jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Do you think stem cell research is the future of medicine?

1. Dantex460 profile image60
    Dantex460posted 5 years ago

Do you think stem cell research is the future of medicine?

And if so when do you think it will become available again?

2. bankscottage profile image95
    bankscottageposted 5 years ago

Stem cell research is going on.  They just don't have to use embryonic stem cells.  I know researchers that use bone marrow stem cells or are converting a skin cell back to an undifferentiated form to work like a stem cell.  They are working on spinal cord regeneration, growing new arteries, and maybe even someday, growing new lungs.  Their goal is to use your cells to regenerate things for your body.

Dantex460posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I did not know it went on to such an extent, it sounds good.

3. TFScientist profile image90
    TFScientistposted 5 years ago

It is available right now...just not in the States. Don't think that the states is the be all and end all of research. Per capita it is way down the list. Stem cell is certainly a future of medicine, but probably not THE future of medicine

I live in London, I don't really know laws in the states. I just hear news of how it got put on hold for religious reasons in most places, and haven't heard much since.

4. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 5 years ago

I hardly know anything about it, but I believe that stem cells along with mini robots will be the future of medicine. I don't know if you've heard about the tiny robots people (who'll be able to afford it) will be swallowing and these robots will be performing all types of operations in the body. No more incisions!

That sound interesting, its hard to imagine such a thing. All that comes to mind is nano bots from science fiction, sounds way down the line though.

2. profile image0
      Garifaliaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, of course and I wouldn't trust something like that. I can't imagine it. But when it's out there being seriously discussed, you can expect it-like you said down the line.

working