Stolen articles. I feel like giving up.

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (43 posts)
  1. poppyr profile image93
    poppyrposted 19 months ago

Hi everyone. I've been writing for HubPages for several years now and enjoyed some success. But the copied articles are getting out of hand. Pretty much all my top earners have that little copyright claim red circle beside them. Recently one of my top earners was pasted into a forum and has cut my traffic by 70%. I tried reporting it, but the admins haven't taken it down.

It takes a long time to get even one article removed. A few months ago I had to contact a website directly about a hamster care article that had been stolen. It took so much back and forth and me having to prove I wrote it first before they finally took it down. But my articles are on fifty or more websites now and I simply don't have time to commit hours and hours to getting them removed.

It really makes me want to cry. I want to give up. Now I've taken another dip in earnings because lazy a**holes want to plagiarize my hard work. It's so lazy and petty.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image69
      Miebakagh57posted 19 months agoin reply to this

Poppyr, I'm so sorry that one of your top earning articles are again stolen.                                                 It's an online world. Good and bad things happen. Google, I've noted is perfecting a solution for this plagiarise challenge.                                        In the meantime, it could strick a chord if you report to Google, all your predicaments. Once again, sorry.

2. chef-de-jour profile image96
      chef-de-jourposted 19 months agoin reply to this

I know, it's frustrating and annoying but it's part of the writing life online. There'll always be cheats and ignoramuses. I sometimes use Google's DMCA form. If you've used it in the past you'll know all about it. You can list multiple offending URLs.   

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools … B&rd=1

1. chef-de-jour profile image96
        chef-de-jourposted 19 months agoin reply to this

There's some good advice from Eugene and others in reply. Best of luck.

2. poppyr profile image93
        poppyrposted 19 months agoin reply to this

Thank you so much, this is great!

3. TessSchlesinger profile image60
      TessSchlesingerposted 19 months agoin reply to this

I doubt your dip in earnings comes from your writing being pinched. My writing gets pinched all the time. It has never affected my earnings. I think that's because when Google indexes, it gives the earliest article highest rank.

1. poppyr profile image93
        poppyrposted 19 months agoin reply to this

Good for you. The guy posted the guide on Steam, a gaming platform for PC gamers, so people would likely find it first before Googling the quest.

1. Kain 360 profile image91
          Kain 360posted 19 months agoin reply to this

Same thing has happened to me.

4. Misbah786 profile image85
      Misbah786posted 19 months agoin reply to this

I am really sorry, poppyr. Sadly, It is something we, as online writers, must deal with. Never give up. It's your work, and you own it. Every struggle you did in getting your content removed from other websites was worthwhile. Like Kenna, I also hope HP or Google can find a solution to this problem.

Best wishes and Blessings! smile

5. Matt Wells profile imageSTAFF
      Matt Wellsposted 19 months agoin reply to this

You can file DMCA complaints with Google search. It won't get the article unpublished, but it will be removed from their search engine. It's easier and quicker. Please visit the FAQ for instructions.

6. SportBettingBTC profile image60
      SportBettingBTCposted 19 months agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. theraggededge profile image95
        theraggededgeposted 19 months agoin reply to this

You should read the Terms of Use of this site.

7. Arensshi profile image93
      Arensshiposted 19 months agoin reply to this

Mine too and I dunno what to do

2. Ryan Cornelius profile image81
    Ryan Corneliusposted 19 months ago

It comes with online. Happens frequently online. If they copy your articles consider them watching you. You maybe offered a paying position

3. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 19 months ago

I am so sorry for your struggles with others stealing your articles. I hope HP or Google can come up with a solution to this problem.

4. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 19 months ago

I know the feeling, most of mine have red circles too. If you at least file a DMCA report with Google, it'll take articles out of search results, even if they can still be accessed using Bing or other search engines or directly using the URL. Usually Google approve reports quickly, but occasionally their dim wit agents or AI can't find the copied text, so it's important to give them a string of text from the start of the copied content, in the description.

5. alexadry profile image95
    alexadryposted 19 months ago

It's getting worse. It looks like there's some software now that steals a couple of sentences from a variety of websites and puts them all together. I know of a guy that has created a whole website on dogs this way.

His website shows up very often in Google search queries, and I took a look at his profile and then a look at his sitemaps to discover that this guy has like over 10,000 articles written in a relatively short time. I was thinking how can this guy churn all this content like this, it's impossible, unless he has 10 clones out there! 

This obviously raised my suspicion, so I Googled several sentences and it turns out they are stolen from a variety of websites including Quora.

Funny thing is that there is a page on his website where it says that if you find your content on his website to contact him.

