jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you know what methaphysics is? I

1. rcisophie profile image55
    rcisophieposted 8 years ago

Do you know what methaphysics is? I

I can't resist to put here the question after seeing under this category things as astrology and numerology. Its not a critic I'm just curious smile

2. rvsource profile image57
    rvsourceposted 8 years ago

Websters; is the branch of philosophy concerned with explaining the nature of the world. It is the study of being or reality

A lot of things fall into that catergory. Often these things are referred to as "New Age" when in fact those beliefs are older than than any other belief.

3. rcisophie profile image55
    rcisophieposted 8 years ago

Thanks for your reply. smile

You entered what I call the sensitive spot - for some reason that I just don't get, people but under the metaphysics category things like «new age» or similars.

4. alexd181 profile image60
    alexd181posted 8 years ago

Metaphysics is the study of being. That's the reason that it's so easily molded into 'anything transcendental' by new agers.

5. Anarch0tec profile image49
    Anarch0tecposted 8 years ago

Metaphysics is the general branch of philosophy which explores the ultimate structure / components of nature. It is helpful to remember that the name 'meta-physics' was given to Aristotle's works which, on the library shelf, came after his works on physics. Since these latter works didn't have a title the early librarians simply called them 'meta-physics,' or vaguely, 'after-physics.' Aristotle called metaphysics 'first philosophy,' and can be understood as the study of the 'ultimate principles' of reality.

Alexd181 says metaphysics is the 'ultimate study of being,' but that is really only one small part of metaphysics. That is called 'ontology,' which seeks the question as to what is fundamentally there. Heidegger, for instance, insisted that since Plato we'd totally forgotten the question of being, and it was his job to revitalize it.

Metaphysics, as a branch of philosphy, contains not only Ontology, but also Cosmology, Cosmogony (the origins of the real), Identity and Multiplicity, Free will and Determinsm, Consciousness, and the list goes on.

Numerology and astrology can be a part of metaphysics - certainly - but it is not philosophical metaphysics, from my point of view, because it does not use systematic reasoning and clear argument - two things that are central to philosophy. I don't mean to debase those things, or religion necessarily, but just want to say that they are very different ways of exploring the worlds phenomena.

Let me know what you think ;-)

Closed to reply

working