Scientists tell us that the great apes and humans share 97% of genetic material. Does that remaining 3% of genetic material explain human intelligence AND explain why humans are so violent?
Humans are not more violent, it's their technological advancement that make it look gory.
I don't recall apes waging war or killing for no reason.
Nobody fight without reason, neither apes nor humans. And the reasons are always the same - food and sex. Well, it is not politically correct to state the obvious.
Why are you stating completely incorrect facts? Of course humans have a reason for why they fight. Try asking them. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean there is no reason. And yes, animals fight too. They aren't going to be getting into complex ideological disagreements because they cannot communicate like us, so their conflicts are more primitive, instinctual ones. If you look at the human and chimp brain you can see the apparent differences between us. Their skull is shaped differently and doesn't support as large brain growth as ours. There's likely more to the story as well, but perhaps it does lie in that '3%' of DNA.
It's not an incorrect fact that humans are violent. Look at the number of wars throughout human history. Look at the senseless killings that happen every day. I realize that there is a difference in brains size, as anyone knows, but what I am getting at is the fact that because we are more intelligent doesn't not make us less violent and more civilized.
When it comes to resources almost all animals are violent. If you could teach a gorilla how to use a machine gun he would be as violent as a human. It is the availability of weapons and the greater population strength that make human appear more violent than other animals.
Intelligence has nothing to do with peace-loving and civility, that would depend more on the nature of the animal. For instance, bonobos are innately more' peaceful because they've evolved to resolve conflict with intercourse. Your incorrect information was in indicating that other animals aren't as violent, and that humans fight for "no reason". Animals can't communicate like us plus, are confined to their natural orders but they are often violent when the proper situation arises. We just, as a species have far more opportunities and ideological conflicts that lead to 'wars' and fighting. We also have higher awareness, and less instinct. I don't know if that further answers your question.
Every day, on every street corner, in every household? Sorry, but what you're describing are the actions of a very tiny minority of people. Or, do you kill people every day, yourself?
Apes do indeed have inter-troop violent war, sometimes completely wiping out the other group (a.k.a. genocide). They have also been seen to commit murder, and infanticide at a rate comparable to humans.
So, if you met a human and an ape on the street, which one has the most probability of showing you violence?
If we can find the 3% missing - all we need to do it remove that and we will be docile and friendly.
And Pigs are supposed to be 98 or 99 percent similar to humans.
But that 3 percent doesn't mean a single thing...apes kill for territory just like humans. They maim just like humans...it's true.
I thought the difference was less than 3%. However, I was watching a documental on genes the other night on television and apparently Science has recently discovered that they've only been concentrating on about 5% on the gene pool. The other 95% up until that time was regarded as being of no consequence (because it couldn't be indentified a 'gene stuff' - if I might put it that crudely. Now, they've just started in the last year or so to look at that 95%. Should be very interesting to see what is discovered (or is in unconvered?)
I always found it interesting that humans are as hairy if not moreso than apes ours is only 'finer'
@dame that one was not human...it was ape which u encountered
Well then as a individual that is not very hairy does that mean I'm more evolved then my hairier fellows?
Not really, it just shows diversity among species.
I read a article somewhere online a guy was trying to say, the more hairier a person is the closer to animals they were but I prefer to agree with the 'diversity' among our species
3% gives humans stupidity like religion , identity etc...
It is also worth mentioning that the 97% relates to a genes with a similar function in a similar place. The rate for identical bases pairs would be far lower.
by mecheil 11 years ago
fit - fitter - fittesti know evolutionists claim they once roamed the world as well, and that the excavated remains prove so. but really, where has the fitter ones gone?i've been wondering... we see apes and men coexist even down to this day, but why can't we see the other group? it's perplexing...
by juniorsbook 11 years ago
Which is the biggest of the Great Apes?
by ShawnB2011 10 years ago
I was watching a show about when animals attack the other day n which it depicted wild animals attacking humans and us humans slay these animals for what they do naturally. In addition to that, I think zoos, carnivals and circuses should be banned altogether from being able to hold wild animals for...
by smalika 11 years ago
The paleontologists have found no evidence of the existence of the intermediate creatures that are claimed by Darwin to have existed for the conversion of one animal species to another..
by Freegoldman 11 years ago
is there a logic..
by Mikel G Roberts 6 years ago
Why do people assume that it has to be creation OR evolution?Why can't it be that God used evolution to create? It is just that we have finally gotten to a level that we can start to understand some of the "how" God did what God did...or at least we can start to comprehend the tools God...
Copyright © 2022 Maven Media Brands, LLC and respective content providers on this website. HubPages® is a registered trademark of Maven Coalition, Inc. Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners. Maven Media Brands, LLC and respective content providers to this website may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website.
|HubPages Device ID||This is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.|
|Login||This is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.|
|HubPages Traffic Pixel||This is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.|
|Remarketing Pixels||We may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.|
|Conversion Tracking Pixels||We may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.|