The scary thing is that Google thinks his content is awesome and is ranking him well. Doesn't seem to be penalizing him at all. Maybe it's not picking it because it's just a few sentences here and there? A serious update one day will likely find things out, but so far he's for sure enjoying the ride.

I am also in the process of closing down a website and transferring some content here and the process is a pain because there are like 4-5 websites that have stolen two-three sentences of every my article and strategically spread them across several articles.

Even though I clearly pasted the copied sections, the DMCA guys sometimes have still trouble finding it. 

I have been questioning  myself if it was worth the effort, as I could have just changed the sentences myself, but it just irks me that I have to change stuff when they are the wrongdoers in the first place.

The rest of the articles have sentences stolen from somewhere else, but overall, the reading experience isn't great because there's no flow and some sentences are incomplete.

Deleted

1. Misbah786 profile image85

Deleted

Deleted

Deleted

1. AliciaC profile image92
              AliciaCposted 19 months agoin reply to this

Deleted

Deleted

Deleted

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
                    DrMark1961posted 19 months agoin reply to this

Deleted

2. TessSchlesinger profile image60

I also came across that with my work. I guess I've just given up. I'm in the process of creating my own webssite (or rather some nice man on Medium is making me a websitte), and I will be able to blog on it.

As I will be totally insignificant, I truly doubt someone will come and steal my work, and the work will only go out to my subscription list. The other option is to write on a site like Substack where the work is only emailed.

I don't know what other options there are.

2. Rupert Taylor profile image94
          Rupert Taylorposted 19 months ago

It's a huge problem Poppy and I pretty much gave up trying to track down and disable the scum that do this. Sorry, that's not very helpful, but you are not alone in your frustration.

3. bhattuc profile image83
          bhattucposted 19 months ago

This has really become a big problem for the genuine writers. How to get the copied content removed from so many places?

4. satomko profile image90
          satomkoposted 19 months ago

I'm sorry you're having this problem, but I hope you don't stay so discouraged as to quit writing.  Using Google's DMCA form that someone else linked to is probably your best bet.  I wish Maven Media was a it more helpful if not more proactive on this front too.

5. Gregory DeVictor profile image95
          Gregory DeVictorposted 19 months ago

Poppy, I too am sorry that you are having this frustrating issue. As you already know, many of us here at HP have suffered the same fate. In my case, a jerk copied and pasted over 20 of my articles from Hobbylark and ToughNickel all over his website. It took me over two months to get everything removed. Yes, everything has been removed now, but I did have a plethora of problems with Google in the process of getting this mess taken care of.

6. Pamela99 profile image90
          Pamela99posted 19 months ago

You did the work writing the article Poppy, I am so sorry you are having this happen. It is not right, but it seems so many have this same battle. I wish HP would help a little more to protect their authors.

7. vocalcoach profile image93
          vocalcoachposted 19 months ago

It's frustrating to find so many articles stolen.  My biggest money makers have been copied word for word including my personal photos. I've begged, pleaded, and threatened these writers and websites but nothing seems to work.I feel like I'm being robbed...

1. Madeleine Clays profile image94
            Madeleine Claysposted 19 months agoin reply to this

Yes, I feel the same because you are right, we are being robbed. My efforts in contacting the websites who steal my work have been ineffective so now I file a DMCA with Google for each stolen article.  This has worked for me, as Google will remove the stolen work out of search results within a few days. (You may still see the article online but it won't come up when people do searches related to your topic.)

I have decided to dedicate a set amount of time each week to filing DMCAs with Google. Sadly, I see no other way around this at present. The only alternative, as I see it, is to let the thieves keep stealing my work and that is not going to happen.

2. quicksand profile image81
            quicksandposted 19 months ago

Hi!

Why not add an image to every article of yours containing text, warning the reader about the de-merits of plagiarism ...

I had done that right here many years ago and if you are interested I would be glad to send you that image and you could use it wherever you want!

Cheers!

Okay, I'm interested. In box me a copy. Thanks.

3. Genna East profile image83
            Genna Eastposted 19 months ago

It is disgusting to see how these soulless thieves profit from the talent and work of others.  There must be something we can do!  :-(

1. Madeleine Clays profile image94
              Madeleine Claysposted 19 months agoin reply to this

There is. File a DMCA with Google every single time. It works.

4. Ben716 profile image91
            Ben716posted 19 months ago

For more than 4 years, a certain number of my articles have been for stolen each year.
            I have learned contacting the owners of the sites who have stolen my articles to remove them is fruitless. They will either reply they'll remove the content (which most often is a lie) or not reply at all.
            I found a breakthrough by contacting the hosting websites that are hosting the thieving sites. One thing about hosting sites is that they don't want their reputation tarnished as hosting thieving sites, and are usually against the practice.
            In a few days, following my filing DMCA, I witness either the stolen articles removed, or in most cases, the sites are shut down.

