HubPages Earnings Program - Can you include AlertPay and Moneybookers?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (30 posts)
  1. LasanthaW profile image54
    LasanthaWposted 12 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6404328_f248.jpg
    Currently PayPal is the only payment method available for the HubPages Ad Program.

In most countries, PayPal can only be used to send money. Funds in the PayPal account cannot be withdrawn by the PayPal account holders in those countries. In certain countries, PayPal cannot be used at all.

HubPages, why don't you include alternative payment methods such as AlertPay and Moneybookers (to be rebranded as Skrill)  in addition to PayPal so that Hubbers can select a payment method which is available in their own countries.

1. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree as many hubbers are having a hard time figuring how to get paid when they reach payout level. They could also send a check which some hubbers might also appreciate.

1. lobobrandon profile image89
        lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This has been brought up plenty of times already. But, if at all the cheque option is used the threshold for checks could be increased so that they don't lose out on postage charges. But, that would need a whole new system to be set up!

2. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What a good idea. I would recommend also e-mailing team@hubpages.com and let them know your thoughts.

2. lobobrandon profile image89
    lobobrandonposted 12 years ago

Btw i don't know how alert pay works but since its online the same as paypal I guess it should be easier to accomplish than paper checks smile

3. incomeguru profile image94
    incomeguruposted 12 years ago

The one payment option has been the reason most of us decided to ignore the HP Ad program.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I doubt that "most" Hubbers ignore the HP Ad program, because most Hubbers are from the US and they can all receive Paypal payments.

I would be interested to know how many successful Hubbers are from countries which don't allow Paypal payments.  My guess is that it's a small minority of the membership. I doubt HubPages would be interested in adding more administration by offering alternative payments methods for a minority.

If HP ignores the need for hubbers from other countries because they are minority then that is certainly not fair. Then I would suggest not signing up members from countries that don't have paypal as an option. That would allow them to seek membership elsewhere. Once HP decides that all persons are welcome to join regardless of location then the right thing to do would be to ensure that every one is treated fairly and have the opportunity to earn.

This is my oipnion people so please no attacks (I know you wouldn't attack me Marisa smile, talking about other hubbers)

Edit: Maybe a better screening process should be in place where the hubbers fill out a short questionnaire with their payment options information. Then the hubber would know up front what the options are and they could decide if they want to join or not. Then people wouldn't be so frustrated after they join, to find out they cannot join in the ad program due to payment issues.

Haha, I doubt anyone would attack that statement. It's true, Marisa you did say not many from paypal non-supportive countries are successful. That may or may not be true (mostly it is); but, have you ever considered why? I'm not saying its just you, I just thought about it myself. I guess its because even if they were successful at the beginning they may have given up and gone to greener pastures (in terms of places where they get paid easily).

Of course the HP Ad Program is unique and I doubt any other site has something like that - forgive me if I'm wrong as I'm a bit ignorant regarding other sites and I just know about the kinda famous ones.

For most hubbers, getting readers and a bit of cash pushes them on to write more, that's what makes people successful. But, if you're not going to get anything out of it people may as well just give up! - that could be the reason for the lower success rate (other than language problems).

PS: - Of course they could opt for Adsense and other stuff (just like other revenue sharing sites). But, when there's something for others they too would love to be a part of it wouldn't they? I'd certainly feel bad if I didn't have paypal and I'm sure others who presently have it would too.

I hope I'm right in what I said if not please let me know but don't be harsh whoever replies big_smile

This isn't the Religion or Political forums so there's no attacking Cardisa big_smile At least I've not come across it often on these forums wink

Hey Brandon, I am just scared of the forums these days, that's all....lol

Most people from Asia want to earn online and if they can't on HP then you find then going to freelancing sites where they get paid writing crap, and get paid crap. But these sites do have more than one payment options. Even Adsense has more than one payment option. They have a check and the Western Union Quick Cash withdrawal.

Elance has numerous payment options too. Some of the other content sites have more than one payment options as well. All I am saying is, for a site that has over 200,000 member and is growing and expanding to the rest of the world, there should be more than one payment options.

Payoneer is an online payment system that offers a card to its members. Their service is primarily for people outside of the US. Maybe HP can implement something similar and have two payment options; one for US region and one for the rest of the world.

Ya I get your point smile I've seen what people do on Elance big_smile I've been there myself! I agree and I'm sure HP will surely come up with something as the world is a small place and writers from all across are now joining in.

It's not the whole of Asia but parts of it (most parts and a bit of the African countries as well) that don't allow paypal. I'm glad that we have it smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image84

I think the language barrier is definitely one of the factors.  If English is not your first language, it takes years of study before you're able to write fluently enough to write for a living.  Even in India and Africa, where English is a first language for many, there are differences which can sound alien to American readers and may turn them off (and American readers are our main source of income).  There are also cultural differences which may mean those Hubbers choose the wrong subjects, or write about them in a way which doesn't gel with American audiences.

The other factor is that Hubbers from developing countries are often desperate for money and jump in too fast.  They either never get around to learning about SEO, keyword research etc, or they listen to the get-rich-quick gurus and do all the wrong things, and thereby get themselves banned - or make no money and give up.

