anything new re:traffic?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (18 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 11 years ago

I have been really sick... and in hospital and now home on bedrest so I have not kept up. Anything at all new on the Google front?

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you know about the Penguin update, then there's nothing new after that as far as I know smile Others may have something to say though. Sad to hear, hope you get well and are back on your feet soon.

2. Purple Perl profile image50
      Purple Perlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Get well soon,Marye! Listen to some soulful music to relax.

1. profile image0
        Marye Audetposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps Google will change their name to Popper next

2. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

I heard there will be more Penguin updates tongue not sure what they are focusing upon with the next round though.

3. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 11 years ago

I'm pretty sure the next update will be the full Google Zoo and then they'll start giving names to the Pandas and Penguins!

1. JKenny profile image89
      JKennyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Cool idea, perhaps the next penguin update should be called Pingu or something.

2. KeithTax profile image73
      KeithTaxposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think vulture is the next update name.

4. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

Google Knowledge Graph prelaunch.

Remember my recent discussion about what Semantic Search means for content writers and how to avoid too much traffic loss? This is a form of semantic search, the kind of thing I was warning about.

5. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 11 years ago

Some more people have plunged.  A few have recovered.  General slide continues.

Since the Panda and Penguin updates and Paul E's hubs and comments, the only real development has been the introduction of the Google Knowledge Graph which GG has mentioned.

We are coming to that time of the month when they introduce new algo updates, so there might be some more turbulence soon... who knows?

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
      PaulGoodman67posted 11 years agoin reply to this

PS Sorry to hear you've been sick, Marye!

1. Aficionada profile image80
        Aficionadaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ditto that! I hope you're completely well and recuperated/-ing now.

6. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

Photos should pick up even more traffic thanks to the new Google related sear ch previews that were just announced.

1. jacharless profile image75
      jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Indeed. I just wrote a web-software tool for photo optima.
      Unfortunately, unless HP sets up a better photo storage method, it won't do much for Hubbers. Each time you upload a photo, the name is changed to a short-code of s4.hubimg.com. It should have a unique name that corresponds with the Article Title.

example:

uploaded photo name: http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6550811_f248.jpg
      actual photo/title name: PHP Captcha Generator Script Tutorial

zero photo optimization ability. sad

James.

1. Greekgeek profile image78
        Greekgeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Slight correction: there's about 20% photo optimization ability.

The caption on a photo uploaded to Hubpages gets fed into the alt-name for that graphic. So you can still get the keywords in there, at least a little bit. Also, I've noticed that in Google image search, if you mouse over each image, it shows the title of the photo capsule and often quotes a few words from nearby text. I can't tell whether that's only for display -- something to help the searcher find out the image's context -- or whether image search is actually using that text as clues to identify the image, since the filename's not there.

I agree that it is frustrating; optimizing images for traffic is one of my favorite ways to GET traffic. The caption kludge is imperfect because a caption is not the same as an alt-name. It''s a lot more text, and therefore makes it hard for image search to guess which words are what the picture actually is. But one can at least optimize that text.

1. jacharless profile image75
          jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you're right.

The need for additional text kind of defeats the purpose -or at least stretches the gum as far as possible. My experience with Bing & Yahoo is named Images. So "PHP-Captcha-Script-Tutorial.jpg" or "chocolate-mousse.png" have a better overall appearance ratio than say DSC-0009HGNMOGKTEFFboghm[1].jpg with the added caption/alt/tags.

Optimizing images is not easy without powerful scripting, because of the file type. But it can be done. I tested the modal on WP that returned considerably  more organic UV a day for a client. An non CMS return was just off the chart.

But, all in all, the most important element of SEO for Photos is this:
          Use ALL the parameters to your advantage.
          Size
          Color
          Type
          Then apply the subject {tag/keywords}
          And then see the related/trending {referral} types in that image pool.

James.

7. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

My traffic, which fell by 90% a week ago has now increased six-fold overnight. I'm not going to be regaining previous traffic on this site, because I have used this last episode as an alert call to move my best hubs over to my own dedicated web sites. However, I now seem to be able to look forward to the hubs left here becoming reactivated.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
      PaulGoodman67posted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's interesting.  Maybe what you see as your "best", Google saw as your "worst" and removed the penalty when you moved them away?  Just speculating.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)