jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (7 posts)

Morguefile Attribution Links Broken!

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image92
    mistyhorizon2003posted 5 years ago

Just noticed I have a load of links showing as 'broken' to free images I attributed correctly to Morguefile. The links to the actual images do show as broken when I click on them, but as they are all on different topics and from different sources I am in doubt as to if this can be correct. The Morguefile site is clearly still active as I have checked, and free images are still readily available. It seems highly unlikely that I suddenly have 10 different broken links to images when all of the hub subjects are different. Can a member of staff confirm if this is a known problem please?

Thanks

1. Marisa Wright profile image95
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years agoin reply to this

If they all showed broken at the same time, perhaps the Morguefile site was down at the time the link checker was run? 

Personally, I never include attribution when I use Morguefile photos, to avoid the problem you're finding - if there's no attribution, there's no risk of broken links!  The site says attribution is not necessary:

http://morguefile.com/license/morguefile/

mistyhorizon2003posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Marisa, no the site is not down as I have visited it and can still look for free pics etc, yet only the links on my hubs show as 'broken' (plus I also ran the test again manually in my account). I attributed them because HP needed photos to be correctly attributed for their last contest, and I am not sure how they would have treated a competition entry if the pics weren't attributed, (would they have allowed for the fact the images were Morguefile ones?)

I believe the broken link checker isn't constantly running, so what I meant was, maybe it was down briefly (e.g. for maintenance) when the checker was run.  But if the manual check didn't change anything, then I guess that can't be the case.

"Attribution" doesn't have to be a live link in all cases, so I think you could've covered yourself by mentioning them without a link.

That is helpful to know in the case of Morguefile, although as I understand it most of the other sites like Flickr etc seem to want a link back to the actual image as it usually seems to mention this in the various Creative Commons Licenses terms and conditions.

The interesting thing is that the Creative Commons License doesn't require a link at all.  Here's what they say about how to give proper attribution:

"Cite the author's name, screen name, user identification, etc. It is nice to link that name to the person's profile page, if such a page exists."

So you see, there's no need to provide a live link - and even if you do, it should be to the photographer, not the photo itself.  That's what I always do, because that way, I'm giving the photographer credit, but I'm not going to get a broken link even if he removes the photo.

You do need to check, though, because photographers can choose to add additional requirements - which some sites do.  For instance, Flickr asks you to link to the page where the photo appears.  I confess I didn't know that for a long time, so on most of my Hubs, I've linked to the person's Photostream not the photo. I'm not going to change them all, though - Flickr does call it a Guideline, not a rule.

Thanks Marisa, that is really helpful smile

working