Why was my hub flagged as DUPLICATE and unpublished?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (23 posts)
  1. rbe0 profile image60
    rbe0posted 12 years ago

I awoke today to find that my 100% original work entitled, "A Forever Expanding Circle as an Analogy for Existence" was marked as DUPLICATE and had subsequently been UNPUBLISHED by hubpages.

Is this because I also linked the contents of my 100% original article on another website (of all places, a simple messageboard/forum that discusses philosophy and science).

If this is the reason they took it down, why would hubpages do this? Do I not have the right to post my articles however many times wherever I desire on the internet? If I do not have that right, what happens if other people copy the contents of my articles word for word for use in news reporting services that exist in millions of places on the web? Is my article going to be taken down because it is not original work in that case as well?

I guess someone at hubpages googled the article name and found it existed on a different philosophy/science messageboard forum because I posted it there too?

-------------------------------

Also I just want to say that me having to make a forum thread here in the Need Help? Ask Here. forum is rediculous and could have been avoided incredibly easily.

How could I have avoided having to post asking for help here? If whoever working at hubpages who struck down my 100% original work of writing as being a duplicate had take 5 seconds to write me a small message entailing WHY they had struck down my ORIGINAL work for being NON ORIGINAL.

Instead they just categorized the reasoning with incredibly vague details that admittedly left me a bit upset, VERY CONFUSED, and bordering on anger.

The article that was 100% original work done by me, but hubpages.com struck it down as not being original work: http://hubpages.com/t/2bd4ba

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sadly after Google changed its algorithm, HP has become very strict on duplicate content. There's no real advantage to having a duplicate article listed on multiple sites as generally Google will filter out most copies.

What you can do is to rewrite the article, or write a 300-500 summary and then provide a link to the original posting. Alternatively - if you delete the article from the forum, wait a day or two for it to be indexed, you can then publish it on HP.

1. rbe0 profile image60
        rbe0posted 12 years agoin reply to this

To me it is sad that HubPages allows Google, the mighty moderator of all things internet, to determine how they do business. Why would you allow Google to change your approach to business when Googles reasoning is faulty and flawed? Just because Google has made a huge mistake in how they are operating things doesn't mean HubPages has to follow suit.

1. SimeyC profile image88
          SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well when it costs you millions in revenue, yes it does. The problem for HP and many writers was that certain problems occurred where previously highly ranking article no longer ranked on Google and therefore never were 'spotted' in a search - thus revenue would decrease.

As Google focuses on 'quality' then HP changed quite a few things so that quality was enhanced - one of these elements was not allowing content to be a copy of an article publsihed elsewhere.

HP is a business, and sadly part of this business is driven by Google - so HP have to change things to ensure they stay in business...

2. capricornrising profile image61
      capricornrisingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If I understand you, you did NOT publish the article elsewhere - you only created a link to it from elsewhere - yes? I don't believe there's anything wrong with that. Hubbers are encouraged to share their hubs offline - there are "share" links at the bottom of every hub.

Did you also include a quote from your hub? That could be problematic - though even this is questionable as an issue.

I do recommend you contact HP staff directly. They've actually answered me when I take the time to write them. It took several days, but I got an answer. A convoluted, confused, right-hand-doesn't-know-what-the-left-is-doing answer, but I was able to have a many-email exchange with them. Your experience might turn out differently than mine.

1. capricornrising profile image61

Oh never mind - I found the site where you admit to having published the whole article there at the same time. Yeah - you can't do that. But you can use a link to lead people to your hub.

2. rbe0 profile image60

Deleted

1. rbe0 profile image60

Oh yeah And i sent in an email to hubpages explaining what happened and i took down the copy of my work at the forums. Hopefully hubpages resolves this misunderstanding soon.

2. Pcunix profile image91
          Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are misunderstanding.  It's Google that doesn't like duplicate content, and with very good reason.  Do you like finding a 100 versions of the same thing when you are researching some subject?

Google doesn't like it and therefore HP doesn't like it.  That simple.

3. capricornrising profile image61

Use HP to edit your article, and link back to it on a post elsewhere that updates people about your having made edits. Then you're driving traffic to your hub. Win-win.

3. Hyphenbird profile image82
      Hyphenbirdposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You wrote: "Also I just want to say that me having to make a forum thread here in the Need Help? Ask Here. forum is rediculous and could have been avoided incredibly easily."

Indeed it could have been avoided if you had read the Terms of Service and Learning Center before publishing Hubs. I am not being mean, just saying the first thing a person should do, actually before joining a site, is to know the rules. One of the rules here is that all content is original and exclusive to HubPages.
      Please read the Learning Center and your stay here can be very rewarding as well as lucrative.

2. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

Unfortuantley if you have the same article elsewhere - HubPages take on what is duplicate includes your own work published elsewhere on the internet.

This is from the Learning Center which can be accessed at the foot of the page, there is also a FAQ (called help) at the top of the page.

Welcome and I hope you can soon fix the hub that has been unpublished.

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Mode … te-Content

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Hubpages makes no distinction about what is original.  If a large part of the text appears at a url other than your hub url, it is duplicate.

4. psycheskinner profile image83

When the vast majority of their, and our, money comes from Google.

5. rbe0 profile image60
    rbe0posted 12 years ago

Hmm I am starting to agree that this does make sense requiring hubpages to be the first place to post an article online at. Google will list only the first website that submits an original work of writing to thier search engine, thus limiting plagiarism, and preventing websites that steal or scrape hubs (as one post i read called it) from profitting at the work of others.

Now hopefully hubpages can just help me where i screwed up.

6. psycheskinner profile image83

Hubpages requires that they are the *only* place you post the article. Those are the rules, if you don't like them, don't post here. Running around calling the hubstaff Nazi's isn't acheiving anything.

As you well know you also posted full article, not just a link, here: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showfla … r/15513475

1. rbe0 profile image60

Whoa I never called no one a Nazi!! Don't blow this outta proportion. I did post the article there I'm not trying to hide anything. I also removed the article from there and asked the HubPages staff to assist me because I made a mistake. They did assist me and my article has now been posted back up to HubPages. Thanks to the folks at HubPages for helping a noob out, now I just hope I didn't totally ruin my article by preventing Google from properly indexing it. I put a lot of thought into it. I have it linked on the first post on this thread if anyones interested.

1. Pcunix profile image91
        Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Any "ruination" will sort itself out over time.  Don't worry about it.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showfla … /15513475: "View my article which was titled something similar to Circle analogy for expanding universes, but I am unwilling to write the exact title of the article for fear that the HubPages Article Nazi's will not allow me to publish it."

Article whats now?

1. rbe0 profile image60

I didn't deny anything??? I also didn't edit anything?? What do you think I editted?? Please post before and after images of this alleged screen capture. Unless it is a screen capture of one of my Hubs I really doubt I have editted anything.

By the way, what is it a screen capture of?

1. psycheskinner profile image83
            psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I assumed you had deleted it, but no.  You just seem very illogical.

"Whoa I never called no one a Nazi!"

Yes you did. Which wasn't nice, but time to move on. I was just trying to say that when you are the one who made the mistake, just work it out and get on with hubbing.  Don't insult people off site for no good reason.

1. rbe0 profile image60

I totally forgot about that. I must have been angry. Sometimes I just get so passionate about my writing. What can ya do?

For the record I didn't call them Nazi's I called them Article Nazi's. Big difference!! lol.

If you think I am illogical, can you point out any flaws in my argument described in the post linked at the very top of this thread? If you can i would appreciate it. No one has been able to help me thus far.

7. psycheskinner profile image83

Just move on. These things happen.

1. rbe0 profile image60

<3

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)