Please help me decode the mystery that is SEO?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Doctor Kristy profile image88
    Doctor Kristyposted 12 years ago

Hi there!

I want my hubs to be better found by search engines, and to learn about keywords etc to use. I know that there is a lot of information out there on this. To be honest, I get a bit overwhelmed by it all, and was hoping someone could help to point me in the right direction?

Most of my hubs are getting no views (or less than 10) per day.

I was also wondering if someone could please take a look at some of my worst performing hubs ( http://doctorkristy.hubpages.com/hub/Sa … -Melbourne or http://doctorkristy.hubpages.com/hub/Sc … nformation ) and tell me what I could change or add to make it get more search engine views, so that I can get the hang of things?

thanks for reading!

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I had a look at the two hubs you showed here.

The first one was about a dog beach in Melbourne. Keyword placement and everything is fine; it is just not a highly search term.

Having said that, you should have shown up higher than #29 for those keywords.

I did notice you have no backlinks, not even internal ones, so the way round that is to write some more hubs around the subject and interlink them.

You have also missed out writing the words 'dog beach Melbourne' in you summary, if you have one. 'doggie beach' is an even lower search term, but as the letters D.O.G are in there, they'll still count toward dog beach, which only gets 62 exact match searches per day, and there is a site called dogbeach.org which is almost guaranteed top position anyway.

Schizophrenia is hugely competitive. All the sites on page 1 are just too big and powerful.

I didn't find your hub in the first 100 of search, but it is a well-written and well-presented hub. I would bold your subheadings where you list the different types of delusions. Not only is it easier on the eye, it helps the SEO of the page.

Then I noticed that you have Schizophrenia overview in the title, and schizophrenia information in the url.

It may help you if they are the same, so you might want to consider changing your title to add in the word information. Maybe schizophrenia information: an overview?

You also seem to have missed out a summary on this one too. Please add one in, it can make a huge difference, and remember to use your main keywords that are in the title and url.

I don't know if this is your speciality or not, but you will greatly strengthen whatever hubs you have by writing more round similar topics and interlinking them.

Whether you use rss, or the links capsule, or even better, in-word hyperlinks (Google likes those apparently), group all your related hubs together and any new ones you add with further help.

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

"Please help me decode the mystery that is SEO?"

Frankly, my dear. I've given up on that. smile

3. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

SEO and keyword selection is far less complicated then most make it out to be.

Primarily, you will have to distinguish between On-Page (factors you can integrate into your hub or site) and Off-page (backlinks, anchor text of backlinks, where backlinks come from etc)

ON PAGE isnt much more then properly categorizing and describing your hub using the guidelines set forth for you by the search engines themselves.

OFF Page is much more contentious and incorporates, natural and self created backlinks, social media, etc.

keyword selection not so complicated either .. but what makes for "good keyword selection" is based very much on your motives . Making sales should involve a focus on terms that suggest "buyer intent" .. getting lots of eyes on a page should focus on keyword terms (using free or cheap online tools) that show a high rate of search but a lower level of competition in the SERP's (search engine result placement)

Ive tried to outline a basic primer of such things here:

http://sunforged.hubpages.com/hub/How-t … ing-online

Peter Hoggan here at  Hubpages has an excellent primer series on SEO

This thread has a bunch of hubber selected resources on keywords/seo

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/50158?page=2

and off of hubpages ..this seomoz guide is always excellent

http://www.seomoz.org/article/search-ranking-factors

its based off a survey done of professional SEO's

and Bruce Clay does one each year also

4. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Well, now. This is the first thread I have bookmarked in a long, long time... Frankly, I have been seriously considering just throwing in the towel. But between this thread and something pcunix wrote, maybe not just yet.

1. homesteadbound profile image81
      homesteadboundposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We would miss you, paradigmsearch!

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

My advice?  Sunforged is Tha Man for this subject.  Transmission over.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
      mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agreed, what Josh (Sunforged) doesn't know about SEO isn't worth knowing.

6. Doctor Kristy profile image88
    Doctor Kristyposted 12 years ago

Great, thank you all for your replies!

I've read through your advice and taken it all on board. Changed the titles and am now working on summaries for all of my hubs. I hadn't realized the summaries made that much of a difference, so to be honest I have only done it for maybe one or two hubs (shame).

After that, I'll read the hubs Sunforged linked to and hopefully in a month or something I'll see some improvement!

Thanks again!!!!

7. InduswebiTech profile image61
    InduswebiTechposted 12 years ago

why dont you try to use add ons on your browser it would definately help you...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)