jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Stuck on which category to pick for new hub series...please help!

1. TamCor profile image81
    TamCorposted 5 years ago

I'm writing a series of non-fiction hubs about a group of freed slaves from Virginia.  I'm having a hard time deciding on which category to put them in, though.

Which would you pick?

"Education and Science->History and Archeology->Nineteenth Century & Victorian"

or

"Politics and Social Issues->Social Issues->:then either "Race Issues" or "Human
    Rights Issues"

I'm leaning towards the first choice, since this is from the 1800's.  The second choice might be for more current issues, do you think?

Or...am I way off with ALL of them, lol... big_smile

Thanks-

Tammy

1. NatalieSack profile image60
      NatalieSackposted 5 years agoin reply to this

To my mind, the second choice seems more appropriate.  Slavery is an issue of humanity, sociology, while the Victorian era was a cultural style.  I believe readers looking for articles such as yours would never search in the 19th century category.

As far as the subcategories in the Politics and Social Issues heading, Race issues and Human Rights Issues both fit the bill.  Perhaps you could stop categorizing after Social Issues so as not to limit the audience which finds your articles.

I agree that the whole project sounds riveting.  Best of luck with it!

TamCorposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Natalie!  Looks like I'd better go with that category then, and I like the idea of leaving it rest at Social Issues.

I hope you get a chance to read them, once I publish the first two. smile

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image98
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 5 years ago

I'd go for the politics and social issues category. Slavery was not a Nineteenth Century phenomena, nor was it a Victorian-era phenomena. It existed for many centuries and was more a political, social and racial issue. Your series can, of course, narrow it to a period in history (Nineteenth Century).  I think if someone were to search by category with that topic in mind, they'd look there.

Your series sounds fascinating!  I look forward to reading it!

TamCorposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Marcy! smile

I guess my thinking was that since this happened in the mid-1800's, that that is where I should put them.  But I see what you mean about the other category, too. 

Thanks for the encouragement--this is the first of this type of hub series that I've ever done, so I hope it passes muster, lol. smile

3. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image98
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 5 years ago

By 'look there,' I mean they would look under social, political and racial issues.

working