1. TessSchlesinger profile image60

That's interesting. How do you find out who is hosting them? I have so many of my articles out there?

Go here and find out who's hosting the website: https://hostingchecker.com/
                Then report abuse - email at: abuse@hostinger.com
                or fill the form here: https://www.hostinger.com/report-abuse

1. eugbug profile image96
                  eugbugposted 19 months agoin reply to this

Hostinger was one of the webhosters I had trouble dealing with, They wouldn't remove content because it wasn't 100% copied.

It was beneficial to many of us in the past, but they may not hear you the first time; you must keep reminding them. When we were having problems with the website named Acpeo, they removed the whole site...I am not sure if you are aware of the chaos the website created once. The site was stealing every single article posted on HubPages. smile

2. Misbah786 profile image85

Lol! In the case of the Acpeo site, the website was even copying our author's bio mad

5. Rupert Taylor profile image94

Aha Tess! You have drawn the curtain back on my reluctance to go after the rascals. They tell us to find out the host by going to whois.com and all shall be revealed. Well it isn't.

What comes up is a page of incomprehensible gobbledygook. Here's an example of the report on a lowlife outfit that stole one of my articles:

Domain Name: PUPLOOKUP.COM
            Registry Domain ID: 1458732431_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
            Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.namesilo.com
            Registrar URL: http://www.namesilo.com
            Updated Date: 2021-12-02T21:04:34Z
            Creation Date: 2008-04-26T19:24:54Z
            Registry Expiry Date: 2024-04-26T19:24:54Z
            Registrar: NameSilo, LLC
            Registrar IANA ID: 1479
            Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@namesilo.com
            Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.4805240066
            Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
            Name Server: NS1.LINODE.COM
            Name Server: NS2.LINODE.COM
            Name Server: NS3.LINODE.COM
            Name Server: NS4.LINODE.COM
            Name Server: NS5.LINODE.COM

Can you figure from this who hosts the scoundrels and who I need to file a DMCA with? Because I can't.

I've left questions about these reports before and nobody has told me who to pick out of that mess to contact.

Hosted by: Linode, LLC

https://hubstatic.com/16152255.png

Report Abuse- email at: abuse@hostinger.com
              or fill the form here: https://www.hostinger.com/report-abuse

6. eugbug profile image96
            eugbugposted 19 months ago
          7. Rupert Taylor profile image94

Thank you for your help Misbah. I'll give it a try.

8. Rupert Taylor profile image94

A fruitless hour later. Neither the website nor its host have any contact information to which I can file a DMCA complaint. At least, none that I can find. Harrumph.

Try to fill out the form on their website. I did it yesterday.  And received a response in the morning today.
              Please see the attached screenshot:

https://hubstatic.com/16153392_f1024.jpg

They'll ask you for further information.

2. Misbah786 profile image85

Hello Rupert, I found this:

https://hubstatic.com/16153447_f1024.jpg

Maybe you can contact the hosting site (Linode, LLC) directly.

Luckily, the company encourages reports of any abuse or suspected abuse originating from their network.

Here’s the link: https://www.linode.com/support/

Hope that helps!

9. Rupert Taylor profile image94

Misbah you have gone over and above to help me, but I'm afraid I am a hopeless case. I filled out the Linode complaint form but it bounces back to me as invalid.

One line in the form has me completely baffled.

"If the IP address is obfuscated behind a service (e.g. Cloudflare), please reference the obfuscated IP address."

I haven't the foggiest idea what that means. I've tried filling in various obvious IP addresses and none work.

This why I gave up trying to file DMCA complaints. Every single time I try this sort of thing happens.

But, thanks for your valiant assistance.

No problem, Rupert.

I googled obfuscated IP address. Here's what I found:

Obfuscated servers are special VPN servers that hide the fact that you’re using a VPN. It means the IP it is showing is not correct or complete.  VPN obfuscation makes VPN traffic look like regular internet traffic by hiding traces of information about a VPN protocol in the data packets. The raw data will stay encrypted, but the DPI won’t be able detect VPN usage, unless the data packet is inspected manually.
              In turn, the VPN encrypted traffic will be able to bypass VPN blocks and firewalls. This means only a portion of the IP address is stored for statistics-tracking purposes.

I'm not sure if it's possible to track an obfuscated IP address hmm

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
          Necessary
          HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
          LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
          Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
          AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
          HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
          HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
          Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
          CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
          Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
          Features
          Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
          Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
          Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
          Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
          Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
          VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
          PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
          Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
          MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
          Marketing
          Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
          Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
          Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
          Statistics
          Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
          ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
          Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
          ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)