jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Education is broken.

1. tirelesstraveler profile image83
    tirelesstravelerposted 4 years ago

Teachers who molest children in California can not be fired without great difficulty
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000087 … 14368.html

1. vocalcoach profile image93
      vocalcoachposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This is astonishing to hear.  It literally makes me sick (after I get through punching a hole in the wall.)  Going to read your hub and will comment further.

1. profile image69
        mours sshieldsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Sick!

2. kathleenkat profile image83
      kathleenkatposted 4 years ago in reply to this

People have to jump through hoops to fire a teacher for any reason.

It's thanks to unions (which are the cause of strikes that pull our children out of school while the teachers complain) and tenure (which brings down education quality, because teachers no longer have to perform well to keep their jobs).

A couple months ago, in Washington state, a teacher was on the news for videotaping a kid getting bullied, and egging the other kids on to bully him.  This teacher was transferred to another school. That's it.

In any other industry, workplace harassment of any kind would be grounds for termination.

2. tirelesstraveler profile image83
    tirelesstravelerposted 4 years ago

Hadn't thought about writing a hub about this.  Some years ago I saved a newspaper article about what it took to fire a teacher in CA.  I have information.  The article was four complete newspaper pages long. Thanks for the idea vocalcoach.

working