jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What are the sources of Ancient Indian History?

1. pankaj3625 profile image73
    pankaj3625posted 8 years ago

What are the sources of Ancient Indian History?

You can include monuments, edicts, sculptures, books, etc... Do you also believe that history of India lacks a regular historical format of details?

2. gusripper profile image36
    gusripperposted 8 years ago

If you want to start i believe you must search first all the kind of races leaves in INDIA and how they went there.As i know its one of the gratest politism ever been to earth.And a thing i suggest to look its that sculptures,architech,there are nowere like this

3. guidebaba profile image58
    guidebabaposted 8 years ago

Do you mean Harappa and Mohanjadaro? Go through your old school books from std 4 to 10 and you will learn it all.

4. profile image0
    jagat02posted 7 years ago

Writings of foreign travellers, Indian court poets, excavations of various civilisations and artifacts unearthed, current monuments are the main sources.

Past documented by families in India, passed down generations and kept in private domain can be potential sources too.

Old dusty documents kept in archives of Indian libraries, not yet digitized, are goldmines waiting to be exploited.

5. Spartan JKM profile image75
    Spartan JKMposted 7 years ago

Look up Panini on google, etc. He was a famous grammarian of the Vedic Period. The Greek emissary was Megasthenes, who apprised the west of India's advanced methods of irrigation, etc.; the ancient Graeco-Roman historians' data on the civilizations of India almost exclusively were borne out of his accounts, c. the last decade of the 300s BCE. The Pali Canon and its sub-categories is a collection of scriptures

Moreover, the ancient 'republics' of India require much extrapolation, but for all in all, they seemed to have been organized before the Greek city-states began their experiments with non-monarchical body-politics. The Licchavi tribe may have formed the first 'democracy', in a very broad sense (not completely by modern conceptions, either), out of their capital of Vaisali. A modern historian who passed away recently was one Jagdish Sharma: anything by him will be very elucidating. I don't know if he's related to an earlier eminent historian on ancient India, one Ram Sharma. The Arthashastra is an ancient treatise concerned with war practice, and was perhaps authored, at least partly, by a contemporary of Megasthenes - Kautilya (Chanakya), who was the 'right-hand' man to the great Chandragupta Maurya. The historic accounts are a big part of two famous ancient Indian epics (like the Iliad or Aeneid) - the Mahabharata and Ramayana.

Hope this helped smile