jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

What's the BIG DEAL, Really

1. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8908286.jpg
    Why some people become unnerved and quite unsettled at the sight of childfree or 1-child families?  Not every family has two or more children.  There are some people who strongly contend that childfree and 1-child families are not "real, authentic" families.   What gives here?

gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Sadly there are some people who strongly contend that childfree and 1-child families aren't truly authentic families.  They visualize family life from the 1950s as having two or more children per family.  They also feel that childfree families are not families in the truest definition of the word.  They view family as including children, the MORE the better.  They furthermore view 1-child families as somehow and somewhat......INCOMPLETE.  Go figure.

1. Sed-me profile image82
        Sed-meposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I have never known a single person who felt this way. If they did, they did not share it and quite honestly, if they did, I would think they were incredibly odd.

2. brakel2 profile image85
    brakel2posted 3 years ago via iphone

This is a very general statement. Most people I know don't give it a thought, as they believe it is none of their business. It is a decision made by parents. I think family size has decreased due to economic factors and that it is a known statistic.

gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Also, family size is reduced because of the mass availability of contraceptive methods.  People in general are becoming more educated and as the levels of education increase, family size decrease.  Mass urbanization couple with advanced levels of industrialization resulted in the increase of small families.  Broadening of female roles outside the home was another factor.

As people become more enlightened and educated, they saw small families as more beneficial overall to the father and particularly the mother and children.  Children receive more attention and individualized care in small families.  They also have more monies allocated to them beyond the rudiments.  They have a higher socioeconomic standard of living without struggle.   The availability of contraception and broadening of women's roles in addition to the liberalization of sex and marriage also resulted in a rise of childfree couples.  Marriage no longer equals to having children.

working