=BT

1. Eileen Hughes profile image62
        Eileen Hughesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No when I got back and found this problem there actually was an amount put into my bank,  but cannot activate the respond on paypal when I put the no in it says not recognised.

And paypal said on phone when talking to the computer gen questions that there was no claim on my account.  so I dont know will wait and see what happens.
        I have notified paypal so will see what happens.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

Eileen, you know what these sites are like - if you don't follow their instructions to the letter, they often do nothing, even if you notified them.

So I hope you followed the instructions in the link.

Thanks for all your help on this Paypal problem.

2. brakel2 profile image73

Eileen     You can talk to a real person if you say you cannot answer some of the questions or you can't hear well. I talked to a man named Ed after the computer person gave up on me. My problem is resolved, but they gave me some info that makes no sense. I had an email from a person just like you did.

1. Greg Sage profile image40
            Greg Sageposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, but I had my google account hacked.  Malware sent to everyone in my contact list.  Researched it for days.  Best I can figure is that a bot hacked the password.  Created a more secure one, and no issues since.

Paypal is a common phishing target... My gf got phished by a fake facebook site this year as well.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)