Help with Stolen Hub

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (17 posts)
  1. ktrapp profile image91
    ktrappposted 12 years ago

I realized today that one of my hubs has been copied and re-published on two different websites.

I was looking at my Google Analytics and noticed someone had searched on a complete sentence or two from one of my hubs. When I searched the sentence on Google myself I saw the other websites that copied by hub word-for-word. I also checked it in copyscape and those two websites came up there, as well.

This is what I have done so far:

(1) I have sent a DCMA complaint email to both websites(friendskorner.com and oyepakistan.com). I looked up both website contacts in Whois database since both websites only had contact forms, not email addresses and got the site owners' email addresses that way.

(2) I filed a copyright infringement complaint with Google for both websites.

Is there anything else I should do?

Does anyone know a more systematic way of checking our hubs for copyright infringement? It seems crazy to just randomly run URLs through copyscape or similar tools. And this has been such an incredible waste of my time today.

1. profile image0
      Aunt Mollieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is being discussed on this forum thread:
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/88738?p … ost1939069

2. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 12 years ago

There are probably services which offer to check for you if you don't mind paying their fee hmm maybe more experienced HP authors may have better suggestions or ideas, sorry I'm not much help. smile

3. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 12 years ago

Sorry that happened to you - I've had it happen to me too with my website content.  One woman even stole the entire content of my homepage and tried to pass herself off as me on an "Experts" website.  It's very frustrating and I totally feel for you.

The Cease and Desist and report to Google are both good steps.  You can also find out who their webhost is if they are not compliant via the whois search and take your complaint directly to their webhost who may drop them. 

You have an easier time of this with sites that are US based.  Unfortunately the copyright laws are more difficult to enforce with foreign websites and they know it - that's why they behave this way.

I do run copyscape on my content periodically, particularly if I notice a traffic drop etc.  I also know you can pay for services that monitor your content for you.  I have not opted to do this yet, but as my portfolio of websites and articles gets too large to manage will consider doing so. 

I'm definitely following this forum topic too to see if anyone has other ideas for this.

ktrappposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Christin. One of the site's registrants (friendskorner - what a misnomer that is) is in New Jersey, but I think he might be hosting the site himself.

The second site's registrant (oyepakistan) is in Pakistan but it looks like the host's servers are in the UK.

It is sickening. One of them has had 30 replies to MY content. The hub of mine in question was getting quite a bit of traffic from stumbleupon. I didn't think much of it when the stumbleupon traffic went away, since that is sort of how that works, but now I notice that the timing of my traffic loss is about the same time my hub was copied.

Thanks for all your helpful information!

4. Howard S. profile image90
    Howard S.posted 12 years ago

The hubber Edweirdo wrote an extremely helpful program that either runs a check like Copyscape or monitors periodically and notifies you whenever something has been copied. He offered it free on a limited basis or for something like $5 per month if you had more than 50 hubs or so. He ported it to at least three browsers. I never got a chance to use it before he stopped hosting the service.

What happened was that many power users left HubPages at a point when HubPages was still casting about for a solution to Panda. It was fees from those power users that had been supporting his server fees. It became uneconomical for him to continue, so he pulled the plug.

I would dearly like to see his service resurrected, by him or by someone else buying the rights from him. At some point in time--perhaps already--hubbers wanting such a service will reach critical mass again. Changing the fee structure might help, too. Either increasing the fee or adding a third tier. Free entry level would have to remain. Edwierdo is not easy to contact--I think he has email turned off. I tried communicating all this to him through a comment on his personal website, but never heard anything.

HOWARD!!! I'm so glad to hear from you. I was actually thinking about emailing you this week to see if all is ok since you dropped off the face of the earth, or the face of HubPages anyway, for a couple months.

And it is this kind of valuable advice of yours that I have missed. Edweirdo had a great idea and it really is too bad that some of those "power" hubbers didn't stick around to wait out the Panda storm. Anyway, my husband is a programmer, and I think I am going to ask him about running some sort of automatic utility that compares the content of submitted URLs against the web on some sort of periodic basis. I am not sure if he would have time, but it would be such a valuable tool.

