- Education and Science
Have a TESOL Certification and an International Teaching Career
TESOL certification is a kind of certificate issued by the Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages, Inc. (TESOL), a global organization dedicated to ensuring high-quality teaching of English either as a second or a foreign language.
The TESOL certification is given to people who successfully pass TESOL’s course for teaching English to speakers of other languages, which is a field of work and expertise also referred to as TESOL.
Certification from TESOL has been increasingly made a requirement by school administrators, school owners, and even individual students of English as a Second and Foreign Language.
This is because the certification from TESOL proves that a professional has gone through rigorous training with experts screened by TESOL’s Professional Development Committee and other veterans in the English language teaching field.
About TESOL Certification
TESOL certification started becoming popular long after the initial years of globalization or the time when people from various countries began keenly collaborating in science, medicine, trade, travel, and business.
At that time in the 1960s, English has long emerged as the lingua franca of the world, the language that people use and understand in the global platform.
TESOL was then formed with the purpose of giving out TESOL certification to well-trained, qualified professionals.
Since then, this organization has advocated the needs of its professional members who work to teach English to non-native speakers in at least 140 countries all around the world.
Benefits of TESOL Certification
Having a TESOL certification has become indispensable to many professionals working to teach the English language.
- TESOL certification allows English teachers, education materials developers, school administrators and owners, as well as teachers-in-training to form a network and exchange views on various matters affecting them as an established group.
- Only people with TESOL certification can participate in the group’s conventions, where members share resources and research as well as attend fora and workshops that they can use to improve themselves as specialists engaged in the English teaching field.
- TESOL certification is also the license to access TESOL’s peer-reviewed publications, which cover a wide array of topics including English for adult education, aviation, business, medicine, tourism, university, and K-12.
Background of TESOL Certification
People who would want to become specialists or even experts in the field of teaching English to speakers of other languages choose to pass TESOL’s course and get a TESOL certification.
One kind of TESOL certification for beginner teachers of the English language is called the TESOL Core Certificate, which is awarded to people who complete the organization's 130-hour online course.
The 130 hours of online course is broken down to 60 hours of training for teaching fundamentals, 60 hours for specialization, and 10 hours for professional development.
In this course, people are taught about certain teaching principles and their application on the English instructions field. This particular online course is facilitated by instructors whose credentials passed TESOL’s requirements.
Getting TESOL Certification
- Go to the TESOL website and navigate to the Core Certificate Program page. Read through the program’s requirements, goals, and other details.
- Look through the available dates for the program.
- Review available specialties. Candidates will be asked to select one specialty before taking the program.
- Navigate to the Core Certificate Program Application Form. Download the file and save it. Fill out the form, making sure all required fields are completed.
- Send the completed Core Certificate Program Application Form either by fax or e-mail.
- Once the application form has been accepted, a Participant Agreement Form as well as other instructions on how to go about the registration process will be sent out by TESOL.
- Fill out the Participant Agreement Form and pay the fees for the program. Follow all the additional instructions sent by TESOL.
- Take the 130-hour TESOL certification course.
- Allocate about 10 hours each week for the course. Accredited instructors will guide program participants in taking the online course, giving out suggestions on how to attend workshops, seminars and training in actual classrooms.
- Get the TESOL Core Certificate. Use this TESOL certification to land English teaching jobs anywhere in the world.
Copyright © 2011 Kerlyn Bautista
All Rights Reserved
Helpful and Useful Hubs on Teaching ESL / English as a Second Language
- How to Teach English as a Second Language to Kids (Complete with FREE Lesson Links)
- Teach English as a Second Language with FREE Lessons in Speaking, Writing, Listening and Pronunciation
- Teach English as a Second Language with FREE Grammar and Vocabulary Lessons
- Why Now is the High Time to Teach ESL Courses Online
- Teach English as a Second Language with FREE Lesson Plans, Games, and Lessons for Adult Learners