jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Stem-cell Research

1. RKHenry profile image77
    RKHenryposted 8 years ago

This is got to be a topic on the minds of scientists.
    Is it as controversial as it is suggested it is?  I don't think so.  I haven't seen too many avg. Americans giving Obama criticism for lifting the Federal Grant ban.  I think this approach to science and medicine is a remarkable advancement towards finding cures and avoiding future pandemics.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 8 years ago

Now the US can get in step with the rest of the civilized world.
    There is actually a new process of creating stem cells that is less controversial.

3. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 8 years ago

I believe the American pro-lifers have politicized the issue--I don't believe it is that controversial among scientists.  It's also my understanding that stem cells can be harvested from endometrial tissue.

4. RKHenry profile image77
    RKHenryposted 8 years ago

Good points.

I personally don't think stem-cell should be a liberal or conservative issue.  It is about damn time that American Scientist get this shot at a brand new field of discovery.  Right wing religious issues should not mingle with science.  I been very disappointed with the American Supreme Court on these matters.  Science and religion don't mix.

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Didn't you make a point on another thread previously about how the American perspective has been so informed by religion it's hard for us to extricate ourselves?

But I agree.. We are often left behind the rest of the west.

So what are you, a history graduate student...or.. prof?

RKHenryposted 8 years ago in reply to this

student.

5. WHoArtNow profile image83
    WHoArtNowposted 8 years ago

Surly Stem Cell is the future of medicine? I'm not a student or anything like that, but from what I've read it has the possibilities to cure everything. Fair enough, were a long way from that, and it's still in it's early days, but can you imagine life in 50 years with this technology?

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
      Mark Knowlesposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Well, I certainly have no religious argument against it - but I am a natural skeptic and would just like to remind everyone that these are the same scientists that bought us the hydrogen bomb, mad cow disease, Australian rabbits, and the production processes that have made it dangerous for pregnant women to eat oily fish. sad

Taking an engine apart to find out how it works invariably ends in a broken engine. smile

I might be repeating myself.  I sure Ms. Lita will let me know. 

I like what's said here, "I certainly have no religious argument against it".

6. rose0208 profile image56
    rose0208posted 8 years ago

my fiance√®  has spinal cord injury and stem cells will help him recover. Lets all stop thinking about the nonsence issues and concentrate on the most important one that stem cells that are done the right way saves lifes and cures diseases everybody deserves a second chance

The medical cures and possibilities are boundless.  Must be an exciting time for you two.

working