jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Can anyone recommend a good software or audio course for learning basic Ukranian

1. quotations profile image92
    quotationsposted 8 years ago

Can anyone recommend a good software or audio course for learning basic Ukranian?

I will be travelling to Ukraine and want to pick up enough of the language to get by in restaurants and hotels, etc. The bigger publishers such as Rosettastone do not publish Ukrainian courses and I am reluctant to buy from the lesser known companies. Can anyone recommend any software or audio cds they have tried to successfully learn basic Ukranian conversation?

2. egraveski profile image68
    egraveskiposted 8 years ago

Check out the free bkyi software. The about us page gives the overview and links to the free program, upgrade (about $50) and forum.

3. Amelia Green profile image56
    Amelia Greenposted 8 years ago

I agree about the BYKI software. It combines visual and audio material and uses a method that, at least for me, seems pretty effective.

Also, have you considered the Pimsleur Basic Ukrainian course?
    It's only $22 from http://www.pimsleuraudio.com

The Basic version really is very basic, but it's an excellent way to start because the method helps you 1) pronounce words and phrases correctly and 2) really remember those words and phrases. If you don't know a word of Ukrainian and especially if you don't know any other Slavic languages, you might want to try it. That course alone probably wouldn't be enough to get by in every tourist-type situation, though.

I just checked and apparently the Teach Yourself series has Ukrainian (by Olena Bekh and James Dingley). That's also a very good series and will definitely give you enough to get by comfortably. It comes with a book and cassettes (or audiobook). Amazon has it.

Also, you might try something like http://www.livemocha.com to find a native-speaking conversation partner, too.

4. Edgeon profile image59
    Edgeonposted 8 years ago

Having lived in Ukraine for three years, I can tell you that you're better off learning Russian.  The reason is that Russian is the dominant language in the major cities, including Kyiv, and knowing basic Russian will help you out if you travel to other countries in the region such as Belarus, Moldova, Georgia or Russia.