jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (22 posts)

Screen Shot

1. American_Choices profile image84
    American_Choicesposted 5 years ago

I need to capture my desktop tabs on a screen shot for an upcoming hub. How can I take a shot of my screen other than a video. A video would be easier for me. Pros and cons of a screen shot verses a video? Or should I have both for the reader?

1. kschang profile image87
      kschangposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If you use Chrome, there's "Ultimate Screenshot", which even lets you annotate and blur and arrow bits before you save it.

If you use IE or Firefox, there's always Gadwin Printscreen, which you can then edit in Paint or such.

1. Pcunix profile image88
        Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

"Ultimate Screenshot" sounds a bit like Skitch.  Thanks!

See this:  http://www.screenpresso.com/

2. Rosie2010 profile image75
      Rosie2010posted 5 years ago in reply to this

shameless self- promotion here... I wrote a hub on how to use Windows Snipping Tool big_smile  Snipping tool is so easy to use and captures your screen in  one click.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6020317_f248.jpg

3. Cardisa profile image92
      Cardisaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The easiest way I know is to use your keyboard printscreen key. Just press the "PrtSc" key and it will copy the screen. Then open your paint or graphics manager and paste, then save your photo and upload.

2. Pcunix profile image88
    Pcunixposted 5 years ago

On Mac, I use Skitch - much, much better than the built in screen capture.

Skitch didn't support Windows last I looked.  For a "user friendly" OS, Windows has had really awful screen capture in the past. You press PRT-SCRN, which appears to do nothing. You then have to open a program like Microsoft Paint, hit CTRL-V to paste in the shot, and then you can do whatever you want with it.

Vista and Win 7 have "Snipping Tool", which is supposedly much better (but I've never used it).

Probably somewhere there is something for Windows as good as Skitch, but I have not seen it yet.

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
      couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I love you people when you're in your element.  Where is snipping tool in Vista?

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
          couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks.

2. capricornrising profile image60
      capricornrisingposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Pcunix - What do you like more about Skitch than the native function? Does it by some chance photograph the entire webpage, including the browser?

You can capture windows, whole screens, do timed captures, annotate, add arrows, erase and retouch, easily expand or shrink, save in other formats.. if you have Mac, I highly recommend it.  The built-in function just snaps to a file, nothing more.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

What I do is press "print screen" and paste it into Paint.

1. capricornrising profile image60

Unfortunately, the print function only captures the page, not the browser. Sometimes I need to show the URL for the page I'm on, when I'm troubleshooting in a forum, for example.

Yes and that's just one of the reasons why I said the built-in function is atrocious.  Use a third party utility.

Of course if y'all realized how atrocious ALL of Windows is, you'd be using Macs and you would have already downloaded Skitch and would be happy smile

1. capricornrising profile image60

Mac's snapshot function (Command+Shift+3) works to capture the browser as well as the page, though, and the resulting image looks good. I still need to capture the whole website though, without having to take multiple snapshots and cut/paste. :-)

Skitch.

You will love it.

2. Pcunix profile image88

Oh, also : when I need to capture a screen in the Dumb Operating System made by Microsoft, I  run VNC on it, access it from my Mac, and use Skitch..

1. RedElf profile image86
              RedElfposted 5 years ago in reply to this

clever boots cool

2. capricornrising profile image60

By the way, I'm an Apple Girl for life. :-)

Smart girl smile

4. skear profile image89
    skearposted 5 years ago

I also use the Print Screen key because it's quick and easy to use.

Alt+print screen will only capture the active window which reduces the need to crop the image.

5. American_Choices profile image84
    American_Choicesposted 5 years ago

Wow - a world of help. This is awesome! Thank you all very much!

working