Hub Challenge - Complete How To Guide
This is the ultimate Hub Challenge guide. The purpose of the challenge is to help you deliver fresh, innovative and unique content to the World Wide Web, as well as learn and have fun along the way. HubPages is an online writing community. And it’s one of the best there is. Arguably it could become the best. But – the way to excellence can only ever be done by employing an ethic. And yes … there’s always an ethic.
So join me in another Learn With Frog journey. Allow me to grab you by the hand and give you your second hearty shove in the right direction. To greatness. To recognition. And potentially a few extra bucks into your bank account.
The Hub Challenge ethic: to help you become a great hubber. Instead of a mediocre one. As I stated in the HubPages Help hub – you can do things in one of two ways: the right way or the wrong way.
Now, no Hubber on HubPages will claim that writing here is as easy as A B C. It’s not. If anything, it can be downright confusing. It’s helpful if you arrive with a talent for writing, no doubt. But better than that is arriving with a willingness to learn and grow – to explore your talent, fine tune it and develop and understanding of how and why HubPages works. That way you're guaranteed to become a valuable member of the HubPages community.
And while I’m beating the quality drum, let’s stop by a little word called ‘community’. This is probably one of the stronger points that this site offers. But … the community of HubPages will only ever be measured by the quality of its members. The quality of their work. Their combined community spirit. Their ability to understand what the word even means.
So now you’re clear on what HubPages underlying ethic is, you should have a clear understanding of what the Hub Challenge is all about.
Hub Challenge Rules
30 Hubs In 30 Days
The following is a concise version of the rules, as posted by Ryan Hupfer in the 30 Hubs In 30 Days subforum.
1. Minimum word length: 500 to 700 words
2. Content MUST be original AND unique
3. Links for any/all hubs produced and published to be placed in the official Hub Challenge Links thread
4. Complete 30 hubs in 30 days
Tips To Consider For Your Hub Challenge Journey
These are all from Darkside – the original Hub Challenge organizer.
1. Start whenever you choose. Count the 30 days from a date of your own personal choosing
2. Don’t waste your time and effort by delivering 30 sub-standard hubs
3. You are not in direct competition with other Hubbers. Your driving force, the source of your motivation should be related to your own desire to publish top quality hubs.
4. Aside from the main rules, there is no actual time limit. You are not being timed, watched or scrutinized re how many hubs you’re creating and at what rate you are publishing. You are your own quality control
5. If you’re unable to complete the full 30 within your 30 days – don’t beat yourself up. Sometimes life gets in the way
6. As much as you’re aiming to raise the bar on your own ability to create better quality hubs and earn a passive income via affiliates – remember to have fun along the way
Hub Challenge Overview – The Basics
1. Aim for a minimum of 500 words – preferably more
2. Make great use of your summary capsule and the group that you choose for your hub
3. If you’re looking to earn (in the long term) learn the basics of keyword research, identifying niche markets and how to best implement your keywords
4. Remember – great content alone is not enough
5. Presentation, like with anything you create (meals, clothing, anything you do for work, a party, a social event … anything!) needs to be a part of the whole. Don’t write 800 words and … nothing else. Insert appropriate media (pictures, videos), make best use of headers, related tags and links, if you feel they’re a required aspect of your hub
6. Always remember that you are a part of a whole. That means that as a hubber, you’re an element of the HubPages community. And a community is only as good as each and every individual. Work for the whole – not just yourself. If you deliver low quality hubs – and 5000 others do the same, be assured that the minority will affect the majority in the long term. And that will ultimately affect you.
7. Link your hubs into the 30DHC sub forum – number them as you go
8. If and when you complete you personal Hub Challenge, let the rest of the Challengers know. It’s a great way of providing feedback regarding your Hub Challenge experience.
9. If you need help, ask for it. There’s nothing wrong with your hitting a stumbling block then asking for help or clarification on an issue. If in doubt – ask. You will receive an answer.
10. Aim high – and create hubs that match your aspirations. You will see a return on your hard work.
Your Hub Challenge Tools - Neatly Packaged
Below, I've put together a package - made of of videos and links that will clarify the basics you will need to both know and understand in order to make best use of the Hub Challenge.
It includes the principles of SEO (search engine optimization), how to hub, keyword research, how to make the best use of capsules in order to present your hub and so on. This is the study part. The 'good to know' section.
Take the time to avail yourself of what's offered - you will be the better for it - before you embark upon the challenge.
How To Create A Hub - For New Hubbers
How To Turn Your Keyword Research Into A Great Hub Title
Niche Keywords - And How To Find Them
- Niche Marketing - How To Discover Niches
This is a 'one stop' Keyword Crash-Course. Outlines pretty much ALL you need to understand about the term 'niche keywords'. Read it.
- Capsules - And How They Work
Capsules are pretty much the hub of your ... hubs. Written by Darkside, this is a greatly informative hub and explains in detail waht capsules are and how to best use them.
- Creating An Effective URL
This is lifted directly from the 30DHC subforum - and was written by Darkside. Not only will it aid your abiltiy to optimize your challenge hubs, it will also help you optimize your hubs full stop - post 30DHC
- Managing Settings - Summary Text and Grouping
This takes you to HubPages very own explanation of summary text and groups. Both an important factor when creating your hubs and both are small details - but details that will improve your hubs in a BIG way.
- Pictures - Where To Find Them Online
Again, another link, lifted from the 30DHC sub forum and written by Darkside. He shares several sites that you can use for when you need a picture for your hubs. Full explanation offered on how it works.
Final Word. Or Words.
Last but not least – some responses from hubbers that have undertaken and completed the Hub Challenge. This should give you an idea of what to expect – should you both join and complete the challenge.
I learned a lot from all that stuff Darkside, Ryan and other experienced hubbers posted over here. Yes the traffic did rise, thus the earnings too. – Ultimate Hubber
The 30 in 30 was the best thing that has happened to me since joining HP. Increase in traffic, increase in earnings. - viryabo
The Hub Challenge definitely helped my traffic and earnings. I also learned that I have a lot to learn about SEO and keywords. - PJ_Deneen
I too finished the hubchallenge and my traffic is increasing aswell as my adsense earnings too. - waynet
As for me, I completed my challenge in early September. I saw a big increase in organic (external) traffic. I worked out what 'works' for me, as a hubber - I'm not a natural writer of commercial articles. My forte is to write as I think. Or rather as I view the world - which is to say that I have a rather strange view on the world around me.
One that includes Dragons, imaginary friends and lots and lots of amphibian distortion.
And so - you have the tools. I've done my best to equip and arm you to your keyboards and beyond. You have everything you need to join the challenge and turn it into a personal success story.
Now go forth ... and write like a pro!