jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (6 posts)

What do you think of the USA educational system?

1. Nathan Mueller profile image54
    Nathan Muellerposted 5 years ago

Do you think it's a good set-up, or is there room for improvement? Any suggestions? Do we need major reform? If so, how should we go about changing it? Thoughts?

1. profile image0
      jomineposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Well all I can say is, it should be there. At the least it can provide some jobs which is the most essential thing we need. An improvement if provide more jobs, then why not?

Nathan Muellerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Education doesn't provide jobs though, unless you're talking about it as a business. It's supposed to create a more qualified work force, but does it really do that? If not, how do we go about actually achieving that goal?

1. profile image0
          jomineposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I was referring to the teaching job.

It depends on what job, if it comes to white or blue collar jobs America may have to improve, but it is not lack of education alone that cost America jobs, it is the low salaries in other nations and American technologically advanced service economy which do not need jobs.
          And if a depression is coming the only education that might help is on hunting and agriculture.

2. Seth Winter profile image79
      Seth Winterposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'd say there is alot of room for improvement in the education system. Ever go to college? How many bogus classes do you need to take just to get your desired degree? And moreover much of what you learn has to be relearned by working in your field.

I'm a nurse (LPN/LVN). Our schooling was a year long, and the thing is...I had to re-learn almost everything I learned in school when I got into the real world. They used to have apprenticeships to give you the ability to challenge and become nurses...that's a program that actually worked but...schools weren't making money at that.  Nowadays it all about making money.

I'd bring back more apprenticeship programs for careers that can do it.

Nathan Muellerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree. I went to college for aerospace engineering, but soon discovered that it wasn't for me. It also cost me close to $10,000, which is small compared to what it could have been. Since then, I've gotten out of the system and have worked on my own businesses, and it's allowed me to look at it from a different perspective.

The concept of education is good, just like many other things, but it's been corrupted by money and business. Education is basically one huge industry that started by selling a service that people wanted, and has now managed to convince the population that they need it. From a business perspective, it's absolutely genius, but like I said before, it's corrupted the actual concept of education.

I like the idea of apprenticeship programs, but you're right, it probably won't happen anytime soon because they're too focused on money.

working