Billie Kelpin profile image 91

Please translate your native language's version of the English "How are you?"

I always pass a couple from South Korea on my walk and today I asked them how to say "How are you?" in Korean. I think I understood the man who is in his 60s or 70s to say that there are various ways and after and during the war, the phrase was "Are you at peace?" or "Did you eat?" As English monolingual (unilingual?) speakers we always assume that our phrases are "universal". I was fascinated and saddened to hear that sometimes the phrase "Did you eat?" was a greeting. If your native language is other than English, what are versions of that phrase translated to English

Kylyssa profile image97

Kylyssa Shay (Kylyssa) says

• KatyWhoWaited profile image

KatyWhoWaited 22 months ago

I LOVE "how are you living" Interesting "Are you hungry?" Thanks Kylyssa. (I thought I had already answered this. Sorry it's so late.)

Thief12 profile image90

Thief12 says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 23 months ago

Aw, I was WONDERING about that. Thanks Thief12. I actually wonder what the English origin of "How ARE you?" actually is. The English IMPLIES "How do you feel," but doesn't ask it as the Spanish does. Interesting! :)

Paul Kuehn profile image89

Paul Richard Kuehn (Paul Kuehn) says

• KatyWhoWaited profile image

KatyWhoWaited 22 months ago

Paul, thanks. How lucky you are to have those languages almost native to you! Actually I lived across the street from a Chinese Laundry and Mary Lee was my best friend. I totally recognize "Ni hao ma". But how does that translate per word?