Yup, that happens quite a lot I've seen many writing a few hubs then giving up!

2. Marisa Wright profile image84

It may not be fair, but it is business.  If you run a business, you should always apply a cost/benefit analysis to any new feature.  HubPages has to ask itself, "if we offer this additional payment method, will it bring in more profitable members than it costs us to run?"

Unfortunately, the reality is that most of the countries which don't have Paypal are the very countries which produce the most spammers.  So HubPages may not particularly want to encourage more members from those countries.

I know that's tough because there are many excellent Hubbers from places like India, Africa etc, but business is business.  I know some rev-sharing sites that simply won't accept members from China or the Phillipines, so HubPages is at least being open.

We do have PayPal in India smile its the other countries around that don't support it.

2. Cardisa profile image87

Thanks Marisa, I tend to think with my heart rather than my head...lol

But come to think pf it you re right there when it comes to spam and spun content. Most of the low grade articles tend to come from these countries. I agree with you.

3. relache profile image68
          relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

HubPages is a US-based, private company with investors, and they disclose any and all terms of doing business with them in their TOS which users are supposed to read before they sign up.  In fact, as part of the user agreement it states that you have read the terms, understand them and agree to abide by all the rules as part of signing up to use the site.  Not to mention, you agree to accept any new rules or condition changes that get added in the future and that if you don't like any of it you are free to take the content you own and leave at any time.

They are being fair.

LasanthaWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

HubPages terms and conditions you are talking about are not relevant here. This forum is published under "Report a problem or suggest a new feature". Here we have suggested HP to add a new feature.

During HubPages' evolution to the present state from humble beginings few years back, HP Team has taken in to account the suggestions by hubbers in addition to the creative ideas of the HP Team members. If no one suggested anything thinking about terms and conditions, HubPages may still be at the same position.

1. pedrosa profile image58
              pedrosaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@ relache , No one said hubpages acting unfair.

@ LasanthaW

Can't agree more. No one said that they didn't like the TOS.

Paypal isn't pal for many countries and it would be great if hubpages offer similar payment processors like alertpay which isn't just another  payment processor , they are bbb accredited.

hubpages is a huge site and they will really help many members of hubpages if they offer this feature.

it's a kind request.

4. LasanthaW profile image54
    LasanthaWposted 12 years ago

AlertPay is available in almost every country. Both deposit and withdrawal facilities are available in all countries but some countries more options are available in others less options. For example, following options are available:
    In USA
    Deposit to AlertPay Account
        Localized bank transfer
        Bank wire
        Certified check/money order
        Credit Card
    Withdrawal from AlertPay Account
        Localized bank transfer
        Bank wire (USD, GBP and EUR only)

In Somalia and Ethiopia
    Deposit to AlertPay Account
        Bank wire
        Certified check/money order
        Credit Card
    Withdrawal from AlertPay Account
        Bank wire (USD, GBP and EUR only)
        Check

Moneybookers say that you can send and receive money in 200 countries. Moneybookers website say:
        "Instant ATM cash out for EU residents
        Transfers can be withdawn at 1.5 million ATMs worldwide with the Moneybookers prepaid MasterCard
        Instant cash –access to received funds - as soon as it’s sent
        No bank account needed for the recipient
        Available to all residents of the EU
        Fixed ATM withdrawal fee of €1.80, no ties-in nor monthly fees"

From what you've posted I guess AlertPay is better than MoneyBookers smile

My understanding is that Moneybookers is a more organized large international network. Whatever it is, it will be up to HubPages to see the pros and cons of all payment methods available and get themselves organized.

That's true smile

5. incomeguru profile image94

I think this is rather unfair for a site like HP. So because most successful hubbers are from US,  they decided to ignore we minorities when they considered payment options.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84

It's not unfair, it's business. Think of it like this.  Say you have a shop and you have 100 suppliers to pay every month.  If they all accept payment through Paypal, all you have to do each month is send a list of suppliers to Paypal, and they process the payments for you. 

Now you have ten suppliers who want to supply goods to you, but won't accept Paypal.  Are you going to go to all the trouble of arranging a separate monthly payment just for them? 

You might, if there was a shortage of good suppliers.  But if there are plenty more to choose from, why would you?

Marisa, you have written here from the start, assuming that only a very few hubbers are there from outside the Europe and USA. Is it the real situation? That's what we have to see.

True that HP started the Ad Program about a year ago. From the start they can't go to all the options. Gradually they should improve. Just compare the HubPages today and HubPages three years ago. It was just like a third world country three years ago. What an improvement now! So, I think time has come now to include at least one more payment method to accommodate those hubbers.   Of course HP will have to see their charges, terms and conditions and own expenses.

You make a good point there LasanthaW. As with any business, all persons involved must be considered. Maybe they aren't ready to implement but at least have it on the table as an option.

I agree with you.

6. incomeguru profile image94

Hi Cardisa, you responded fine. I strongly agreed with you. We are all working together as a team, so we should be given consideration.

7. pedrosa profile image58
    pedrosaposted 12 years ago

I really need other option like alertpay or moneybookers.

paypal is pain in the .....

hope admin do something about it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)