social-issues/begging-the-new-occupation

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Venkatachari M profile image82
    Venkatachari Mposted 6 months ago

I went this article just now and found it to be an enlightening topic. It is a common issue encountered by us all in our daily lives.

Here is the link to the article.
    https://soapboxie.com/social-issues/beg … occupation

1. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Interesting. One perspective. As the ending of the article states; "You be the judge". I will be the judge.

Venkatachari Mposted 6 months agoin reply to this

I posted my opinion already in a question format at soapboxie.com

It is good to see that this thread had been got changed into a Social Issues topic

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
            Castlepalomaposted 6 months agoin reply to this

It's both

2. Miebakagh57 profile image69
      Miebakagh57posted 6 months agoin reply to this

I read the stuff with open mind, not because it's an interesting topic. But because it's a social question that balffled mankind for decades.                                   Beggars are very poor people. As the writer of the article had noted, the First Amendment, made provision for the panhanllers. So are the  Constitutions of other countries.                                  Critically, the  Great Depression, affect other continents- Africa Asia, and Europe. But before those days, people are bound to beg, because their either poor or unable to work due to their state of mind. It can be a mental defect not caused by drug, but poor health.                                       Interestly, here in my part of the world, I've seen 3 lawyers lost they health of mind and turn beggars.

1. theraggededge profile image96
        theraggededgeposted 6 months agoin reply to this

In the UK, there are professional beggars. They are often dropped off in town centres by a mini-bus in the morning. Some drive Mercedes and leave them parked a street away.

Then again, we also have homeless ex-military men who have zero support from the country they served and the government should hang its head in shame as it puts illegal migrants in 4* hotels while ex-soldiers and teenagers shiver on the streets.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image69

Bev, 'In the UK'? I can hardly beleve it.                          Is not Great Britain and Northern Ireland technologically advanced?                                       Don't those that hold power think (twice) that they're denting the image of the Nation-State? The United Kingdom to allow its ex-military personnels to rot in the streets, is unthinkable.                                   The UK that initiated the training, equiping, and ethnics of the Nigerian military never leave such a bad example. Here in Nigeria, every ex-service men, are on a military pension, and are well taken care of, even by deploy such as security to government establishments, in the name of Nigeria Legion.                                 But in the Shehu Shagari government years, many orphane-turned-beggars in the north of Nigeria, were transported in lorries, and dumped in the Southern Christian states. The Southern Governors responded by re-transporting the panhandles back to the North.

1. Nathanville profile image92
            Nathanvilleposted 6 months agoin reply to this

There is some truth in what Bev says, but perhaps a little embellished.  Homelessness in Britain has reached record heights in recent years, partly due to subtle changes in government policies under 12 years of Conservative rule; but it’s not as bad as in the USA e.g. we don’t have the ghettos in Britain.

All too often the main reasons for becoming homeless in Britain (and no doubt a common problem worldwide) includes, but not exclusive to, drink and drugs, domestic abuse from a partner/spouse, homophobic parents chucking their gay teenager out, people not being able to cope with the responsibilities of holding down a job and paying their domestic bills etc. – and all too often those people in need (who could get help) not seeking free help and advice (out of ignorance or lack of thought) and just slipping into a downward spiral of life on the streets.

Although for those who have a gift for begging, they can make good money on the streets begging – as this first video clip shows:-

•    Homeless Man Earns £40 an Hour Begging on the Street https://youtu.be/TyRQgdIKj3o

•    Homeless documentary: a week on the streets https://youtu.be/oyJAy1A9G7Q?

As regarding war veterans, in the UK there is free government support for veterans and their families, including a helpline, Veterans Welfare Service, Defence Transition Services and injury/bereavement compensation scheme payments; and veterans may be given priority support for social housing (council housing); likewise, in the UK pregnant women, families with dependent children, and people homeless as a result of being a victim of domestic abuse are given priority housing by the government (local government) – Whether they (those in need) seek that free help and advice or not is another matter!

1. Miebakagh57 profile image69

Thank you, Arthur. Your post is a complement. It make the issue balanced.

3. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Did studied homelessness every where in North America about 15 years ago. The time Same I started building tiny houses and urban farming. Sold 8 tiny houses and own two.. Only things holding me from buildings homeless tiny house communities is the corrupted Government on all levels. Poverty is greatest killer of all. And being homeless in Canada for long enough, cuts a person life expectancy in half. And holds a death grip of a fourth world health condition.  I've only been able to pull a few people from falling through the cracks of homelessness..
      Most people could easily become homeless  when your barely making ends meet.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
    PaulGoodman67posted 6 months ago

"New occupation"?

Surely, people have been begging for thousands of years?

If it's a discussion of the topic rather than the writing, this thread should be in another category. I've requested HP move it to social issues.

I posted this thread with the link to the article as a piece of community news so that others can view it and comment on the article. But it got deviated into a social issue topic.

And, that's why I put my opinion on the concerned network itself.

2. Brenda Arledge profile image80
        Brenda Arledgeposted 6 months agoin reply to this

I did post on the article but quite honestly i dont like doing that because the author doesn't get notifications.
        They do here...if they see it and follow it.

3. Miebakagh57 profile image69

The deviation is aptly welcome because begging, is a social question.

3. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 6 months ago

Thanks for posting, Venkatachari. I read the article and left a comment. As someone who has been feeding the homeless for 30 years at my church, I had a lot to say. I found the author's tone critical and lacking true compassion. Anyway, to each his own.

Yes, the tone was a bit satirical. I felt it too. I try to help the really deserving people with whatever I can offer them.

4. Brenda Arledge profile image80
    Brenda Arledgeposted 6 months ago

Our little town puts a stop to these people.  The police offers them a ride to community action to see if they can be of assistance...if they refuse they are asked to leave.

As for nearby towns, I see them all the time.
    Sadly...some of them make more money doing this thsn actually working at a job.

As for that violin...i really don't blame the person for holding on to it.  It might be the key to getting the family back on their feet.  Alot of clubs welcome people to play for tips.

I personally have helped but I have also refused to help.  I will take some one to a restaurant or grocery store...but I will not hand them money.

Yes, it is both ways. The true beggars and the somewhat businesslike ones.
      But, sometimes, I contribute some nominal donations to childhelp organizations, etc. Some small alms to the street beggars as well those sitting at temple entrances also.
      It gives me a satisfaction that I am able to "contribute to the moon's light by offering a white thread" as our saying goes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)