It's good to see you back.

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

Everything you need is right here:

http://support.google.com/bin/static.py … page=ts.cs

Oh sorry, didn't see that you'd already done that.  Google will get back to you.

I never check for stolen stuff, but folks tend to tell me about it when mine are stolen.  Last time I had an issue it was taken care of within just thirty hours, and Google mailed me to let me know.

I'm told it can take two weeks sometimes though.

6. Howard S. profile image90
    Howard S.posted 12 years ago

HP will flag duplicated content, but it's obvious that they either don't catch it all or that it takes quite awhile for them to recrawl content that previously passed OK. I don't want to waste time looking for trouble unless I know it's there.

As to my absence: at this point, I'm completely unmotivated to spend time on HP until Google stops jerking me around. They like me for a week or two and then dislike me for a week or two. By dislike, I mean that I got 9 pageviews in the past 24 hrs total for all hubs. The last time they liked me was for 5 days. I need stability before I know what to improve, and I need an audience before I'll write more. My wife's account has not seen this effect, so I may just spend time with SEO and editing of her hubs.

7. ktrapp profile image91

Here's an update on my stolen hub situation.

- Google removed the two offending websites from their search results after I filed a DMCA complaint. This happened in less than 48 hours.

- Both websites removed my content after I emailed a DMCA complaint to the admin. contacts that I got from the whois database. This took several days.

- The traffic to my hub has at least tripled and the hub has moved up to the first position in Google results.

8. BakingBread-101 profile image60
    BakingBread-101posted 12 years ago

There is a company called Tynt that I used on my website; however, I do not know if it works for hub pages.

9. imatellmuva profile image76
    imatellmuvaposted 12 years ago

The same thing happened to one of my hubs with an author at Wordpress. I filed the DMCA report with them, and opted not to send an email request directly to the author as suggested at the Wordpress site.

I considered that if this person had the audacity to spin my hub as his own, what would he do once he had my email address.

The spinned article and the author was gone within hours. As suggested by a fellow hubber, I started using Google Alerts. It allows you to enter context from your hubs. You will receive alerts if there is any duplication of content.

Select a statement or verse that will unlikely be duplicated. I hope this helps.

Believe me, I thought long and hard about sending a complaint via email to the sites that copied my hub. I actually did not send the email directly to the author, though, but sent it to the admin of the domain. I guess that would be the equivalent of you filing it with Wordpress and not the author.

I am just glad it is resolved. But it really is maddening.

I just took a look at Google alerts. That is a really interesting idea. It doesn't look like finding copies of web content is its intended purpose, but it seems like a good idea. Thanks for letting me know about this. I am going to give it a try.

10. Richieb799 profile image77
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

I had this problem over Christmas, if you have emailed the site owners give them time to respond(24hours), they might see it and be worried and take it down quickly.  If you have already filed DMCA compliants with the Hosting Providers that is good as well, don't wait for a response from the site owner.

My problem was over in 1-2 days because the site owner emailed back with an apology, maybe he was worried when his hosting company emailed him... smile

11. profile image0
    Aunt Mollieposted 12 years ago

Here's a Hub that was just published about everything to do if your content is stolen.  It includes all of the contact information you need:
    http://writerfox.hubpages.com/hub/Content-Theft

That is an excellent hub. Thanks for sharing the link.

12. ktrapp profile image91

I was just looking at the stats for my stolen hub that is now no longer copied anywhere and traffic has more than quadrupled since the copies were removed from the two sites and from google results.

This graph illustrates why copied content is so bad!

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6053348_f248.jpg

The tan traffic represents a lot of traffic I got from Stumbleupon (not high quality traffic though). Right when the Stumbleupon traffic ends dramatically is about the exact time I can see my hub was posted on two other websites. I have no idea if this is a cause and effect relationship or just coincidence.

I didn't know it was copied for some time and just figured the hub dropped off Stumbleupon as happens. It still got traffic from Google every day, but the dramatic increase in Google traffic (red) only occurs right after the offenders were removed from Google and both offenders deleted MY content from their websites.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)