jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Mosquitoes Have No Teeth. What Piercing Mechanism Do They Use To Painlessly Pene

1. ngureco profile image84
    ngurecoposted 8 years ago

Mosquitoes Have No Teeth. What Piercing Mechanism Do They Use To Painlessly Penetrate Human Skin?

2. rvsource profile image56
    rvsourceposted 8 years ago

My guess it's called a stinger. It's simlar to what a bee uses when he stings you

3. dabeaner profile image55
    dabeanerposted 8 years ago

They have a proboscis, in what would be their mouth area, for sucking your blood.  Bwah-ha-ha!

See one of the pictures at
    http://hubpages.com/hub/mosquito-killer … ito-zapper

4. paul_gibsons profile image60
    paul_gibsonsposted 8 years ago

that is grossly unfair dabeaner lol.. the proboscis, a bit like a hollow needle or syringe, is actually mostly for feeding on nectar and various other sugars while they are short-lived adults (the larvae are much much more interesting!!!) and not just for sucking blood, which is actually usually a female activity of some species as she needs a blood meal for her eggs.... not to feed or survive..

there is actually a bit more to it than just sucking blood... it also serves to deliver a small dose of an anti clotting agent so that the blood keeps flowing until she has enough, which is what is in that itching bite... a wipe with a small drop of ammonia (which is what "after bite" is) takes the sting, or rather the itch and swelling out.

and no they have no teeth... they do have two sensory palps which can look a bit like (lots of) teeth if you don't look very carefully or under large magnification.

5. profile image0
    johnf27posted 8 years ago

Mosquitoes have strong stings which slowly enters the skin pores and sucks the blood

6. richpoore1 profile image56
    richpoore1posted 8 years ago

It is not painless I feel them sting my skin so I do not understand what you are saying? and this means everything you are talking about sorry I just ran crossed it! I don't know if you are going to speak speak about things you know about no some Trip you on speaking from a drug like weed this is what your doing I will bet! Because it sure sounds like it.

7. deenahere profile image71
    deenahereposted 6 years ago

Different types of mouth parts(Biting and chewing, Chewing and lapping, Piercing

and sucking, Sponging & Siphoning type)are present in insects.

Insects like mosquitoes,flies,bugs etc posses piercing and sucking mouth parts.

These insects live on the sap of the plants or blood of mammals which they suck after making a puncture in the epidermis or skin of the host.

working